• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-action anime versions (OT?)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
I'm familliar with shows like Case Closed! and GTO, and intrigued by the fact that they have live-action versions. I mean, seriously--these are shows that are so big, people watch them again...only with real people.

Are the live action versions any good, compared to the shows they're based on or otherwise?
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Even though I have been fun of at work Smile ...
I liked the live Action Sailor Moon and can't wait for the Negima live action. My favorite though are the Sailor Moon Musicals from Japan.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
FUNiRepBlue wrote:
Even though I have been fun of at work Smile ...
I liked the live Action Sailor Moon and can't wait for the Negima live action. My favorite though are the Sailor Moon Musicals from Japan.

Argh! Any anime-based musical is horrible. There is no reason why Ichigo or Ryoma Echizen should break out into song.

That said, a great live-action anime adaptation has to be "Cromartie High School." It was the first time I've ever seen an anime comedy as wacky as "Cromartie" be perfectly depicted with real people spoiler[(especially in the scene where Takashi gives the class a pep talk about smoking, or when the team gets together to rid drugs off the streets, but then they wind up in jail anyway Laughing )].
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
I didn't know about a live action Case Closed.

Let's see, there's Mushi-shi, Death Note, Cromartie High School, Cutey Honey, and an awkward live action Gundam G-Saviour. (I wouldn't bother looking into it, it's...bad.)

Those are all the ones I can come up with off the top of my head, and I've only seen Cro High and Gundam G-Saviour. Cro High was pretty funny but maybe not as good as it could have been. If you liked the anime, you'll like the movie.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
There's a live action:
Case Closed
Casshern
Cinderella Ni Naritai
Cromartie High School
Crying Freedman
Cutey Honey
Death Note
Densha Otoko (series and movie)
Devilman
Gokusen
Gokusen II
Grave of the Fireflies
GTO
Gundam G-Saviour
H2
Hana Yori Dango
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
Honey And Clover
Initial D
Iria: Zeiram
Jigoku Shoujo
Last Quarter
Legend of Condor Hero
Mars - Taiwanese Live Action
Mushi-shi
Nana
Nodame Cantabile
Peach Girl - Taiwanese Live Action
Perfect Blue
Prince of Tennis Musical
Prince of Tennis Movie
Princess Princess D
Return of Condor Hero
SaiKano
Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon Musical
Sh15uya
Shinobi (Basilisk)
You're Under Arrest

And I'm sure a ton of other stuff too.

Last edited by Brand on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Honey And Clover
Zewerr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Remember, Shinobi is also the live-action version of Basilisk.

I'm waiting to watch the live-action version of Cro High. It's been in my NF queue for a while now. I've been waiting for good timing to be able to watch it with my brother when I visit him.

I've also seen the live-action version of Initial D. The driving scenes were pretty good, but it's way too much story to cram into one movie. Plus they kinda changed the personalities of a couple characters, which I wasn't that thrilled about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw clips of the live-action version of Case Closed. The main character wasn't... short..

As for the live action versions I've seen, there's NANA but I've only watched the first one. I'm thinking of watching Death Note the movie, but my brother said I probably wouldn't like it so it's currently on hold. I am currently looking for the live action version Honey and Clover.

Shinobi is also on hold. My brother liked it, but I have no time for it as of now so I'll watch it during my term break (2 1/2 more weeks and I'm free!)
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The Nodame Cantabile live action is vastly superior to the anime counterpart.

It just rocks; lots of charm and hilarity, awesome job by the entire cast involved. It's just more fun to watch.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I saw clips of the live-action version of Case Closed. The main character wasn't... short..

Well, it's a prequel to the main series, so we get to see Kudo as a teenager ... eh, not that great, basically just an hour-long mystery where Oguri Shun gets to parade his bishounen-ness. Razz
fuzzychief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
Live Action Salor Moon...shudders ...
Watched it at anime club once...
Makes me shudder everytime I think about it.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
fuzzychief wrote:
Live Action Sailor Moon...shudders ...
Watched it at anime club once...
Makes me shudder every time I think about it.

Personally I liked the Live Action Sailor Moon. It's great if you were or are a Sailor Moon fan. The quality of the show doesn't start out that great but gets better overall throughout the series. Not for every, but worth a shot if you at least like Sailor Moon or the Magical Girls genre.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
jetz wrote:

Well, it's a prequel to the main series, so we get to see Kudo as a teenager ... eh, not that great, basically just an hour-long mystery where Oguri Shun gets to parade his bishounen-ness. Razz

Oh that explains it. Don't mind me - I haven't watched any episode of Case Closed. Laughing But I read about it a couple times..
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
I watched the first live-action NANA movie, and I was astounded by how awful it was. The acting was terrible, the scenery and sets were drab and unimpressive, and the whole thing looked like a student film. And my God, what the HELL was up with Shin being roughly 6 feet tall and broad shouldered??? He's supposed to be the shrimpy bishounen kid! I think I was scarred for life by the image of that guy in tight pants >.<

Anyway, I've sort of been too afraid to pick up anything else live action now.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I watched the first live-action NANA movie, and I was astounded by how awful it was. The acting was terrible, the scenery and sets were drab and unimpressive, and the whole thing looked like a student film. And my God, what the HELL was up with Shin being roughly 6 feet tall and broad shouldered??? He's supposed to be the shrimpy bishounen kid! I think I was scarred for life by the image of that guy in tight pants >.<

Anyway, I've sort of been too afraid to pick up anything else live action now.

I didn't totally hate it, cause I kept thinking that maybe I hated it cause I watched the anime first. but yeah, the sets were small..

and about Shin - they fixed that problem cause the Shin in NANA 2 actually looked like a kid.

Another thing :Hachi spoiler[was made to be more pure. No talk about affairs with an older married man, and no sex scenes either ](not that I want them).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2