• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does ANN have any philanthropic connections?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
10円

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering if ANN has any philanthropic connections to one or more charity organizations and if so, what are they and who is involved? If not, is there any desire to start one?
10円

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The silence is deafening.

Oh well, I guess we can't think of anything better to do with our money than spend it on animated movies and related trinkets.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
There was Project New Future organized by Jon Mays a few years ago. Unfortunately it wasn't quite the success it deserved to be. Bamboo tried to revive it last summer but I kinda dropped the ball on that one (I was supposed to make the website). I'm sure she's still angry at me for that Embarassed

[edit: fixed link]

Last edited by Dan42 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
First, here's the link that works for the rest of us. Second, what a wonderful idea. It's a shame that it wasn't able to pan out more fully. I'd certainly not heard of it, but I've only been visiting the site for just over a year or so.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
I was just wondering if ANN has any philanthropic connections to one or more charity organizations and if so, what are they and who is involved? If not, is there any desire to start one?

The short, present answer to your question is "No."

Project New Future was a wonderful idea, and it would have been great if it had succeeded, unfortunately the original plan placed too much trust in human nature. As soon as we launched the project, we started to get clearly fake submissions.

In the future, I wouldn't mind re-launching Project New Future, however it would have to be done in a more controlled and audited manner and at a smaller scale. This would unfortunately be a lot more work for ANN, and it isn't something that is feasible for us to do this year.

I have no idea if we will re-visit the project in 2008, 2009 or later, but as I said, I wouldn't mind re-visiting it in the future at some point, when we're capable of properly managing it without hurting ANN's resources in the process.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1