• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What exactly is the PM Savebox?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I searched for the topic and came up with nothing, so I'm going to assume that there are aren't any threads on it. I checked the FAQ but no data either.

Basically, I'd like to request some information on the PM Savebox and how it works. (I comprehend that you save PMs in it.) What I'm asking is how many can you put in, does it limit the overall number of PMs you can have sitting around in your Inbox/Outbox, and how is the information saved? For instance, what are the chances of the Savebox being a casualty of a forum crash?

Also, regarding PMs, is there a way to save them onto my own computer but I can still read them through the forum's display? I'd like to save a few for posterity so to speak but I don't want to have to turn them into emoticon-less, pages of basic text with odd fourm codes.

Any help is appreciated.

I apologize if this information is somewhere on the site and I didn't notice it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Okay, I searched for the topic and came up with nothing, so I'm going to assume that there are aren't any threads on it. I checked the FAQ but no data either.

It's not an ANN FAQ you ought to be looking for - but the FAQ for the forum software, phpBB. ANN didn't write the forums, just adapted them from a commonly available model.

Richard J. wrote:
Basically, I'd like to request some information on the PM Savebox and how it works. (I comprehend that you save PMs in it.) What I'm asking is how many can you put in, does it limit the overall number of PMs you can have sitting around in your Inbox/Outbox, and how is the information saved? For instance, what are the chances of the Savebox being a casualty of a forum crash?

It's a separate "box" for messages that you have either sent or received, and which you wish to save for later. Messages do not expire from the savebox the way they do from the "inbox" or "sentbox" (where new messages push out old, once the box is full). However, there's a maximum quota, and once you hit that limit, you can't save any more.

Richard J. wrote:
Also, regarding PMs, is there a way to save them onto my own computer but I can still read them through the forum's display? I'd like to save a few for posterity so to speak but I don't want to have to turn them into emoticon-less, pages of basic text with odd fourm codes.

Not that I know of, but phpBB is ubiquitous, and your desire is understandable, so I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already made a hack to do this.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
abunai: Thank you very much for the help! I'm not as familar with forum software as I probably should be so I didn't realize ANN is using such a common model. I sort of assumed they were using some sort of software not available to the general public. (Highly expensive coporate version.)

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be surprised given the fact that corporate software and other "official" software can sometimes be very user-unfriendly.

Thanks for the lesson in the basics. I'll take a look about and see if I can find some sort of hack. Also, I'll try to familiarize myself with the software when I have a chance to really go over it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
In the Savebox, one PM takes 1%, so you can have up to 100 messages; in the Sentbox, one PM takes 4%, so you can have only 25 messages before the oldest one got deleted when a new one coming in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
In the Savebox, one PM takes 1%, so you can have up to 100 messages; in the Sentbox, one PM takes 4%, so you can have only 25 messages before the oldest one got deleted when a new one coming in.
Thanks for telling me that. Now I can clear a few things out of my In/Sent boxes. (Why am I not surprised the forum's resident intellectuals are the ones with all the answers. Wink )
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
(Why am I not surprised the forum's resident intellectuals are the ones with all the answers. Wink )

Is obvious. Us am smartest people on Bizarro World.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

There is no built in feature in PHPBB to export messages or PMs, however there are several way to save your PMs or anyother post in the forum. Here are 3 ways to achieve this.

Save the page as an html/archive file with images
This will save the message, and all content on the page as an individual html file on your hard drive.

Firefox: (this method will save numerous files on your hard drive, each image will be saved as an independent file in a folder with the same name as the file you save as)
1) File - > Save Page As
2) Select "Web Page Complete" in the file type option
3) browse to the location you want to save the page and type in a name that you want to save it under...

IE: (this method will save the entire page, images and all, in one page)
1) File -> Save as
2) Select "Web archive single file" in the file type option
3) browse to the location you want to save the page and type in a name that you want to save it under...

Other browsers will have similar methods of going about this. Although I generally prefer Firefox as a browser, IE's web archive format is superior for this purpose.

Save the page in Word or another word processor
1) Highlight the portion pf the page you want to save
2) open your favorite word processor
3) paste
4) save as...

This nice thing about this system is that you can save only the portion of the page you want to save, and you can also save multiple PMs to the same file.

Save the page in Outlook or another similar program
1) Highlight the portion pf the page you want to save
2) Create a folder for PMs in outlook
3) start a new post
4) paste

The nice thing about this is that you can organize your PMs in a more organized fashion. Alternatives to outlook include other e-mail software, database software, note taking software, etc...

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1