• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your favorite volume of an anime series?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taoofjord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
For my money, anime just doesn't get better than Volume 9 of The Twelve Kindoms. I believe the closing of the third arc in the series is not just one of the greatest moments in anime, but one of the greatest moments of any television show. There are so many powerful scenes packed into these 5 episodes that my jaw really never left the ground.

My second pick would have to be the first volume of Kino's Journey. It had my favorite episodes in it and the stories were just phenomenal. I will never forget episode two: spoiler[Where Kino takes care of the three men when there truck gets stuck in the blizzard.] The first episode where spoiler[Kino visits the country that is seemingly run by robots] is very atmospheric and memorable.

I hope this isn't a thread that is done too often. I'm looking forward to reading what you guys pick!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Vol.7 of Rurouni Kenshin: Shadow of the Wolf.

As some of you know, this is my favorite TV series, and it is my favorite volume of any anime because it's the beginning of the Kyoto arc.

The transition from the lighter side of Kenshin in season one makes itself known with the appearance of spoiler[ Shinsengumi 3rd squad captain, Saitou Hajime (go Mibu-roh).]

If the change in music isn't plainly obvious, then the last episode of this volume should be more than enough to tell you the different direction that the franchise will take. While it's not the most memorable episode of anime in my mind, it certainly is my favorite of this series in terms of conveying the kind of mood shift that made Kyoto so freakin' enjoyable to watch.
taoofjord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Vol.7 of Rurouni Kenshin: Shadow of the Wolf.

As some of you know, this is my favorite TV series, and it is my favorite volume of any anime because it's the beginning of the Kyoto arc.

The transition from the lighter side of Kenshin in season one makes itself known with the appearance of spoiler[ Shinsengumi 3rd squad captain, Saitou Hajime (go Mibu-roh).]

If the change in music isn't plainly obvious, then the last episode of this volume should be more than enough to tell you the different direction that the franchise will take. While it's not the most memorable episode of anime in my mind, it certainly is my favorite of this series in terms of conveying the kind of mood shift that made Kyoto so freakin' enjoyable to watch.

Do you recommend watching the first arc or can I just skip to the Kyoto arc? I've been meaning to check out the series for a while now.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that might very well be the best volume of Twelve Kingdoms, although there are probably a few more I could pick too. I could also chose any of the four volumes of Fruits Basket for different reasons.

I guess I'll go with volume 6 of Last Exile though. What an emotional rollercoaster! spoiler[I saw how it was going to end a mile away. Heck, we had started getting hints at the end of the last volume. But when it was over I just sat there in stunned silence. My first thought was oh, @#$@, the witch actually did it! My second was oh dear God, how on earth is Claus going to tell Dio if and when he comes to his senses?]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
taoofjord wrote:
Do you recommend watching the first arc or can I just skip to the Kyoto arc? I've been meaning to check out the series for a while now.

Read the manga up to, but not including, Vol 7, and then pick up in the Kyoto Arc in the series. There's too many bits and pieces of dull and uninspired filler in the early episodes of the series, and honestly, it's more worthwhile just to read the manga for that portion. When you finish the Kyoto Arc, skip the rest of the series, and resume the manga at Vol 18.

Key wrote:
Anyone who just passed Mahoromatic off as lightweight derivative drivel probably didn't see that volume.

I agree; it was definitely the best volume in the series, and is the place where the ecchi and harem minimizes greatly and the plot really picks up fast. I never thought I'd actually see spoiler[fast-paced, exciting, and well animated fights] in a series which appeared to be a simple harem at first glance. Though, I wasn't quite fond of the ending, which was somewhat inconclusive. Hopefully, Something More Beautiful will change my views.

Last edited by frentymon on Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Um, wow, taoofjord's top pick is the same as mine, and for pretty much the same reasons. I'm probably over 500 anime DVDs now and can't think of another volume I've watched more frequently since I got it than Twelve Kingdoms volume 9. The way things play out is just so immensely gratifying for anyone who's followed the series up to that point.

