• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Date A Live Will Win Your Heart

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:25 am Reply with quote
I dunno about you guys, but for me, I love DAL because despite its silly premise, time and time again it manages to blow expectations with the plot. (I mean, the literal plot. Not THAT plot.) Also, the characterization can often be surprising. Add that with the backstory development after Isaac and Ellen show up, it becomes genuinely interesting.

I understand it's the usual case where the LN is better. But even so, there's something really charming about the games and anime.

It's the kind of series where if you get it, you might end up REALLY liking it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first two series enough to eventually collect all the light novels (and spin-offs) but annoyingly I’ve never seen anything past season 2 because Kaze (Viz
Media Europe) streamed the first two series in the UK but by the time Season 3 was simulcast by Funimation UK I needed a rewatch but the first two seasons had vanished and never been released on disc here so I never did watch it. Even with Crunchyroll’s buyout of VME they have never resurfaced here, and even S3 has been removed from Funimation’s UK lineup at some point, although it is (now?) available on CR.
I’m also reminded that I started reading the English LN and never finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
Date a Live came up with its concept and stuck to it- I gave up on that OTHER series when I figured out I cared more about Asia than any character in the series would; She had her story and now she's stuck as a member of the cast contributing nothing. I just stopped caring just 1 epsiode before season 2 of D x D ended.

I wonder how Date a Live avoided that, oh right, they created characters rather than just abusing character traits.

And I'm in the crowd that finds Origami to be the best character as Kurumi is just a contrarian who's in on the plot. If she ever crossed the line to either hero or villain, she's done for. Origami just keeps peeling back layers and she herself discovers who she is under those layers. "Origami became a spirit." Yeah but there's a lot more to it than that as she didn't just become what she hates....
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
AFAICT most fans are in it for the girls; today is the first time I see someone praising DAL for its comedy. As for myself Kurumi was the biggest source of entertainment I got out of the story.

This more or less sums up my feelings on DAL; it's the girls and romance that won me over. Kurumi is easily my favorite, but Tohka herself is no pushover for the title of best girl.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I am overall glad the series has made it to the 10 year mark, and will get another season. I also appreciate how Kurumi is still ranked at like #1 when it comes to Waifus. This is beating out the likes of Asuna, Saber, Rin, Rias, Miku Nakano. When it comes to Waifu contests, there is fierce competition, and repeatedly getting #1 isn't an easy feat.
I am also a huge fan of the character and spirit designs. Tsunako is a master artist and her work on Neptunia shows that. Even glad they got a Date A Bullet spin off. I do wish Kadokawa put more effort into promoting and selling this franchise.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:48 am Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
Whoof, I don’t know about this one, chief. My friends and I rolled Date A Live during a recent Crunchyroulette session (hitting Crunchyroll’s random button and watching the first episode of whatever comes up, no matter how bad) and it was unmitigated, stomach-turningly unpleasant, painfully unfunny suffering. A real Crunchyroulette hall of famer. Maybe it improves from there but given that the anime decided that the best foot it had to put forward was approximately eight billion consecutive panty shots of the protagonist’s little sister in the very first scene...I have doubts.

Most entertaining show I've seen in nearly 40 years.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:54 am Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
AFAICT most fans are in it for the girls; today is the first time I see someone praising DAL for its comedy. As for myself Kurumi was the biggest source of entertainment I got out of the story. I rarely find "comedy" anime funny (shows like Cromartie and Saiki K are the rare few anime that can tickle my funny bone), but I sure love tsunako's designs. IIRC she stated that she'll be collaborating with Tachibana Koushi on a future work, so there might be a sequel or something down the road.

That's funny because the main reason I watch anime is because of the humor. American humor in movies and TV series to me just plain sucks, lol. Very cringe worthy. Anime humor, especially in harem and rom coms is what I love. Date A Live is my all-time favorite series. If I like any humor here in America it would be comedies from like the 1950's or 1980's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2