• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aoni Production Agency, CoeFont Collaborate on AI-Replicated Voice Service Trained on Voice Ac

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:34 am Reply with quote
are the ai models made with concent with the seiyuus in question...? are they getting paid?

either way just kill me now
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:48 am Reply with quote
If this is being done with the consent of the seiyuu and they're getting paid I don't see how this is any less ethical than something like SynthV or Cevio.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
It was inevitable that this would happen. Mimicry is one of the jobs reinforced learning AI is very good at. This being Japan I am sure their contracts stated they could do this, whether or not the voice actors knew about it when they signed.
TyroKith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:53 am Reply with quote
PipimiOden wrote:
are the ai models made with concent with the seiyuus in question...? are they getting paid?
[snip]
either way just kill me now

Without even having to look into it I'm sure the answers are: yes and yes.

What a strange post.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:58 am Reply with quote
Article: "Talent management agency Aoni Production and AI voice platform CoeFont announced a new partnership on Monday. The first project under the partnership uses vocal data from 10 voice actors, including Masako Nozawa and Banjō Ginga, to create AI-replicated voices for use in virtual assistants (such as Alexa and Google Assistant), medical devices, robots, and voice-assisted navigation."

Medical, robots, and voice-assisted navigation seems fair game to me, provided the seiyuu did consent and got or are getting paid. Now, over-relying on such automated technology can still be bad as it cannot match every thing that a person would do performing such a task.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
If this is being done with the consent of the seiyuu and they're getting paid I don't see how this is any less ethical than something like SynthV or Cevio.

Most AI haters I see don't have much thought beyond "ai = bad".

Masako Nozawa has been a staunch supporter of AI for years now. I hope she can keep voicing Goku forever with this.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
People put the word AI onto anything these days but the TravelPilots with the Legend-era voice of Lara Croft or the way Roger Ebert´s voice was reconstructed from audio commentaries offered the very same service.

It is great that any of the famous voice actors can be replaced by AI being trained on clips in their prime after dying or aging out of the role? Certainly not but that´s where the market wants to go, no matter what they tell you. The augmented Darth Vader voice Disney recently cursed us with has no life at all and of course takes the opportunity from a real human to deliver a new take but that costs money won´t tingle your member berries.
Will AI also replace the problematic actors or even better, will the AI voice of such people also be put in Hollywood jail if the real person goes rogue? That last option is hella funny but the problem too predates the post-ChatGPT conversation. 2018: https://www.thecut.com/2018/05/morgan-freemans-voice-pulled-from-vancouver-public-transit.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hapoga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:05 am Reply with quote
Eh, honestly, even putting aside the whole consensual, moral, ethical thing, I just kind of think that eventually roles should be inherited by someone else.

No matter how iconic Masako Nozawa may be, it would be ridiculous to hear Goku with her voice till the end of time.

Bulma was replaced, Yamcha is getting replaced, many iconic character had their voices replaced over the years, not just in Dragon Ball, of course.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
Hapoga wrote:
Eh, honestly, even putting aside the whole consensual, moral, ethical thing, I just kind of think that eventually roles should be inherited by someone else.

No matter how iconic Masako Nozawa may be, it would be ridiculous to hear Goku with her voice till the end of time.

Bulma was replaced, Yamcha is getting replaced, many iconic character had their voices replaced over the years, not just in Dragon Ball, of course.

In general, replacements for actors has been the norm. A franchise outlives a performer, somebody retires, a younger version of the character is played by somebody who somewhat looks like the original, etc. I thought it was strange to use a CGI Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One when the actor who played him died in the 90's. Audiences are used to it happening, and are understanding of situations where recasting is unavoidable. It seems more like something companies want than any real audience demand.

It's more annoying for the audience when something like a change in who licensed something results in a change in voice cast, but again, AI-replacement is less about helping there, and more about not needing the actors at all.
CreativelyFwrd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
There also shouldn't be any more Dragonball without Toriyama but I'm pessimistic Jump and Toei are going to let the franchise end after Daima. Ideally there'd be no need for this since Goku won't need to be voiced forever but from all the AI music and voices I've heard speech synthesis is one of the best areas AI excels at.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:35 am Reply with quote
gross. AI should not be used for any kind of art.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:51 am Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:

The difference between AI and previous forms of automation/mechanization is that nobody would prefer to dig a hole with a pick-ax and shovel if they could use jack-hammers and bulldozers instead, but voice acting, writing, painting, etc., are all fun jobs that people like doing. Nobody is better off by bringing AI into the arts except corporate CEOs who get to cut costs very slightly.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
i got the shivers! wrote:

Masako Nozawa has been a staunch supporter of AI for years now. I hope she can keep voicing Goku forever with this.

I can't believe I have to actually spell this out, but she won't, because after she eventually passes away, she won't be able to. An AI copy of Nozawa's voice is not Nozawa.

Like, I find it incredible that so many people who purport to be fans of an artistic medium are so quick to completely cast aside the "art" part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1