Any other volume I own is a distant second to that one, but if I had to choose a couple of runner-ups they would be Ai Yori Aoshi volume 1 and Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden (i.e. the first season) volume 3. The former I choose because of how beautiful a set-up it is for the series, and the latter becuase it's a surprisingly serious, powerful, and emotional wrap-up to a series which had, until that point, mostly been a comedic fan service fest. Anyone who just passed Mahoromatic off as lightweight derivative drivel probably didn't see that volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
taoofjord wrote:

I'd like to say the actual transtion from season one to season two feels pretty good. However, in comparison to the manga, season one is pretty spliced up in terms of rearranging the story in some of the mini-arcs and making filler here and there, but a lot of those elements still translate well (I actually saw the anime first before I read the manga).

Coincidentally, the first six volumes of manga basically cover the first six volumes of the anime (aside from the filler, of course). If at all possible, try to at least read that part of the manga to get a feel for the characters, as it's very important for plot and character development during Kyoto. And after that, try to watch the first OAV ("Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal") for a real jump in atmosphere Anime exclamation.

In terms of continuity for the manga, the anime is dead-on for the Kyoto arc and is exactly the same. I would just prefer you somehow try to introduce yourself with those first six volumes. I mean, it's like saying you jumped into The Empire Strikes Back without seeing A New Hope first Wink.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with the third arc from Twelve Kingdoms, it's absolutely fantastic the way the different threads are woven together and is almost definitely my number one most "satisfying" section (late eps 38- mid 39).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sushifunk373

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
as of now volume 5 of madlax. This where everything starts to come together, and there is lots of powerful scenes. and the music gets even more amazing!
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Since the DVDs are being released in box sets, am I allowed to say box five of Maison Ikkoku? If not, disc three is pretty much everything in a nutshell (although I was nearly equally impressed with disc two).

The introduction to Asuna really packed together all that is great with the series. It had some of the silliest misunderstandings, funniest comedy, and a very nice flow. Episode 60 alone packed in some of the best dramatic elements of the series, and was shot on such a precise level that I was reminded once again that this was a completely different series from the manga, executed in a far grander level.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
sushifunk373 wrote:
as of now volume 5 of madlax. This where everything starts to come together, and there is lots of powerful scenes. and the music gets even more amazing!

If you think vol 5 is your top pick now, then apparently you haven't seen vol. 6 and especially 7 yet. You ain't seen nothin' yet! Wink

frentymon wrote:
I agree; it was definitely the best volume in the series, and is the place where the ecchi and harem minimizes greatly and the plot really picks up fast. I never thought I'd actually see spoiler[fast-paced, exciting, and well animated fights] in a series which appeared to be a simple harem at first glance. Though, I wasn't quite fond of the ending, which was somewhat inconclusive. Hopefully, Something More Beautiful will change my views.

I wouldn't call Mahoromatic a harem series, though it's certainly ecchi. The end of the first series is admittedly inconclusive, but it still had me in tears. Most of the first two volumes of Something More Beautiful are just silly fan service-heavy filler, with the final volume again turning serious, powerful, and emotional. Opinions are majorly split on the final episode, but most people find at least the rest of the last volume to be very satisfying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3 of Giant Robo is the most incredible, Shakespearean piece of animation in the history of mankind. Anyone who denies that is wrong. Wink

Also, Gankutsuou volume 5 was pretty much awesome in every way possible. All full of emotion, drama, beautiful animation and music, and pretty much everything else you could want.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
I wrote this after watching vol 9 of Full Metal Alchemist one of my favorite volumes in recent viewing. I still think that one of the last volumes may surpass this but I haven't watched it.

