• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Pluto (Naoki Urasawa) outside Japan!?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shuichi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
According to EMA, a German manga publisher, due to legal problems between Shogakukan and Tezuka Productions, Pluto will not be released outside Japan.
EMA originally had the German rights, and they even signed a contract, but due to those problems, the contract has now been cancelled.

Source: http://www.comicforum.de/showthread.php?t=83556&page=4
Forum of EMA
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Shuichi wrote:
Pluto will not be released outside Japan.

Pffft. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure it's not just about Germany? Out of all the Urasawa manga, this is the one I want licensed the most!
Althalus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, a direct translation of efwe's comment (efwe = Georg F.W. Tempel, the guy in charge at EMA) would be:

"Well, fact is that we already had a contract, which was now rescinded, because there are legal problems in Japan between Tezuka productions and Shogakukan, which means that - the way things stand today - the series won't be published anywhere outside Japan."

The easiest explanation for dormcat's link would be that those books were published (the last one in April 2007?) before the abovementioned "legal problems" arose. After all, the contract for the German edition was negotiated and concluded successfully as well (probably some time earlier this year), so they obviously didn't have those problems then or they'd never gotten that far.

~Althalus
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll ask Tongli's editorial department to see if they are affected as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1