• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Metaphor: ReFantazio Respects Your Time By Turning Dungeon Traversal into a Fun Little Mini-Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This is looking really fun but I’m already planning to buy Ys X Nordics next month so will have to put this one on hold for now.
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
There is one mechanic that might entice you to still fight weak enemies in squad battles, though. Your archetypes Rank up not by experience earned, but by being actively used in battle. It's an interesting trade off.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I kind of want to try the game but knowing it is as long as Persona 5... that is too much for me in several ways.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:45 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard mentioned in the This Week in Games thread last time that Hashino was off of Persona 6.
Quote:
Yeah, Hashino has done a lot to popularize Persona, but there are a ton of valid criticisms to be made about the Persona games under his direction and how they handle stuff like relationships (from a guy who's "never been friends with a woman") or handle queer characters without making them gay-panic jokes. Lots of other RPGs (especially ones that have taken cues from Persona) have done way better with all of this, and it's been long overdue for Persona to adapt to the times. I'm really looking forward to what Persona 6 will look like without Hashino.

Hashino being involved in Metaphor massively deflates my interest in playing, and I'm getting Nomura vibes with how the main character looks like someone wanted their Persona 3 OC to headline the game.

Some of the feedback I've been catching from the demo players, is that they were apparently expecting more Persona and social stuff, and the violence and darker SMT lean caught them offguard.

I'm of the belief that the superior Persona gameplay is in Persona 5 Strikers - you get full party control, your Persona has all of its abilities and spells, you have to control everything in realtime, and combat and navigating is pretty smooth & seamless without needing to halt & battle-UI every time a combat starts up. It's the one area where Metaphor actually caught my interest - I'd rather be spending my time playing SMT4 and enjoy roughly the same sort of aesthetic, however Metaphor allowing that Paper Mario-esque "wipe them out before battle" mechanic might actually be enough to make me at least try the demo.

Given reactions to the demo, I'm betting that Atlus is in for a sore awakening - they're pushing this with Sega like it's their next big major release, but I'm betting that the shift in tone and the weird "Do you like my Persona OC!??" design of some of the party characters is going to bump this down to the sort of audience niche that Catherine tends to sit at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1