ME! wrote:
No I am not asking for where to buy rather I am here to discuss this volume.
I know many of you have finished the series since it was on with Cartoon network (I originally saw it sub, and I am watching the series now Dub) well anyhow I finally got my hands on vol 9 and this is one of best volume that has come out to date. Vol 9 covers episodes 33-36, or they are four episodes dealing with spoiler[Izumi battles Greed while Al is kidnap, Ed battle with Greed, Lust's past and Winry discovering what happened to her parents.] I am going to go episode by episode (Dub version) in discussion of somethings that I found interesting.
Please note from this point forward there are major spoilers as all of the key parts of this volume are discussed; so if you don't want to know what is going to happen please don't read ahead.

Epsiode 33 Al Captured: spoiler[The first scene with Izumi and Dante is really interesting, because for a couple of reasons. First thing is Dante telling Izumi that she can't always protect Ed and Al. One of things about Fullmetal Alchemist that is forgotten (at least I think) is that Ed and Al and there maturity as individuals, and when you think about there only what 15 and 13 or something like that? Is it so strange that Izumi see them as Children still, and yet she knows that they have been through so many hardships. It part of that interesting question, how do you allow your children to grow up? There is a fine line between over protecting them, and allowing children to make their own decision regardless of the consequences at hand. One other part that kinda bugs me about this part is Dante stating that "You (Izumi) won't see me again" Ok I am a bit off (mainly because it been so long since I have seen the show) is that because she plans to transfer her body to the girl servant or is the servant girl already (what her name) that evil Lady?]

Episode 34 Theory of Avarice: spoiler[Great title by the way for this episode and it does if you know what avarice means. I really like the set up where everything ends with the beginning where as Greed life ends where it began. Greed VS Edward is such a great fight. Just like it is mention in the next episode that the beauty of the violence is what is so amazing......Is that possible, a bloody, brutal, savage battle be a thing of beauty, or is just some sick dream? After Greed passes we really see that human side of Edward, at the sight of death. Although Edward wanted to defeat Greed I am not sure he kinew the price it would take on him. Also at the end of this episode Ed, Al, and Izumi are standing over two grave one for Dante and one for Greed I am guessing. Didn't anyone think it was strange that they made a tombstone (Because I don't what they would of buried of Greed, maybe the bones?) for Greed. Or is that Edward showing remorse for his action.]

Episode 35 Reunion of the Fallen: spoiler[I really enjoy this episode because it gives Lust a whole other side, it makes her seem like a human. I always though that Lust had the best possible of leaving the group and becoming a part of normal society. But then again its hard to rejoin society when your not sure what you are. And even Lust has those thought in her head, what she really is what is her past. I love the last minutes of the is episode the music and the death of Lujon, with Lust tieing up her loose ends. And with that the death of everyone, with Lujon and Lidda in his hands.]

Episode 36 The sinner within: spoiler[I am so glad that the beginning of this episode had some of that humor, after the last three episode. After Riza explains what Roy did to stop an outbreak, its just one of many steps to show how much Roy value life after all the deaths and the lives taken by Roy. I love that line when Scar is walking away "Even in the darkest of suffering a man can sleep, but for the man who inflict the suffering his mind can not rest ever". It such a powerful line that it make you think about what could possible go on in the mind of these people. Right after that scene Winry learns of her parents true faith, that they perished at the hands of Roy Mustang. That train scene is so sad, where Riza describe how Soliders sometime must follow an order even if it doesn't make sense (sounds very much like Vietnam, and the stories my father has told me) or seems wrong. Winry finally learns what has happened to our poor Maes, that he would give his life in order to make Mustang the furher, and Winry tears carry us out of this volume. ]

Small side note: I really like the Dub for this volume a lot, beside that of Glutony, but for some reason it feels like scar (who didn't have a huge part in this volume) is getting a lot better. I always felt that Scar was alright but in this volume I really like Scar's dub.
Overall this volume is extremely sad and has so many twist and turns and really begins to the shape the series and how it will begin to play out. I can't wait until I get my next volume (and my new tin) to see how things turn out.

As mention above the Count of Monte Cristo are amazing, unfortunely it's so hard to find those DVD's at a decent price. But from memory I bet some of those volumes are so amazing.....
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1