• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuri anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midori_green

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
Hey I really want to know, what kind of Yuri anime series there is... I LOVE Yuri so I want to hear if you guys know some Yuri anime series, please Very Happy

I know these:

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Simoun
Bokura ga Ita
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Paradise Kiss
Kannazuki no Miko
Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Girl’s high
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I liked Strawberry Panic! a lot. Also, you don't have Kasimasi ~Girl Meets Girl~ on your list. Also, this may be considered a request thread. Just to let you know, this might be shut down in the near future. Personally, I don't see much wrong with it, if it's like a listing of different shoujo-ai you like. But, just don't be surprised if it suddenly poofs out of existence.

Also, unless you mean you like nudity in your anime, you'd probably be better off using the term, "shoujo-ai" instead of "yuri". Yuri implies more adult (sometimes hentai-esque) content, whereas shoujo-ai merely means, "love between girls".

Welcome to the forums by the way.
Midori_green

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Hero_of_Avalon wrote:
I liked Strawberry Panic! a lot. Also, you don't have Kasimasi ~Girl Meets Girl~ on your list. Also, this may be considered a request thread. Just to let you know, this might be shut down in the near future. Personally, I don't see much wrong with it, if it's like a listing of different shoujo-ai you like. But, just don't be surprised if it suddenly poofs out of existence.

Also, unless you mean you like nudity in your anime, you'd probably be better off using the term, "shoujo-ai" instead of "yuri". Yuri implies more adult (sometimes hentai-esque) content, whereas shoujo-ai merely means, "love between girls".

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Yeah i forgot Kasimasi - girl meets girl. That was totally wrong because i liked it A lot! love it....

Actually I didn't know Yuri was sometimes hentai - esque.. sorry everyone...
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hero_of_Avalon wrote:

That is not entirely true, actually. You may want to consider reading What is Yuri by Erica Friedman regarding the origins of both terms. Using yuri is perfectly acceptable in this situation (although the ANN lexicon suggests otherwise...)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, those titles you cannot consider Yuri, here is the lexicon entry for the term Yuri, and here is the lexicon entry for shoujo-ai. You can also look up various anime titles within the ANN Encyclopedia.

And just in case you were asking for recommendations, you would want to go here.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Some people differentiate between 'yuri' and 'shoujo ai', but many of us just use yuri to refer to girl x girl in general regardless of how explicit it is.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Some people differentiate between 'yuri' and 'shoujo ai', but many of us just use yuri to refer to girl x girl in general regardless of how explicit it is.

Yes, it's less confusing that way. At least for me anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering what people do with the term "yaoi"? I use the term in the explicit sense, with the shonen-ai in the other more mutual sense.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'm wondering what people do with the term "yaoi"? I use the term in the explicit sense, with the shonen-ai in the other more mutual sense.

I use "yaoi" as a blanket term along with "yuri," and I'm sure many others do as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Geh, a yaoi fan berated me a few years ago for using "shounen-ai" the way you are. Apparently, the "correct" term for pictures of men in love with each other but not having explicit sex is BL. But who can really tell it all apart? I use yaoi as a blanket term now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Yes, those titles you cannot consider Yuri, here is the lexicon entry for the term Yuri, and here is the lexicon entry for shoujo-ai. You can also look up various anime titles within the ANN Encyclopedia.

And just in case you were asking for recommendations, you would want to go here.
Yes indeed, this isn't much more than a listing / recommendation thread, so I have to shut it down. You might also try checking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_%28animation%29

There's a pretty good list of series on that page.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1