• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
And thus ends round 2 for Bracket A. Some very close matches. Several kept going back and forth with 2 almost being tied until the very end. There were only 2 big blowout victories. Which is ironic as Alita had a much tougher time in round 1. It also seems that "D" is just Cobra's kryptonite.

A1 Claire Stanfield (Baccano) 4 vs. A30 Satoru Gojo (Jujutsu Kaisen) 5

A2 Balalaika (Black Lagoon) 7 vs. A18 Sanosuke Sagara (Rurouni Kenshin) 2

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) 7 vs. A25 Cobra (Space Adventure Cobra) 2

A4 Balsa (Moribito) 3 vs. A20 Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tale) 6

A6 Re-L Mayer (Ergo Proxy) 1 vs. A19 Eikichi Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka) 8

A7 Guts (Berserk) 8 vs. A15 Kyojuro Rengoku (Demon Slayer) 1

A8 Lancer (Fate Franchise) 6 vs. A12 Leon McNichols (Bubblegum Crisis Franchise) 3

A9 Alita (Battle Angel Alita) 9 vs. A13 Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury) 0

A11 Alucard (Hellsing) 5 vs. A14 Jubei Kibagami (Ninja Scroll) 4
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote
Here are the round 2 matches for Bracket B. We actually have our first triple threat matchup. Thanks to my idiocy and not counting correctly when deciding on the total number of contestants, after the first round any WITHOUT a tie in them created an odd number of participants for round 2. Thankfully Bracket B was actually the only one without a tie in the first round. I will post the first of the Runner's Up brackets tomorrow afternoon. Did the family thing tonight and I am just tired. I'll also post mini-game updates along with it.

Round 2 Bracket B

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B27 Nicholas Wolfwood (Trigun)

B2 Hei (Darker Than Black) vs. B24 Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B23 Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)

B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) vs. B21 Escanor (7 Deadly Sins)

B5 Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. B19 Ryo Saeba (City Hunter)

B6 Char Aznable (Gundam) vs. B17 Father Anderson (Hellsing)

B7 Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis) vs. B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise)

B9 Hiko Seijuro (Kenshin) vs. B13 Dark Schneider (Bastard) vs. B15 Kyouma Mabuchi (Dimension W)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Honestly, I think Vash is more badass than Wolfwood. So if anybody from that series is advancing, I'd rather it be him.
----------

The Major is the complete package. Hei had a bit of a breakdown into the 2nd season of DTB.
----------

Spike is the ultimate cowboy, and I feel he should beat out all the other cowboy candidates in this tourney.
----------

----------

Ryo is a bit too goofy sometimes. Mustang has his comedic moments, too, but I feel Ryo's slapstick is a bit detracting.
----------

Either Char or Hiko should advance deep. Shuichi Ikeda puts so much of those characters into great context.
----------

----------

B9 Hiko Seijuro (Kenshin) vs. B13 Dark Schneider (Bastard) vs. B15 Kyouma Mabuchi (Dimension W)

To me, Kyouma is the most underwhelming of these three. I feel Schneider is less badass because that series is full of so much ecchi and fan service. So I will go with Hiko.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
First up is the mini game update. Remember, points go up by 1 for each correct pick in subsequent rounds as the tournament processes. So round 2 points are 2 per correct pick. Round 3 will be worth 3, etc. So with that in mind here are the results for this last bracket, and the combined totals.

Round 2 Bracket A:
Psycho 101 - 18
Sentire - 16
Hikari14 - 16
Tony K - 14
Beltane70 - 12
Calathan - 10

Total
Psycho 101 - 76
Tony K - 72
Calathan - 70
Beltane70 - 70
Sentire - 68
Hikari14 - 49
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Here is the first bracket for the Runner's Up portion of the tournament. This part will be done with 2 large brackets. I have randomly drawn names to make the matchups. Once we get down to winner from each of the 2 brackets they will face off head to head. Due to the length of the brackets no arguments or justifications are needed for the first few rounds. They are of course always welcomed, but none will be required until later rounds once the field is whittled down some. Make sure you label which set of votes are for which "brackets" so I don't confuse myself. As in label the main votes "Bad Ass Tournament" and the others "Runner's Up" tournament. Without further ado here is the first of the Runner Up Brackets.

