• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Adds F-Zero - GP Legend, F-Zero Climax Games to Switch Online Library

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:12 am Reply with quote
This announcement is a bit of a double-edged sword of frustration for me - F-Zero GX is in my mind, one of the greatest games ever made. The level of challenge and the skill ceiling on it is insane. GP Legend could never dare hope to capture even a tenth of what GX accomplished on the Gamecube, yet it's a shockingly-competent Mode7 portable interpretation of what F-Zero X and GX does on their respective consoles. So much so that F-Zero 99 returning to the style of game that the SNES version is, offends me. 99 should have been literally any version of the game other than the SNES one, in my eyes.

For the longest time, Climax has been the holy-land final adventure of Captain Falcon - it's the last proper F-Zero game, and only Japan ever got to see it. One of the main attractions of GP Legend is in fact its story, and I'm fairly certain I recall it hanging on a cliffhanger. They'd tried doing an anime show to tie into the game, but both the show and GP Legend were released at a time in America where 4Kids was butchering things left and right, Fox only ran something like 15 episodes and then cancelled it, and whether or not Japan actually got to see a full & concluded story, us fans in the US got shafted by missing both the rest of the anime that got cut, and the final game associated with it.

I'm hearing that in this Switch release, they didn't translate Climax. I'm absolutely gutted if this is true. While it's amazing to think that in 2024, Climax will actually be able to play online with other human players, I'm still devastated that the controller guide for it, the story for it, all of the character profiles for it.... all of it won't be readable for a majority of the US audience that has been dying to see this game for ages. It was only in the last few years that Climax received a full 100% fan translation, so if you want to go play it in English that way and then come back on Switch to play online, that's certainly one way to do it but....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1