• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zegapain Gets Licensed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adept_Rogue_Saiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
http://www.animeonline.com/index.php?page=news_details&action=details&id=101176

Bandai Entertainment announced at SakuraCon that they've picked up the license to the Sunrise series Zegapain. What is all of your thoughts? I cannot really comment on the anime series because I have not seen it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first three episodes and it was decent. I dropped it simply because of other series coming out at the time, but I'd like to finish it at some point.

Here is the ANN Encyclopedia entry for people interested.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I found the series enjoyable, like The Third which was also licensed recently, although I have to say I can't put my finger on any specific thing that kept me watching till the end
The 3DCG was very well done though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Hm.. the Encyclopedia says it's directed by the same guy that did the Saber Marionette series Shocked. If this title carries even the slightest hint of his style, I'm sold Very Happy. But man, I so want to get away from the mecha genre as I'm watching Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Des-show-really-sucks-tiny right now. Depending on the release date of this Zegapain, I might do a blind purchase and start collecting it. The plot summary sounds intersting.
free2slap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Zegapain, the story overall was too cheesy, spoiler[i don't like and neither do i understand how everyone in the story became apparitions and were living into somewhat of a computer ]Confused . I dropped it after a few episodes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, you aren't supposed to understand everything in the first few episodes. I'm not sure what was so cheesy about it though.

So, yeah, if you can't stand not understanding everything that is going on right at that moment, this show definitely isn't for you.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
IIRC Iwatch2muchanime speaks fairly highly of Zegapain...I've heard that the fansubs for it were not of very good quality, so I never checked it out. Might be worthwhile for me as an Anime Legends purchase later down the line, since mecha shows generally don't make me rush out to buy blind as single discs.

[EDIT: I have no idea why I originally ended that last sentence with an exclamation mark.]

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
free2slap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
So, yeah, if you can't stand not understanding everything that is going on right at that moment, this show definitely isn't for you.

I guess like you said it just isn't mine
bianca03_john

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
i just recently watched this anime and i can it is really decent. doesnt focus much on the mecha action and really has a nice and thick plot for a 26 episode anime. at the first episodes, i was really confused on what was happening and i had the urge to stop but i didn't. and now i can say its worth watching it. everything will be explained on the latter episodes so just be patient. hope you enjoy this as i did.
Jarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:49 am Reply with quote
Its pretty confusing at first, probably why lots of people drop it early but if u persisted the effort is paid off as the concept is pretty good of course u can realted to some similarities to spoiler[matrix] but its unique on its own. Pretty much everithing is explained near the end of the series.
vylo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he tries to enlist beautiful Misaki to act in a promo video, shot by his good friend Ryoko, in a bid to start a recruitment drive. She agrees but only if he pilots a mecha under the wing of Celebrum

I can see why many will at minimum question this anime.

"save my swim club!"

"sure but only if you pilot this mecha"

"sure!"

Wait, hold up. I hope this is a setting where mecha's are like Toyota Camrys otherwise who in their right skull is going ot pilot a several hundred ton piece of lethal machinery in order to save a swim club? And if you are given the chance, in fact asked to pilot such a machine, why would you give a rat's ass about a swim club at that point??!!

Let's see:

I could swim back and forth for an hour, or

Pilot a machine capable of destroying an entire city.

I don't know this is almost as tough as my "would you like like to eat rusty nails or chocolate ice cream question".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1