Runner Up Bracket 1:

C32 Sylia Stingray (Bubblegum Crisis) vs. A31 Busujima (Psycho Driver)

A27 Gabimaru Rikiya (Cyber City Oedo) vs. B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave)

B22 Byakuya Kikuchi (Bleach) vs. B11 Genos (One Punch Man)

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. D25 Toshio Ozaki (Shiki)

A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter) vs. C28 Shagia Frost (Gundam franchise- Gundam X) 0

C29 Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats) vs. C8 Wolfgang Grimmer (Monster)

B26 Kurau (Kurau Phantom Memory) vs.D31 Isamu Dyson (Macross Plus)

B18 Leone (Akame ga Kill) vs. A33 Saki Asamiya (Sukeban Deka)

A21 Kisuke Urahara (Bleach) vs. B8 Archer(Emiya) (Fate franchise)

B31 Kazuki Fuse (Jin-Roh) vs. A17 Reiner Braun (Attack on Titan)

D11 Metal Bat (One Punch Man) vs. D2 Jiraiya (Naruto)

D23 Ippo Makunouchi (Hajime no Ippo) vs. A34 Umibozu (City Hunter)

B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter) vs D18 Shigeo "mob" Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100)

A16 Itachi Uchiha (Naruto) vs. C14 Lady Eboshi (Princess Mononoke)

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. C17 Perfect Cell (Dragonball franchise)

D27 Ayanokoji Pai (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon) vs. B14 Shinobu Kocho (Demon Slayer)
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Badass tournament Round 2 Bracket B (sorry no clue what's going on as always)

Nicholas is badass, but bad luck against Levi here, don't think he would stand a chance.

I was about to vote Hei but... not against Motoko Kusanagi, poor Hei. He has his moments, but you just can't beat that woman, who is incredibly skilled at everything she touches and is able to manage a whole team of other badasses.

Don't know Soul Eater, can't imagine he could go against Spike in this contest...

Maybe I have not seen enough of Seven Deadly Sins, but Escanor did not strike me as a badass as much as lets say Ban, so vote to Revy it goes.

I think Mustang has more 'fun' moments in the first FMA series, and more badass moments in Brotherhood, the way he disposed of (can we do spoilers?) one of the seven deadly sins in particular was probably one of the most cruel and yet captivating fights I have ever seen in anime.

coin toss

As I am unfamiliar with either, had to judge by a few YT clips.

It took me a moment to realise who he was (not promising)- but someone who can take Kenshin on needs pretty amazing!
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Runner up bracket

Runner Up Bracket 1:

A27 Gabimaru Rikiya (Cyber City Oedo) vs. B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave)

A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter) vs. C28 Shagia Frost (Gundam franchise- Gundam X) 0

D27 Ayanokoji Pai (3x3 Eyes Legend of the Divine Demon) vs. B14 Shinobu Kocho (Demon Slayer)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Don't know Soul Eater, can't imagine he could go against Spike in this contest...

Maka Albarn is a teenage girl.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Here's my votes for round 2 bracket B:

Levi acts more badass and takes down foes who are more powerful-seeming in relation to himself. Wolfwood on the other hand kind of takes a back seat to Vash.

Hei gets my vote for being being able to take down foes with special powers even without his own, and for being even more of a badass when he does have powers.

I didn't find Maka to be very badass. She can act that way on occasion, but not most of the time. Spike is just much more badass in my opinion.

I've not watched Seven Deadly Sins and have seen Black Lagoon. While Escanor certainly seems badass in the clips I've seen, I'm giving my vote to Revy since I know she is a badass from watching her show.

Ryo is just more badass in my opinion (at least when he is actually up against enemies and not just acting lecherous). He seems to have an attitude that he can take on anyone and the skills to back it up.

My opinion of Father Anderson is still that he is more of a caricature of a badass than a fully-realized character, which makes me not want to give him my vote. So I'm giving my vote to Char.

Vegeta might lose a lot of his fights, but he is basically the king of the badass attitude, so he gets my vote.

Among the three, I'm giving my vote to Dark Schneider for having a badass attitude and being a badass in a fight. Seijuro is also certainly a badass, but I don't think I can give him my vote since he spends most of his time on the sidelines not helping the main characters. Kyouma just isn't as badass as either of the other two.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
And here are my votes for the runner-up bracket 1:

I don't really remember much about Busujima, but I also don't think I found Sylia that badass. Burujima certainly looks more badass.

I've not seen Cyber City Oedo, and Brandon Heat was definitely a badass.

Genos basically loses all his fights and always gets in over his head, so Byakuya gets my vote.

Just voting for Lind because I've not seen Shiki.

For an old man, Netero is quite badass, both in terms of his abilities and his confidence.

I'm not sure I'd describe Grimmer as a badass. He certainly has the skills, but I'm still not sure that is the word I'd use for him.

Again, voting for the person whose show I've seen.

Leone was pretty badass, so she gets my vote.

I still don't get Archer as a character, but he was pretty badass, while Urahara doesn't really act badass in my opinion.

I don't think Reiner is that badass, but he is more so that Kazuki in my opinion. At least his powers are badass.

I didn't really think Metal Bat was all that badass in season 1, while Jiraiya is pretty badass when he is serious.

I've not watched Hajime no Ippo and haven't watched City Hunter up to the point where Umibozu appears, but Umibozu looks more badass.

Gon can be pretty badass, while Shigeo doesn't act like a badass at all in my opinion, despite being quite powerful.

