• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Question about Character Tournament Forums

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
On the anime forums there is a Crazy Character Tournament topic being run by your encyclopedia editor PantsGoblin. I had this idea for a unique style for character tournament that tries to recreate the sprit of an actual tournament were there can be upsets. I’m not sure if have the rights to do something like because I’m not a moderator. Are moderators only aloud to create character tournaments and if so can I suggest one?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to suggest one -- and this thread would seem to be the right place to do so. Just don't grab the ball and run (i.e. start a tournament in the main forums without prior permission), okay?

So what's your (presumably) brilliant idea for a tournament? Share it with us.

- abunai
...and Pink Floyd absolutely rocks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Well I’ll try to explain it. We have a small 16-person tournament to start (don’t want to overwhelm myself). And people would put in who they think would win (following the Teh Rules). However the character with the most votes would not automatically go on to the next round. A number would be given to the characters based on the order of postings. After a certain passing of time and all the number are colleted I would use a random number generator (most likely from Random.org) to pick the winning number. The character with the number would move on to the next round.

The reason I like this way is because it give it a more tournament feel. Years of watching the NCAA basketball tournament have showed me that being the favorite doesn’t always mean you are going to win. This format could give the underdogs a chance to “put off an upset” and make things a little more interesting. And for the popular characters, the more votes they have the greater the chance they have of winning.

So this is my plan. I think that if it is done the right way is could be a very fun tournament for everybody, including me. I hope that you all like it. And thank you for the Pink Floyd comment.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
So basically you are talking about seeding characters based on opinions of them by users in the forums.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
I’m not sure that’s what I mean. Let me show you an example. Let’s say in the first round Character A takes on Character B with a set time of one week.

Character A (unnamed anime) VS Character B (unnamed anime)

At the end of the week Character A has 77 votes while Character B has 62 votes. In this format Character A does not automatically win. The best way I can describe this is like a lottery. And with the votes that have been totaled Character A has a 55% chance of winning and Character B has a 45% chance of winning.

If the votes came out to be Character A has 101 vote while Character B has 5 votes Character A has a 95% chance of winning while Character B has only a 5% chance of winning.

This isn’t meant to be the end-all to settle debates over who is the greatest character of all time, it’s meant to be more like a fighting tournament were a character may have an off day and loses to the underdog.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting idea, and while I personally like the idea, I don't see what the point would be. The problem is that by designing it in a fashion that allows for upsets, it undermines any meaning the results might have. After the moe contest, we could say pretty definitively that among the voters here at ANN, Nana is considered the most moe. What could we say after a tournament with odds? Nothing, because the results don't necessarily reflect people's opinion, though I guess we could always say "Dante is the luckiest anime character among the bunch"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I realize how unconventional this format is and in some areas seem to be pointless. Like I said this isn’t to determine the best of anything because as you said the votes would mostly be pointless. I guess the only way this would work is if the people use their imagination (like when we where kids). This is the most ideal way this would work:

“Lets say that 16 characters put together a tournament to see who is the best fighter” (like the dark tournament in Yu Yu Hakusho). And if you view this like a tournament and not as who is the best out of all this format works to keep the true feel of a tournament.

Maybe I’m asking too much. It’s not that I’m saying nobody here has an imagination; it’s just maybe this is too complicated for people to understand. This is a great idea, but only if people view this like a tournament and not as who is the best out of all.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
But see, I think you're misinterpreting the forums here, it's not that we can't understand you. Us mods try to keep discussion on topic, civil, and somewhat constructive.

The last one is where your tournament idea falls short, it doesn't accomplish anything, no one learns anything, and it all comes down to odds in the end. The more I think about it, the less appropriate it sounds to me. We don't allow rumor threads because they're pointless gossip, and this falls into a remarkably similar category.

I don't think we'll do anything like that here at ANN.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess it didn't to try. You can lock this if you wish.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Wait this isn't fair. Tony K approved me of having a Most evil charater tornament when this ends. So I get to have mine before you start yours because I was approved way back when the crazy character tornament was still young. And now its almost over, and mine will start soon.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
It's not a question of first come first serve, they are different types of tournaments with different goals, methods, and (most importantly) results.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Wait this isn't fair. Tony K approved me of having a Most evil charater tornament when this ends. So I get to have mine before you start yours because I was approved way back when the crazy character tornament was still young. And now its almost over, and mine will start soon.

You also must understand Tony and Selenta are just mods. No offense guys. Simply put they can say whatever the hell they want but at the end of the day they don't have the final say Bebop. The admins do. That usually boils down to Zac, with shout outs from Tempest and Sakechan. Dan normally is too busy with the Encyclopedia to do anything else. So even if Tony says it sounds fine and says it's ok Zac can just come along and say :not on my watch" and that's that.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't want it to seem like I'm cheating Be-Bop out of the work he decided to put forth back then. I just wanted to run one tourney at a time so we wouldn't have another sticky taking up space at the top of the Anime forum. If his concept is somewhat similar in format, I think it could be easier to manage (not that I take part in these anyway).

But yeah, the "fighting tourny" idea seems a little complicated since we have to make things up based on the characters and our own imagination. I mean, that could go on for ages if you think about it because there might be some fans who just don't want their characters to lose or whatever.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
While I can see the point you're getting at, darksideoftheanime, with its element of chance and the uncertainty/excitement that this might bring to it, I dislike the idea of a random element, precisely because its randomness is contrary to the point of the ANN forums.

ANN is not a game site, we're a news site, and our forums are heavily moderated, with a view to providing balanced and intelligent debate on anime and manga (at least, that's the theory -- certain users seem determined to turn the "balanced" and "intelligent" part into mere wishful thinking).

So, even though I can see that it would be fun, I don't think it would be appropriate to ANN's style. But we're not the only game in town, you know. There are plenty of good, semi-serious anime sites out there, and many of them would probably welcome this idea. So don't be discouraged.

- abunai
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
Animation Insider does a lot more games than us, if you need any suggestions on where to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2