• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
So are Father Bernard, and Galfa the mercenary are all anime-original characters?

Yyyyup. The manga had a completely different plot.

For adaptations, I enjoy something that adapts the manga faithfully, but possibly adds a few things in. Hence, why I like Sailor Moon Crystal, Tokyo Mew Mew, Naruto Shippuden (even if the fillers can get ridiculous sometimes), and Gintama (that additional rain scene with Kagura was great!).
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Yyyyup. The manga had a completely different plot.

For adaptations, I enjoy something that adapts the manga faithfully, but possibly adds a few things in. Hence, why I like Sailor Moon Crystal, Tokyo Mew Mew, Naruto Shippuden (even if the fillers can get ridiculous sometimes), and Gintama (that additional rain scene with Kagura was great!).

I don't really think they are so completely unrelated though, but more like distinct interpretations of the same general story. The underlying framework and certain highlights are quite similar in both cases.

Everything involving the Archangel Michael is about the same (minus the lack of a flying horse in the anime), and (moderate spoiler for recent anime episodes and future manga volumes) spoiler[Maria still gets attacked by Ezekiel in spear form and later finds herself in a situation where they're going to burn her at the stake.]

Even without Bernard or Galfa existing, it's not like she is praised by the Church or the soldiers affected by her activities. Which reminds me...the Church in the manga isn't portrayed any more positively. If anything, the priests are easier to dismiss as non-entities since they're mostly nameless and faceless.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
The fact that the succubus is named after the virgin goddess Artemis is the joke. Same with Priapus's namesake.

Shocked Embarassed You know, I teach a mythology class, and all I could think of was, "Crap, now students are going to ask about this in addition to all the ones who think Artemis is a man thanks to either Sailor Moon or the innumerable romance authors who inexplicably name their heroes "Artemis." (I wish I was making that up.)

Quote:
It is weird that they didn't switch it to Mary or Marie in the English version though...I guess they wanted to keep it the same as the anime.

That would make sense, though it still bothers me in a nit-picky way.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I would have never guessed Galfa and Bernard were anime original characters, given how interesting they are as a whole. Bernard is hands down one of the best villains I've watched in awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
^ For me the most surprising this is that the writer and series compositor for this anime is Hideyuki Kurata who also wrote Samurai Flamenco (which I consider it the biggest trainwreck I've seen, even at being silly) and the same as adaptator of Tokyo ESP (which I considered it had a very messy and purposeless structure and tone problems that hurt them a lot), among other different stuff that I've not seen but I heard aren't very good. Not the kind of person you would think could bring so much detail about the time period (spoiler["¡Desperta Ferres!", I am spanish and I didn't even know of that and how fitting is for Galfa's character!]), complement smoothly the new characters with the old ones and get the tone changes while not perfect well enough to not feel too dissonant and flow naturally. If this is his way to show how much he's improved (to my eyes), welcome!

About the manga, I read the first volume and to be honest I consider it a different take of the same story, the manga being much smaller, episodic and calm, and less ambitious, which reminds more to Moyashimon. Some of the omitted adventures are very weird though, spoiler[in one the inquisitors turn into demons, and I don't know if they died or not, if Maria turned them into demons or not, it was very weird and I don't know if Maria actually killed them or not. Details like these make the characters a little different so I wouldn't try to combine them as an unified story.]
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
One thing i noticed about the manga is that it seems to embrace it's more out-there/sillier elements more than the anime. The anime seems to shy away from them a bit more, and places the series in a much more real-world/ serious setting (or as real as one can get with witches and angels in it), which, to me at least, makes the more out-therestuff it does have seem a bit jarring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2