• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Deeper Kyo...great manga!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gutted.with.broken.glass.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
sdk is an amazing title...i personaly like the manga better then the anime, but never the less it is a great series. i noticed that there wasnt too much about this manga and i wanted to share my love for this series with others who enjoy a great manga. and who among us doesnt like a great manga?! haha ok if you like SDK or if you hate it tell me about it, i think its a great series and i think that everyone shood give it a try.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Why is it so good? Why should people read it other than you saying "It's great?" Tell us what makes it great. Also:
Teh Rules wrote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.
This issue also needs to be improved, with things like capital letters and apostrophes where they need to be.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, this is my first thread.
okay, i think that Samurai Deeper Kyo is a great manga
because of the art, story, and charactor depth. The story
is consistantly taking dramtic twists and turns so that
every page is something new. The depth of the charactors
is also somethiing i find amazing, i feel like i i have really
met them and knew them my whole life. The first thing that
drew me to this series was the art. For the most part it is fairly
easy to tell between an author's earlier and later works, but with
SDK the art is consistant from the first to the present volume. And
since it is about samurai there are tons of great sword fights. Also If you
like a story where the main charactor is the "bad guy" then you should
really check SDK out. Kyo is the ultimate bad good guy. Any way i think
it is a title worth checking out.
JOINERIC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I love the SDK manga much better than the anime because its easier to follow because like you said it has about a million twists and turns. I watched a little bit of the anime first and got to about episode 7 and started reading the manga, and then finished the anime. Although, I have to pay homage to the fight scenes in the anime.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
You are very right, the anime does have a lot of great fight scenes. It's just
that i'm not a huge fan of the genma things. I like it better when the fights
are against real people. But the first fight in the anime spoiler[ against the
snake guy]
was sweet. I actually have not finished the anime, I
only have the first 2 volumes, but the manga goes a lot more in depth with
almost everything.
Hazzor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
do the manga and the anime differ alot? i have watched the anime, isn't wasn't too bad.
Would it be worth reading the manga? from what i can tell there's alot more charachter development which is usually the case, but are there any major difference like how it ends or anything.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The anime was made when the manga was only about half-finished, if that, so there will be significant differences. The manga is 39 or 40 volumes (I've heard both) in Japan and the U.S. release is up to volume 21 with 22 coming out soon, I think. Sadly, Tokyopop releases pretty much everying quarterly now, so it will be about 4.5 years until they finish it here.

I've read up through volume 19 and enjoyed it but then I decided I didn't feel like dealing with 3 months between volumes. I'm still buying them as they come out, but I'll restart it and finish it when I have the whole thing.
dngo420

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote
The manga has 38 volumes. The anime fails in comparison to its manga counterpart. In the anime all i saw was Kyo using the same technique gods know how many times, but dont get me wrong, i love seeing Kyo live action and all, just that the company could've done a better job and made the series more popular. I mean if you google SDK, you'll rarely see any forums talking about it now. Furthermore the story is very much shounen, since spoiler[ Kyo always gets powerups like 5 times after he starts losing to the current enemy.

Any way, SDK is a great series, bad anime (which should be redone imho)

cheers!]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
It's 38 volumes according to the AoD chart, so that's probably correct, but I recall something about a 39th volume, so I figured its possible the guy in charge of it was never informed of it. I don't know where I got 40 volumes from before.

I saw the first few episodes of the anime and then just went with the manga. I knew the anime was only covering a portion of the story or heavily altering it for a forced ending, so I didn't bother watching beyond the third or fourth episode (whenever Mahiro showed up). I've read up to 18 or 19 of the manga, but I hate waiting three months between volumes, so I'm buying them as they come out but I'm waiting until the whole series is out before I reread the first half of the series and then finish it. I'm doing the same thing for Fruits Basket. I don't mind Del Rey's quarterly releases for Negima since its still ongoing in Japan and they aren't very far behind, but I generally dislike 3+ months between releases and don't often read them as they come out at that kind of pace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1