• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Ouran Highs School Host Club going to get licensed?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animejunkie2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I looked around for a thread about this but couldn't find one. I was wondering with all the titles that have recently been picked up for US release, why isn't Host Club one of them. It had an extremely popular reaction when the fansubs showed up.....I would think this would be an easy money maker for the industry.

Does anyone know anything about whether someone is negotiating on this series or not?
Maryohki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I want to know pretty badly myself. But why isn't the Host Club here?
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd say just wait till anime expo or otacon rolls aound we might hopefully here something then.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
This is a much desired title. David Williams of ADV said at a recent con (I think that it was him) that several companies are in contention for this title but nothing had been decided..."I can neither confirm or deny" or something of that nature.

Anime Expo is at the end of this month. I will be VERY disappointed if nothing is said about OHSHC but...with such a desirable title, the Japanese company can/is probably demanding a pretty high price. But I know that we will see it here in the US soon.

I'm hoping that ADV gets it! Very Happy
animejunkie2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it would be better is ADV gets it. I really don't want to see it end up in VIZ's hands.

I am not able to make either Otakon or Anime Expo. If anyone is going and hears something could they post it here please?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
animejunkie2006 wrote:
Yeah it would be better is ADV gets it. I really don't want to see it end up in VIZ's hands.

I am not able to make either Otakon or Anime Expo. If anyone is going and hears something could they post it here please?

Keep an eyeball on ANN's front page and on the Anime Expo thread in Events.

I for one plan on babbling everything I find out.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ouran's one of the few shows I've seen some of the fansubbed episodes for, and...can I just say I love this show, and can't WAIT to hear a dub? I"m rooting for ADV to get the title, too--partially because I feel they're really, really good at handling comedies, and partially because I'm desperate to hear Vic Mignogna as Tamaki after his performance as Femio in Tutu. Anime hyper;; I'm definantely going to be keeping out an ear for any news on this show....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
animejunkie2006 wrote:

Does anyone know anything about whether someone is negotiating on this series or not?

Two companies have at one point claimed "some one has it but its not us." Whether that was true or they just wanted people to stop asking them about it, is anyone's guess.

I think its safe to say this will get licensed but all anyone here can do is guess. Just keep your eyes on the main page and you'll probably see something about a license within the next year.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
partially because I'm desperate to hear Vic Mignogna as Tamaki after his performance as Femio in Tutu. Anime hyper;;

Very Happy Very Happy Nice choice! He's my pick for Tamaki as well. I hate to say this but I think that I will be terribly disappointed with anyone else...at least for a while.

Edited to fix quote

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
animejunkie2006 wrote:

I too hope that Viz doesn't get Ouran or any of the big titles since it will probably mean a so-so dub, no signs translation (and Ouran has a lot of them) and no extras to speak of.

Bandai is also not one of my favorite companies when it comes to licensing, but I hope that the royal treatment that they are giving Haruhi and Eureka is indicating that the company is improving itself.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Nice choice! He's my pick for Tamaki as well. I hate to say this but I think that I will be terribly disappointed with anyone else...at least for a while.

I can't really claim originality, it was suggested to me by the friend that introduced me to the show--but I certainly can't disagree with her. I have to admit, I'd be really disappointed if Vic didn't get the role, too--to the point where if it got licensed by a company that isn't based in Texas I can see myself e-mailing them and saying "You will still consider Vic Mignogna for the role, right?"

There's probably other actors out there that could perform Tamaki well, but the role just SCREAMS Vic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Ouran's one of the few shows I've seen some of the fansubbed episodes for, and...can I just say I love this show, and can't WAIT to hear a dub? I"m rooting for ADV to get the title, too--partially because I feel they're really, really good at handling comedies, and partially because I'm desperate to hear Vic Mignogna as Tamaki after his performance as Femio in Tutu. Anime hyper;; I'm definantely going to be keeping out an ear for any news on this show....

Man, everybody was worried about you, but glad to see you're alright.

I think if anything, we could be seeing an announcement at AX. This show is one of the funniest ones I've seen recently, I don't think it's going to stay on the other side of the Pacific for long.
animejunkie2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
I hope not. I was skeptical at first of the series but I fell in love by the fifth episode. I have watched it three times in a row and I am so impatient about getting it over here.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Man, everybody was worried about you, but glad to see you're alright.

I think if anything, we could be seeing an announcement at AX. This show is one of the funniest ones I've seen recently, I don't think it's going to stay on the other side of the Pacific for long.

So I've been told. ^^; I'm sorry about worrying everyone.

I'm hoping it'll come over here soon, it's a great show. The only reason I can see this NOT being licensed is if it's somehow considered a 'niche' title, but...I think it's probably popular enough that it'll come over soon. I hope.
DazzleNeko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
I actually think Liam O'Brien would be really good as Tamaki's voice. It's just so fitting for Tamaki, IMO.

I really hope someone does announce it soon, though. There is a rumor someone has it. I just hope it's not Viz. ADV and Funi are my first choices.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2