• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'YouTube Red' Subscription Plan to Launch With Ad-Free Video, Offline Viewing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
The ad-free addition for the plan is somewhat pointless if you have a browser that can utilize ad-blocker extensions since unlike Hulu, Youtube's player still runs if you make use of ad-blockers and you could even download the video content on the site with certain extensions as well. However, I imagine the less tech-aware folks could be suckered into buying something like this.

Unless Youtube makes its player not work with adblockers like Hulu did. I would suck if they did but it would be dumb of them not to if they have a ad-free subscription.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I understand the need for ads but don't like them so I use an ad-blocker. This kind of service is a great alternative for people who do want to support the company but don't like ads/want to support it more directly. I can't speak for the price because I'm out of touch with similar services like CR and Netflix, though. Hopefully it has a good backing by people.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
1) Add ads.
2) Make users pay to remove ads.
3) -- Actually, you don't need this step.
4) Profit!
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Here's a little secret from someone who has put ads on several of their Youtube videos: Google doesn't pay you your ad revenue until you've accrued $100. I've been making videos and earning ad money off them for years now, but have never actually gotten a cent for them, because I haven't reached the $100 threshold yet. Just putting that out there.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can do that now, it's called downloading the video. There's enough grandmas out there who don't use AdBlock or flash video downloaders, so they'll just have to carry the burden. But this alleviates that, so now I care even less about ad revenue than I did before.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Once I started following several youtube Let's Players (RaedwulfGamer, LordMinion777, GaLm, GeekRemix), I turned the ad-blocker off on YT. Watching 30 seconds of ads? No biggie. I've actually been introduced to other interesting channels because of it. And there's one ad I specifically went searching for afterwards to rewatch. Smile

I don't forsee myself subscribing to this, but it's possible I'll feel differently later. I'll just take a wait-and-see approach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm about to start paying Hulu $12 to get rid of its ads and dropping Netflix. $10/month for YouTube makes no sense in comparison.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be very interested to see what the subscription numbers are, if Google even is willing to release them. But they might be embarrassed by the underwhelming number of signups they end up getting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope this does well for them.

They won't be seeing my money, as I have no issue sitting through ads and no interest (at least from this initial announced lot) in the people that will be behind their "premium content".

At the same time, I might only visit YouTube a few times a month...and I mostly watch fail videos. Laughing
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
As a number of posts above prove, Ad Block and the ad-free freeloader culture it represents (my apologies if this comes across as an insult, but I can't think of any other way to describe using a commercial service without contributing to its bottom line - even when it only asks you to sit through a 30 second ad, if that) have taken a big bite out of online advertising revenue across the board.

It is an insult, and it should be.

The cost of watching a video with ads is time; The producer has accepted advertising revenue to help pay for the cost of the video's production and is asking you, the viewer, to sit through an advertisement telling you about a product for sale.

Ads have let people see more content than they ever could afford to otherwise; Paying for a subscription for EVERY content provider would either bankrupt most people or lead to them massively cutting down on their consumption, and would outright alienate people with low incomes.

Think of it this way: How many people would continue to come to ANN if you were required to have a subscription to read anything? Looking at an ad asking you to think about going to see "Attack on Titan Part 2" is a lot cheaper and is in every person's budget.

Movies, TV shows, articles, and songs, no matter how cheaply produced, do not come out of thin air; Someone created them and had to incur monetary, physical, and emotional, costs to do it. Those people need to be paid for their time and effort. If you choose not to consume what they put out, that is your business; If, however, you do, then you need to pay the amount that they ask for your right to view.

So, yes, not paying your cost of admission, even in time, is on the same level as sneaking into the theatre.
Blue Chocobo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

The cost of watching a video with ads is time; The producer has accepted advertising revenue to help pay for the cost of the video's production and is asking you, the viewer, to sit through an advertisement telling you about a product for sale.

So, yes, not paying your cost of admission, even in time, is on the same level as sneaking into the theatre.

I completely agree. When you go to download a movie or a song online, the creator basically says, "You can download this, but in exchange, you need to pay us $X”. When you want to see a video on YouTube, whoever created it says, “You can watch this, but in exchange, you need to watch this other video clip first so I gain ad revenue”.

If you decide that it isn't worth the "fee" to experience the content, then you don't have to pay it, but you also don't have the right to experience that content. Using an ad-blocker has exactly the same effect as pirating a movie. There's a legal difference in the fact that you can legally use ad-blockers, but morally I don't see any difference.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for pirated downloads of the member exclusive content to be uploaded to regular youtube HAHA. Anyways, $120.00 will be staying in my pocket as adblock will continue to do its thing for me at no extra charge.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I'm just waiting for pirated downloads of the member exclusive content to be uploaded to regular youtube HAHA. Anyways, $120.00 will be staying in my pocket as adblock will continue to do its thing for me at no extra charge.

I totally expect "pirated" copiesof YouTube channels "Premium content" to start showing up for big channels, especially since YouTube downloading programs can rip any video on YouTube. I'm not paying anyrhing, I'm pefectly content with Netflix and Funimation for my streaming and I turn off adblock for YouTubers I like.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Blue Chocobo wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:

I completely agree. When you go to download a movie or a song online, the creator basically says, "You can download this, but in exchange, you need to pay us $X”. When you want to see a video on YouTube, whoever created it says, “You can watch this, but in exchange, you need to watch this other video clip first so I gain ad revenue”.

If you decide that it isn't worth the "fee" to experience the content, then you don't have to pay it, but you also don't have the right to experience that content. Using an ad-blocker has exactly the same effect as pirating a movie. There's a legal difference in the fact that you can legally use ad-blockers, but morally I don't see any difference.

But doesn't the same argument apply to, for example, channel flipping during the commercials while watching the good 'ole TV?

Advertisements are a necessity, but unlike SVOD I do not think you can call them a "moral obligation".
Ad blockers are a symptom of an advertisement industry which has yet to figure out/adjust to the rapid change in the way people consume media. The solution is not to convince people they are "stealing" if they don't watch ads or use technology to not watch ads, that simply won't work and in the end would be counter productive...
The solution is some combination of making and distributing advertisements that are effective and yet are something which the average person does not mind consuming, and/or coming up with new and innovative ways to fund content production in the first place without traditional advertisements.

Personally I like what places like twitch (and to some extent, youtube) are doing with channels and subscribers to individual content creators. I call it "cloud patronage" and it's similar to back in the renaissance where a single rich person would fund creation of art except instead of a single person it's a group of people around the world. So a fraction of supporters help fund creation of things that then can be consumed by a much greater number "for free".
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
You wouldn't download a car!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3