• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This place seems to be haven for bots and spam

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Why is that? Isnt there some sort of filter or something? Cant you do that little alphanumeric password for new registrations that prevent bots from sneaking in?
Zarabadoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
phpBB is a magnet for bots. That is what you get for being top dog unfortunately. every installation I see seems to attract them like flies. It is one of the reasons I tend to go with Simple Machines forum with every forum I set up.

Hopefully whenever the next major version of phpBB comes out it will have fixed some of the bot holes. As for right now, I can't see a lot they can do to because even CAPTCHA doesn't seem to work a lot of times.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Why is that? Isnt there some sort of filter or something? can't you do that little alphanumeric password for new registrations that prevent bots from sneaking in?

Rest assured, if you have problems with spambots here, just notify admin (Zac, tempest) and they will be sure to take care of it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Why is that? Isnt there some sort of filter or something? can't you do that little alphanumeric password for new registrations that prevent bots from sneaking in?

Rest assured, if you have problems with spambots here, just notify admin (Zac, tempest) and they will be sure to take care of it.
Or just report the post, and one of us mods will deal with it. To my knowledge, any spammer's IP address or IP range gets banned.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Or just report the post, and one of us mods will deal with it. To my knowledge, any spammer's IP address or IP range gets banned.

I know that, but to my understanding only admin can ban posters.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
They do seem to be posting within existing threads more than they used to. I just reported a whole bunch of garbage on the Australia forum. Is that part of the mod's normal territory? Some of them were from a day or two ago, and one topic has been completely overrun.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
Well, unfortunately I can not do anything in the Australian forums nor do we get those reports. I think there are mods specific to the Australian portion of the forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
I've just added a simple spam filter. We'll see if it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:20 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I've just added a simple spam filter. We'll see if it helps.

Sadly, no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1