• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Annoying Dragonball Z ad (it's back)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
When on ANN I get this Dragonball Z ad from Funimation (actually it's a PSP game) that does not want to go away and covers up my browser window even if I scroll up and down. The "Close [X]" button doesn't make it close and it keeps flashing at me. This makes me pissed off at Funimation and less likely to buy their titles (especially Dragonball Z) Mad

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Try getting a screenshot of it, because I am not having any problems with the DBZ (videogame) ad, it's fitting in the correct spots. On the front page it loads into that correct spot, and just below next to the news where it's a smaller square spot for an ad.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
It's a popup ad that appears right in the middle of my browser window and covers up about 1/4 of the screen (and I'm using 1280 x 1024 resolution). My browser (Firefox) blocks pretty much all popups but the DBZ ad seems immune to the blocker. Reloading the page gets rid of the ad but is the only way to do so without closing the window. It hasn't popped up in a while now so maybe a Super Saiyan has eliminated it or something.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
It's a popup ad that appears right in the middle of my browser window and covers up about 1/4 of the screen (and I'm using 1280 x 1024 resolution). My browser (Firefox) blocks pretty much all popups but the DBZ ad seems immune to the blocker. Reloading the page gets rid of the ad but is the only way to do so without closing the window. It hasn't popped up in a while now so maybe a Super Saiyan has eliminated it or something.

That's weird seeing as how ANN has a pretty strict rule against advertiser using pop ups and pop unders. by any chance is it the middle advertisement that runs on the front page, and is square by any chance? Since I know that on my browser (1280 x 800 and firefox v 2.0.0.3 with Vista premium 32 bit) there are two ads for DBZ both are related to the game. One shows up as front ad and the other is to the right of the new headlines and is square ad.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
Could you get a screenshot please? The ad in question is not from Funimation, and there should not be any pop-ups from any advertiser.

I haven't seen any pop-ups myself, and no one else has reported one, but if one is shown to me, I will remove the ad in question.

Could it be possible that you're mixing a pop-up and a rectangle ? The DBZ Budokai ad is set to display a leaderboard (728x90) at the top of the screen, and a rectangle (300x250) lower in the screen, simultaneously. Neither of these should should be pops or cover any content.

The campaign that these ads are part of runs until the end of April.

As I said, the ad isn't from Funimation, and shouldn't be causing the problems you describe.

-t
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I know what ad Past is talking about, I've seen it before. It used to pop up either on the front page or while browsing the encyclopedia pages. On the front page it blocked some of the news headlines covering them up and making it hard to read... I think it may be gone now as I haven't seen it in a few days, I'll take a screenshot if I do see it again though..
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I remember it as well and it shocked the hell out of me. I'm not sure but I remember it as a rollover pop-up. If you rollover the banner it expands. I can't remember if it was or not.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, the ad only appeared once since Deltakiral first suggested taking a screenshot of it, and I didn't take a screenshot before making it go away that time. I've bounced around the site quite a bit to see if it would reappear but it looks like it's gone for good. I could simulate the ad and take a screenshot so you know what I'm talking about Tempest, but I think it's a moot point now since no one else seemed to have the exact same problem I was having. Keep also in mind that my op system is SUSE Linux running a KDE desktop environment, so the problem may be only unique to linux users.

[Edit: okay the actual "popup" appeared again and I am still having problems with it]
The screenshot may be scaled down since the image host does not support images above a certain filesize or resolution size.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/bashuke/snapshot6.jpg
Here's the actual appearance of the ad as shown hovering over my browser window. Please make it go away for good Sad

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1