• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT?] Speed's Mach 5 Revealed.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-05-30-speed-racer_N.htm

Copypasta elsewhere:
Quote:
It's a modern take on the Speed's iconic ride, and is sleeker and way badder-looking than the Mach 5 prototype created in 1999 (and on permanent display at the Petersen museum in L.A.), which is more faithful to the original 'toon car. As you can see, the movie car retains the same general look as the hand-drawn Mach 5, but incorporates details like a racy full-wraparound windscreen, sleek rearview mirrors, and chromed dubs shod in Yokohama Advans. It looks absolutely killer. As the film's star Emile Hirsch (he plays Speed) summarizes, "Yeah. They got the car right."
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Wooo...that looks sick. Man, I may have to rethink my stance on a Wachowski-directed Speed Racer film. They definitely got the car right. Damn, I want that car...think of all the lady's you could get with something like that lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I like it. It still looks like the old one, but with that modern touch. While I don't know about the rest of the film, they've certainly done the right thing with regard to the car.

I'm just a little nervous because aren't they trying to make it rated G? (This is hearsay from an earlier post here, by the way.) Has there even been anything rated G in ages? The Land Before Time XX, maybe? Not that it's bad for something to be G...I'm just having a hard time envisioning it.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Mylene, why would a G-rating make you nervous? Speed Racer/Mach Go Go never contained anything that would rate controversy or even a raised eyebrow. It was a fun kids' anime. Hell, it was a fun kids' anime that became a pop culture icon for our parents!

Now here's my hope. Please get Racer X's Shooting Star right!
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Mylene, why would a G-rating make you nervous? Speed Racer/Mach Go Go never contained anything that would rate controversy or even a raised eyebrow. It was a fun kids' anime. Hell, it was a fun kids' anime that became a pop culture icon for our parents!

Now here's my hope. Please get Racer X's Shooting Star right!

Actually, I said that because I didn't think anything, including Disney, was getting G ratings anymore. A little research proved me wrong.

Oh, and it was not a pop culture icon for my parents. My parents were well beyond the "cartoon" age when Speed Racer came out and still do not know what it is. I was the first person in my family to watch it, and that was in 1997. I know there's nothing objectionable in it, but a live action reincarnation in today's society is a different story anyway.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
Wooo...that looks sick. Man, I may have to rethink my stance on a Wachowski-directed Speed Racer film. They definitely got the car right. Damn, I want that car...think of all the lady's you could get with something like that lol.

Uh yeah....The movie will be good because the car looks good.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

Wow...do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your post? Aside from your awfully witty response, why don't you share with us your opinion on the subject? I made the observation about the car looking really good, therefore if they get the car down they may get the movie itself down as well...I fail to see a problem here. And I still want that car. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

Wow...do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your post? Aside from your awfully witty response, why don't you share with us your opinion on the subject? I made the observation about the car looking really good, therefore if they get the car down they may get the movie itself down as well...I fail to see a problem here. And I still want that car. Very Happy

I never really cared much for Speed Racer, and Live Action adaptations of Anime tend to be crap at the very best. I'm expecting the Wachowskys to turn Speed Racer into some sort of conspiracy theory or anarchist statement or whatever it is they're into. And the car seems to be faithfully recreated, unlike the new Batmobile, but again, that's hardly something to base an opinion of the movie on.

And yes, considering the shape of the Mach 5 (and the name), I'm sure the ladies would love it. "Oh Speed, please drive it through my tunnel" they would say. Ha ha ha.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
I saw that on Attack of the Show today, I thought it looked cool and hope it's not just a model or something that shows what it could look like in the film
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

I never really cared much for Speed Racer, and Live Action adaptations of Anime tend to be crap at the very best. I'm expecting the Wachowskys to turn Speed Racer into some sort of conspiracy theory or anarchist statement or whatever it is they're into. And the car seems to be faithfully recreated, unlike the new Batmobile, but again, that's hardly something to base an opinion of the movie on.

And yes, considering the shape of the Mach 5 (and the name), I'm sure the ladies would love it. "Oh Speed, please drive it through my tunnel" they would say. Ha ha ha.

I'm not a huge Speed Racer fan myself, and yeah I will agree that so far as I've seen live-action-anime-adaptations have been pretty crappy. But, really I'll give the flick a shot like I'd give anything else a shot. I was just generally surprised that they got the car looking so good, which gave me hope that the movie won't be so bad. The Wachowski's are decent directors, even if the Matrix was definitely over-hyped. It still had elements of a cool underlying story but I couldn't get past the over seriousness of the film series, and the fandom that came with it, with a bunch of wanna-be Neo's walking around thinking they're cool dressing in all black and spouting dumb one liners like "Free Your Mind" or "There is no spoon". This is the same reason that segments of anime fandom kinda throw me off but, my minor annoyance by such things shouldn't stop them from doing it I suppose. Anyway, getting back on topic, I'm just trying to have a positive outlook on the film, that's all. Just like I'm trying very hard to have a positive outlook on Transformers. hehe. I'm a big Transformers fan so that one's a bit more serious for me.

And, yeah I'd be rolling down Ruston Way near my hometown (right on the waterfront) with the sun shining on Commencement Bay and holla at all the girlies walking by...*sigh* I`can only wish. LOL.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

You know what would be cooler than the Mach 5?

They do the really "bad dubbing" mouth movements synching to the actor's voices.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
While the car looks just plain HAWT!! I am disappointed in this:

Quote:
A car that will not see much time on pavement. The Mach 5 will be placed on a crane and most effects will be computer-generated

A crane? WTF? It the darn thing flying then?

And if they are worried about the safety of the actors, there are ways to drive safely but make it look like they are going at insane speeds. It's a movie about car racing for crying out loud!

I'll probably go see this anyway!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
LeoKnight25 wrote:

You know what would be cooler than the Mach 5?

They do the really "bad dubbing" mouth movements synching to the actor's voices.

That.... would be absolutely amazing .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1