• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Land of the Blindfolded cover

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
There are at least two different covers for this series published by CMX, which I will name A and B for convenience. I have volume 2 with cover A has a white side with a light green rectangle at the bottom with the volume number and large CMX in light blue written vertically. The front cover has a image that is framed in an eye shape with the CMX logo at the top left. The back cover similarly has a picture framed in the eye shape with a summary that is slanted. Here is an example of front cover type A. I have volume 1 with cover B has a green side with a dark green arch at the bottom with the volume number. The CMX logo is written horizontally at the top and encased in some design. The front cover consists of an entire picture with the title at the bottom. The back cover has the summary written horizontally and a picture occupying half of the page, divided horizontally. Here is an example of front cover type B.

Dimension wise, they have the same height and width, but type B is slightly thinner than type A. This, as far as I remember, applies to all volumes, probably due to paper type. Type A also seems to be less flexible than type B, which also leads me to believe type B uses a thinner paper.

Well, after getting the first two volumes in different covers, my obsessive compulsiveness got the best of me, and I'm trying to find the set in a single cover type. I'm guessing what happened here was that CMX published some or all of the series in one type of cover then switched over for later prints. I don't think they are two different editions, since there is only one ISBN number that refers to each volume, and I found covers of both types listed corresponding to those numbers. If you know, please tell me which one, if either, is the type that's still in print so I can collect that type of cover.

For those who might be interested in this 9 volume series due to the title, it's about a group of 3 high school students who have the ability to see a person or object's future or past when they have contact. The blindfold is a metaphor for normal people's inability to see. It's an interesting shoujo high school romance meshed in these people's use of their powers.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Style B is the one you want to go with for consistency. They originally printed them in style A, but they redesigned their publication style in the middle. Kind of like how logos keep changing on TokyoPop and Viz books. I believe the change over happened at volume 5. All of my volumes 1 - 4 were the first printings and are style A. I stopped reading the series after that, but IIRC I noticed the change with volume 5.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank you. I was hoping that B was the type that is current (I prefer the softness of the page, though I think I like the partially cropped picture for the A type cover). It's somewhat annoying that Borders seems to still have both types in their central warehouse though. I assumed B was the later type because inside volume 1 was an ad for the first 5 volumes, which suggested that it was put together after 5 volumes were published, but when I ordered volume 2 from Borders, type A was the one that came. Maybe if I ordered them frequently enough I'll get lucky and end up with type B.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Heh. They may get frustrated if you just order a bunch to see which cover you get. You could try online sources that have the actual image of the item. It may make it easier on both you and your book store.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I've had this problem too! I have all of the Type B versions except for volumes 5 and 8, so I want to replace them for consistency's sake.

I've tried every online manga retailer I've frequented in the past but to no avail (Amazon, eBay, JustManga, Half.com, Barnes & Noble, Anime Nation).

Could anyone recommend another reliable site where I can buy these two Type B volumes? I love this series so much and it's getting harder and harder to find it.

I saw that Rigtstuf has the whole series listed, but its preview image of vol. 5 looks like the Type A version. Has anyone ordered their copies from them before and if so could you be kind as to tell me whether they were Type A or Type B?

Thank you so, so, SO much for any help in this! This remains one of my all time favorite shoujo manga and I desperately want to collect it all.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
@AshenPhoenix
Have you tried Alibris? You might be able to message the individual sellers to ask what color the spine is. You could also message The Right Stuf, they've got great customer service. RACS has 5 and 8, I'd message them too. Still, seeing how it's OOP, I wouldn't be so eager to get rid of your Type As until you've secured the Type B. Better to have it mismatched then not at all, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1