• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anyone own the Ranma 1/2 OAV or movie DVD box sets?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Recently I've felt like watching the Ranma 1/2 OAV series and movies again. I bought the newly re-released Ranma 1/2 movie DVD box set for relatively cheap ($25 on amazon.com). But supposedly the newly re-released Ranma 1/2 OAV box set has some issues, so I didn't buy it. It's on only 2 DVDs and is missing all the extras that were originally present in the domestic Ranma 1/2 OAV 3-disc DVD box set which was released a number of years ago (and is now out-of-print very hard to find).

Instead I borrowed the original 3-disc version from the library, but encountered a number of issues. The Haunted Cave of Love episode, and that episode only, has a bad video quality where the whole episode appears to be double-imaged in a sense. More technically, there are severe "sharpening lines" or "ringing artifacts" on the left and right side of any vertical black lines. This has nothing to do with digital DVD compression and is simply the result of a messed-up analog source or other incorrect settings relating to the source video. To anyone who has the new 2-disc version of the Ranma 1/2 OAV box set, is this same issue present on that episode?

Another issue: On the copy I got, the 5th DoCo music video (Grammar School, Midday) has a significant glitch in the middle, where both the video will freeze/skip and the sound will crackle or cut out, at the same time. However, since this came from the library, there are a trillion tiny scratches all over the disc's surface, so I can't be sure if this error is from the poor condition of the disc or if it was mastered that way. To anyone who has the original 3-disc verson of the Ranma 1/2 OAV box set, do you have this same glitch?

Final issue: The Ranma 1/2 movies DVD box set is encoded really badly. There are quadruple after-images everytime something is moving on the screen. If your eyes are not that sharp to see after-images, you can simply press pause anytime something is moving and step through frame-by-frame, and you will often see 1 or 2 after-images that shouldn't be there, sometimes 3 or 4 in the worst scenes. The OAV DVDs don't have this problem (at least the 3-disc version). To anyone who has the 2-disc version of the OAV set, does this problem exist? And to anyone who has the original Ranma 1/2 movie DVDs (not the boxset but the original separate releases) does this problem exist?

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
I've got the original 3 disc OAV set and the original single releases of the movies so I can help you in those departments.

The DoCo video had no problems. I'd say the issues are with the disc itself, and considering it's from the library that's not surprising.

For the movies, there were some very slight after-images. However, these were extremely minor. They were hardly visible when viewed at normal speed and only noticeable after slowing down the video to about 1/4 speed, and even then there was at most 2 after-images. If they are really bad as you say, then you might want to return the discs and get an exchange for a new set, citing defective product as the reason.

Oh and BTW; I found no real issues with the "Cave of Love" episode on my set. But if you can, post a picture of what the problem is so I know exactly what to look for.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the response.

Regarding the Cave of Love episode, the bad video quality should be obvious and it certainly will exist on every person's copy of the original 3 disc OAV set. It's no flaw due to a scratched up library copy. Only someone with the new 2 disc OAV set could possibly have that problem removed (I doubt it will be, but who knows). But your comment was still very welcome. It gives me an idea of how sensitive you are to video quality issues (not that sensitive, which is typical for most people, hopefully that doesn't hurt your feelings).

For the movies, if you do notice the problem at all on your original separate-release versions, then it's probably exactly the same as on the box set. Thanks for the info. Most of the time, it does look like only 1 or 2 after-images. It is only in a few really bad scenes that you can see 4 after-images or so (mostly on the first movie, inside the ship, near the end). To you this issue may be minor but to me it makes the DVD unwatchable. Sad Oh well.

About the DoCo video, that's interesting. Maybe the library copy really is messed up. Are you sure you don't notice ANYTHING on the 5th DoCo video near the middle of the song somewhere? To me it's a significant glitch, but to you it might be something that you can barely notice, only if you strain both your eyes and ears. There's a very slight pop in the song at one point and the video skips discontinuously by a frame at the same time, when it occurs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1