• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Not Likely to Happen With Me in It

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it's still being worked on, Keanu just wont be in it

You quickly learn in these threads that a lot of people read little of what's being said and instead prefer to simply inject their thoughts based on what they assume was said. It's an article about a western actor and western studios so people are just looking to get in their shots and one-liners (because prejudice from a fanbase that often laments the prejudice directed towards it makes sense).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
walw: I don't even understand why it needs to cost $500 million, when Serenity was shot for less than $50 million, and even the Star Wars prequels average out to $115 million a piece. Someone at FOX is clearly doing it wrong.

The Star Wars prequels were so cheap because Lucas wasn't paying the ILM premium that outsiders do. This is the other reason why Disney wanted Lucasfilm, because now the biggest SFX house in the business is in-house, and SFX budgets just got a whole lot cheaper.

Serenity, as great as it is, looks like it was shot for $40 million, using TV quality renders and stock locations around SoCal with a lens filter.

Also, there's a word called hyperbole.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
silentjay: Well, Jurassic Park cost $63 million, and Lucas wasn't involved, so I still don't get it.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
The cost of the script, I think, has more to do with who the actor its for than anything else about the movie. Writing a script for a big name Hollywood actor just costs more than writing a script for a newbie no-name. It's kind of like if you hire someone to write a book for you. You pay for how well you think your book is going to sell. A book with a big name behind it like Stephen King is automatically going to sell a lot, so you (if you're King) pay for an expensive, well known writer.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Mmm... I can't say I'm concerned about Hollywood adaptations of anime. Besides my preference for the 2D art style, the culture shift would miss the point. American art house cinema might pull it off, but not big Hollywood, and only Hollywood has the budgets for something like this.

I remember the talk about a live action Akira that not only moved the setting to the USA, which is understandable enough, but was no longer to be a teenage coming of age story, therefore missing the entire point.

It says a lot about my disinterest that I don't even remember whether it went ahead or not, or what the production status is. It was just that they'd cast two old men as a 15 year old and a 17 year old, and I could tell something was amiss...

It can be fun to pretend you are casting a live action anime, but aesthetically fantasy and science fiction can look better in stylised 2D anyway. Seeing Samuel L. Jackson in a live action Afro Samurai would feel wrong because live action could hardly capture the surreal stylisation. Some people overlook this problem.

Cowboy Bebop is actually one of the better options to adapt into live action given its western references and its setting, but I still have to wonder if Hollywood would miss the point.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
I guess that means it's never going to happen now

I think that's a bummer, Cowboy Bebop has such a fully realized, unique and just flat out cool setting that it would be amazing to see it "brought to life"

and yet Hollywood would rather make a movie based on an obscure comic book, like Ant Man*, than a well known anime

*no offense to Ant Man fans, but you can't deny Cowboy Bebop is less obscure than it

Hey someone else who's at least seen Golden Sky Stories.

brofist! Anime smile
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
the skinny wrote:

STATIOOOOOON!
Smallpox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Wooden "actor"
OLD wooden "actor"
Did you read Johnny Mnemonic? Awesome story. Keanu's movie sucked like the vacuum of space.
His ridiculous acting in Bram Stoker's Dracula was appalling.
I'd rather drown in a vat of my own filth than watch his movies.
Spike needs to be played by someone with TALENT.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
@Spacemanhardy: I've already flagged/reported on this post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Smallpox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I just got online again after losing everything I owned,the chunk of island it was on and several dear friends in a HURRICANE/TYPHOON/CYCLONE several years ago so this thread was new to me. Knee-jerk condemnation is a sure sign of troglodytism.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Smallpox wrote:

I just got online again after losing everything I owned,the chunk of island it was on and several dear friends in a HURRICANE/TYPHOON/CYCLONE several years ago so this thread was new to me.

Our condolences and welcome back. Still, if a thread is too old, even if ya feel like responding, ya just gonna have to let it go.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4