• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TOHO Acquires 6% Stake in Makoto Shinkai's Studio CoMix Wave Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:24 am Reply with quote
Did I foresee this happening or was this just coincidence? I'm gonna go with the latter.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:48 am Reply with quote
Read: Shinkai will be making anime for Toho until an unforeseeable future (as if it's not obvious already).
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:57 am Reply with quote
I’m surprised this made the news. A 6% stake in CoMix is such a small amount that it seems like this is nothing more than a “we believe in you” investment. I.E. don’t think too hard about this investment.

I guess Japan has the same stock reporting laws as the US. In the US, you have to declare once you acquire more than 5% of a companies shares. ANN must have setup an Alert for any disclosures Toho makes.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Read: Shinkai will be making anime for Toho until an unforeseeable future (as if it's not obvious already).
I mean, ain't he already - considering his movies for last 11 years were distributed by no other than Toho?
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:28 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
I mean, ain't he already - considering his movies for last 11 years were distributed by no other than Toho?

My point exactly. It's as if they were afraid he would secretly make a deal to make movies for their rivals, Aniplex for example.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
My point exactly. It's as if they were afraid he would secretly make a deal to make movies for their rivals, Aniplex for example.
Nah, it's very doubtful - Shinkai pipeline of movie production doesn't add up with Aniplex at all, and it's also very doubtful that he's lower his back to their demands.

If anything, it seems like Toho just want to invest to their long-term partner for benefit of their own instead of trying to circumvent the possible contract rivalry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1