I think Lady Eboshi is very badass, while Itachi basically has an emotionlessness to him that makes me not consider him a badass despite him being powerful.

Again, seen one show and not the other, so I'm voting for the one I've seen.

Once again, voting for the show I've seen.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Busy watching more live-action movies, so no anime, this week (again).

Runner Up Bracket 1

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Round 2 Bracket B

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B27 Nicholas Wolfwood (Trigun) - I think Levi simply has Wolfwood outclassed here. I like Wolfwood, but I think Levi just gives off the more badass aura due to his actions and normal demeanor. I will grant Wolfwood points for style though.

B2 Hei (Darker Than Black) vs. B24 Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell) - This is a tough one but I think over all Hei has more of a badass aura and demeanor to him by a slim margin. I do think it is lessened in season 2, but in the GITS movies and in SAC the Major is more capable and a great leader than badass. Despite it's flaws in Arise she is more badass in demeanor and aura. Not simply having badass moments during combat like in SAC and the movies. So to me they both have a bit of a "wash" as neither is fully badass all the time in their respective franchises. With that in mind and comparing their attitudes, demeanor, style, and badass moments in, and out, of combat I think Hei gets a slight edge.

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B23 Maka Albarn (Soul Eater) - I love Maka and her attitude, but Spike simply has badass and cool in spades.

B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) vs. B21 Escanor (7 Deadly Sins) - Much like the previous matchup this one is just 1 sided to me. Escanor certainly has some serious badass swagger and aura to him. Revy though just has that much more. Though I will say of the 3 Black Lagoon ladies in the tournament I have her at #3 among them.

B5 Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist) vs. B19 Ryo Saeba (City Hunter) - This is actually rather tough. Both are cocky, both are powerful within their series, both have that never give up and I can do anything mentality, but where it differs just a tad is with swagger. I think compairing them with that badass swagger both inside, and outside of combat, is where Ryo has the edge. It's the outside of battle part. Without that I have them as pretty much equal, so with Ryo

B6 Char Aznable (Gundam) vs. B17 Father Anderson (Hellsing) - Whether he might be a caricature of a badass or not I think he simply is a bigger badass than Char. Given how over powered Alucard is Anderson has to be equally badass to give him a real fight within the show. Plus when he took the nail from the cross and stabbed himself with it transforming himself, that was badass.

B7 Priss Asagiri (Bubblegum Crisis) vs. B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise) - I agree that Vegeta is basically the king of badass atittude. Ironically as his cockiness gets tempered more as the franchise goes on he becomes more confidant and an even bigger badass. He was a bigger badass by Super than at the start. Compare him in the Saiyan Saga to in Resurrection F movie, or that part of Super. He still has that badass aura to him, but it's less due to cockiness, and more due to confidence and an all around aura. He's a rare case where as the over the top badass "look at me I'm the king" attitude wanes, his true badassery rises.

B9 Hiko Seijuro (Kenshin) vs. B13 Dark Schneider (Bastard) vs. B15 Kyouma Mabuchi (Dimension W) - TBD - Need to finish debating this. Will update this tomorrow. Wanna watch more Bastard clips to really chew on this 3 way matchup.

Edit: Updated the last bracket for myself. After watching more clips, re-reading previous arguments, and lots of internal debating I'm giving the 3 way matchup to Schneider.

Runner Up Bracket 1:

C11 Lind (Oh My Goddess) vs. D25 Toshio Ozaki (Shiki) - See back to my earlier arguments for Lind and her badassery.

B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter) vs D18 Shigeo "mob" Kageyama (Mob Psycho 100) - With these 2 they're both just pure characters and only get badss when pushed past a certain point. We only really see it once with Gon at the end, we see it 2-3 times with Mob.

{edit}: I accidentally bolded both Motoko and Hei in the 2nd match. Originally was voting for her but changed my mind during making the post but forgot to un-bold her name. Removed the bold around Motoko as I voted for Hei.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Still another day for votes. Missing several of our regulars. Wink
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
Round 2 Bracket B

This one makes me sad...I know that's the point of these contests, but its painful to vote against Wolfwood...yet I will and probably only because it's been too many years since I've watched Trigun and AoT is fresher in my mind...they both deserve to be here for sure.

Hard to not vote for her when she exudes such a cool demeaner with the ability to think and fight better than most.

this is simply because I remember Spike so much better, he was more memorable than Maka.

I don't recall thinking of Escanor that way, whereas Revy as much as anyone in Black Lagoon deserves this.

Roy! Anime cry

just not a gundam fan so much less familiar

haven't seen either, but it's still impossible not to know Vegeta.

This was between Seijuro and Dark Schneider, and I just felt over all Dark was just overpowered and Seijuro earned this.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
Runner Up Bracket 1:

Gennouske Kouga should win this all probably

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 21