• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime ruined by the American Television business.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phlieger

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
What shows do you think were ruined by American Television? SHows that were edited to much and made a child-like?

I believe these were ruined:

Naruto - Oh my god I cannot stand the show! It flat out sucks! I had been reading the manga long before it came out on American television and loved it. It was great. Now I'm not sure if the Japanese anime rocks or not, but nothing is exciting about the American version. Most of the episode is talking and just scrolling past characters expressions and stuff. One episode I can remember specifically being like that is the episodes when Naruto fought Zabuza or however you spell it.

One Piece - This is another extremely child-like one. No action! They even changed Sanji's cigs to a freakin' sucker! WTF is that all about???

Rave Master - Manga = A+. American Anime = C. 'Nough said. Cool

Shaman King - At first this was okay then it got extremely boring. I don't the manga has always been cool, but the show just started to suck. Probably being it was on the kids channel on Saturdays (or Sundays, I forget).

Know anymore?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sk1199

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
As far as I've heard Naruto hasn't had any significant edits from the Japanese version. So if you're complaining about the over-all story it's the same whereever its shown.
As to One piece the distributor is/was notorious for destroying any series that they get their hands on so again it's not American TV that's specifically killing the shows.
I know nothing about the other two shows so I can't comment about them.
It just seems to me that you prefer manga to anime in terms of versions of stories.
Phlieger

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
As far as I've heard Naruto hasn't had any significant edits from the Japanese version. So if you're complaining about the over-all story it's the same whereever its shown.
As to One piece the distributor is/was notorious for destroying any series that they get their hands on so again it's not American TV that's specifically killing the shows.
I know nothing about the other two shows so I can't comment about them.
It just seems to me that you prefer manga to anime in terms of versions of stories.

No because I love both anime and manga versions of shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Phlieger wrote:
Now I'm not sure if the Japanese anime rocks or not, but nothing is exciting about the American version.

Wait, you're saying it was "ruined" when brought to the US, but you haven't even seen the original Japanese? Wtf?

Phlieger wrote:
Rave Master - Manga = A+. American Anime = C. 'Nough said. Cool

Same with this one. At least watch original Japanese before saying the US release sucks >_>. This seems to be more of a comparison of manga to anime, not Japanese release to American release...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo OVAs on Toonami, 50% butchered, and those bathing suits. Rolling Eyes

Then there's DIC's Sailor Moon.

Card Captors. formerly known as Card Captor Sakura.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat May 26, 2007 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
English version of naruto is almost the same as the japanese versioin(if not the same) the only different is different language and myabe less blood?
i only wasted 10 or some random eps of the US version, so i could be wrong.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:46 pm Reply with quote
DonutGuy wrote:
'dub' and 'ruin' are actually synonyms.

And "Otaku" and "Ignorant" are aswell(Not saying you are, just saying that as a unfair general representation).
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DonutGuy wrote:

That might have been a fair call back in, say, 1996, but with the general quality of dubs already at a high standard at this day and age and continuing to increase, that's just not true anymore.

Of course, even though it's 2007, you still have your rotten eggs...(One Piece dub).
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
DonutGuy wrote:

That might have been a fair call back in, say, 1996, but with the general quality of dubs already at a high standard at this day and age and continuing to increase, that's just not true anymore.

Of course, even though it's 2007, you still have your rotten eggs...(One Piece dub).

I agree. Dubs have vastly improved since the old days.

Also, it might suprise you to know that Naruto, One Piece, Rave Master, and Shaman King are aimed at the same audience in America as they were in Japan: Elementary and Middle School-age boys. It's just that the FCC in America is different than the FCC in Japan, thus different standards in editing.

Also, Naruto is pretty much run uncut. Your argument is pretty flawed all-around, since you haven't seen the japanese versions to compare or anything.
hellos

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I guess so in the past

sailor moon - I hate how people go n and on about this being worst anime ever when they've only seen the crappy english dubbed version. editing was ridiculous to the point where it was chock full of plot-holes, they took out the msuic ( the backgruond music, etc is awesome, btw the opening lyrics WEREN'T trnaslated), awful voice actors, what the hell is negaverse.

Quite a treacherous dubbing and editing

CArd Captor Sakrua - well luckily this one doesn't get as much of a bad rep but the dub is still awful, REALLY bad editing. some of the editing is just completely illogical they took out the romance completely, it just took out what makes up card captor sakura.

Luckily both these shows have un cut versions released. Smile
SpikesGrrl
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Saint Seiya is another example of very bad editing for tv, Dic ruined it by putting 'Blue" for blood and the cheesy dub also calling it Knights of the Zodiac. Just wish they didn't lose the licsene, because ADV had the subcontract with Dic to release the unedited version, so when Dic lost it so went the ADV version.

Mary
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Phlieger wrote:
Naruto - Oh my god I cannot stand the show! It flat out sucks! I had been reading the manga long before it came out on American television and loved it. It was great. Now I'm not sure if the Japanese anime rocks or not, but nothing is exciting about the American version. Most of the episode is talking and just scrolling past characters expressions and stuff. One episode I can remember specifically being like that is the episodes when Naruto fought Zabuza or however you spell it.

Welcome to shounen tournament fighting anime! It appears that you've grown accustomed to the manga, where you can choose your own pace to an extent. It's well known to anime veterans that these shows tend to feature lots of stare-downs, flashbacks, and never-ending multi-episode fights. Indeed, there isn't any action cut from the show leaving only boring non-animation to air on American TV, but it's the same version that was aired in Japan. You should also be aware that panning across characters' faces is a common cost-cutting technique used often not just in these long-running series, but in quite a bit of anime. If you hold a single frame, panning across it, for five seconds, that's a lot less that needs to be drawn and animated, saving precious yen for the coffers of the production companies.
Supersonic Master

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've noticed many people have mentioned "American television" ruining shows such as "One Piece" and "Card Captor Sakura." That's not American television business ruining the show, that's simply 4Kids making the most unnecessary edits and some other companies like to do the same. While I do agree the FCC is quite a bit too strict in comparison to Japanese standards, it chiefly depends on the work of the translators rather or not Anime is ruined in English.

The Naruto Anime has only one significant edit that I can name off the back and that is Naruto's constant use of the phrase, "Believe it!"

Though I still prefer to watch Anime subbed.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Even with Believe it, it's still the most (technically) acceptable, by the way of the licensor, way of saying that Dattebayo suffix that fansubbers dont translate.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Even with Believe it, it's still the most (technically) acceptable, by the way of the licensor, way of saying that Dattebayo suffix that fansubbers don't translate.

Indeed that seemed like the only catch phrase I can think of that fits Naruto but wish it was better. I don't think "Dattebayo" has an actual meaning does it? It seems like it was formed by a combination of Japanese ending words.

Naruto wrote:
Ore ramen ga daisuki dattebayo!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5