• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm not receiving Topic Reply Notifications

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I have not been recieving any e-mail notifications for the past 2 days. I've checked my profile and the notify option is turned on. They are not being caught by my spam filter either.

Am I the only unfortunate person with this problem? Or is it a problem with the website? Please help.

EDIT: Just to add: I'm using AOL Highspeed cable with Windows XP. I recently renewed my subscription to Norton Personal Firewall, but it has nothing to do with e-mail.

Last edited by Whearn9999 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I just need to know if this is an issue with the website, or if not, I can investigate other possible reasons. Thank you.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
How do you check your e-mail(outlook. thunderbird, etc.)? It might be possible that depending on where your e-mail is coming from(yahoo, msn, google, hotmail, etc.) that they are regarding it as spam and therefore not allowing it to get to your inbox.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quote
I have AOL and there is a spam folder that collects any email that it thinks may be spam. That way I can look it over in case something isn't spam. It was the first thing I checked. The email address that ANN uses to send the messages is saved to my address book, so it shouldn't even be considered as spam. If none of the tech people on ANN have any advice or suggestions, I'll probably call AOL cust service to see if they can help. Thanks for your interest in my plight. Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote
Have you checked the thread itself? When you reply to threads, there's a little box you click that says "Notify me when a reply is posted." Back when I used this feature, I would forget to click on it a lot of the time and never recieved notifications. Then again, I'm not sure if it becomes automatic if you already have the option turned on through your profile anyway (I've since turned it off to reduce clutter).
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Have you checked the thread itself? When you reply to threads, there's a little box you click that says "Notify me when a reply is posted." Back when I used this feature, I would forget to click on it a lot of the time and never recieved notifications. Then again, I'm not sure if it becomes automatic if you already have the option turned on through your profile anyway (I've since turned it off to reduce clutter).

Yes, I do have that option turned on in my profile. Consequently, that box is automatically checked at the bottom. Just in case, I have been looking to make sure it is checked. I'm going to call AOL tonight......crosses fingers....
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I just called AOL and they assure me that nothing is being blocked.

Is ANN still using [email protected] as the email sender? Or did it change?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
I've also been having this problem for about a week now. I no longer use AOL, but I stll use its webmail services. The circumstances are similar to Whearn9999's (notify upon reply is activated, no problems with the settings on my spam filtering). I doubt my ISP is the cause, since Whearn9999 uses a different one from mine (which at the moment is James Madison University). Methinks AOL's e-mail service is acting a bit buggy at the moment, so I'm going to go ahead and redirect notifications to another e-mail address to see if this is indeed the case.

EDIT: I registered for a Hotmail account, and I'm receiving topic reply notifications again. It seems quite probable that the problem is with AOL's e-mail service, after all.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ok, well I called AOL again and referred to NGE's situation of how switching to a non-AOL email address fixed the problem. That prompted them to send a report to their server techs. So, I'll give it a couple days. He also suggested I re-install my AOL software to see if that helps too.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry for taking so long. I just checked the server's mail queue and it is filled with undelivered messages, most of them for aol.com addresses (49 for Whearn9999!) The server tries to resend mails every 30 minutes, so as NGE1113 said I think this is an AOL problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:38 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Sorry for taking so long. I just checked the server's mail queue and it is filled with undelivered messages, most of them for aol.com addresses (49 for Whearn9999!) The server tries to resend mails every 30 minutes, so as NGE1113 said I think this is an AOL problem.

Thanks for the info Smile I'll give AOl a couple days to straighten their stuff out before I start rolling their heads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1