• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some lingering questions after finishing Wolf's Rain

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gubernaculum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this series 2 days ago. I have a few nagging questions about plot points that I didn't think were well explained. Hopefully some of you can help me out.

spoiler[ 1. What exactly was the curse of the Darcias that caused their downfall?

2. How did Darcia get the wolf's eye if he's a Noble and supposedly from another world? Was that him in Kyrios when Quent's family was killed?

3. Hige was "#23". How come he wasn't "stuffed" like the other wolves with collars?

4. What was the "Paradise Sickness" that Hamona got?]

My apologies if some of these question were actually answered in the show. I had a few distractions while watching it and may have missed something.

[EDIT: Please remember to use spoiler tags next time. -TK]
Shiroi Kiba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Its been awhile so I’ll do the best I can...
spoiler[
1. I'm not really sure about the curse of the Darcias, but i think it started with the "current Darcias" ancestor of some kind when they started messing around with The Book of the Moon and/or Paradise.

2. Darcia got the wolf's eye probably in some alchemic experiment or received it from Paradise. Also, apparently in a "certain" Paradise he was more or less a wolf. For some reason when he came back to the "real world" he remained a wolf for a period of time. That would work in with the idea that he killed Quent's family. Quent does recognizes Darcia as his family’s killer as soon as he sees him turning back into a wolf. I could be looking into this a bit to much, because this was rather a hazy part of the story and was never fully explained.

Darcia wasn't so much from another world, but kinda of a highly advanced human. Think of it as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer then span this over a great period of time. The nobility (which they are called) will gain a lot of knowledge and advanced technology (i.e. long lives, space ships, alchemy) while the lower class goes almost nowhere gaining little knowledge and would see what the nobility have as magical.

3. Hige wasn't "stuffed", but I'm sure he was well on his way. He was more or less being used to track Kiba and keep tabs on him; which was unknown even to Hige for quite some time. It wasn't until he got the collar off and escaped his mind control that he changed his fate of being stuffed as soon as they were done using him. I'm sure all those other wolves were used to same extent before they became "stuffed".

4. The paradise sickness is more or less Hamona being unable to deal with the world after coming back from Paradise. It could be that Paradise was such a great place and that leaving it was just to much for her to bare. Kinda like being removed from a state of perfect bliss and loosing your sense of self. It could also simply be also that her soul is just trap in paradise while her body returned as Darcia plainly said. Who knows.

Also, when Darcia and Hamona returned from paradise Hamona fell into the paradise sickness shortly after possibly causing Darcia to go into a killing spree that involved Quent's family. Remember what Darcia started doing after she actually died, but again it’s a hazy part. ]

Well, I hope that helped…
Gubernaculum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Aye, thanks for that and apologies to Tony for not using spoiler tags.

As already mentioned in other threads about this show, one of it's strengths (or weakness depending on your view) is that it's somewhat open to interpretation, particualarly the ending. I'm a fan of endings (or whole shows for that matter) that make you think but I don't like it when important plot points aren't explained or expanded on. I think the answers to some of my questions are a bit open to interpretation as well so it's great hearing what other people's thoughts are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1