• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop website now a Myspace wanna-be

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
Who else absolutely hates the new Tokyopop website? I went to the site just now to see if Kodomo no Jikan had a product description and a short summary of the series yet, and I find the site has been turned into a blog. If you want to browse their manga, you have to do so through their Right Stuff International page, which has a tiny, almost invisible link up in the top right corner. They let registered members blog, upload pictures of themselves, upload their AMVs, write fanfiction, draw fan art, upload audio clips of them singing fan songs, and --what irritates me THE MOST-- create and upload their own "manga". I miss the good old days when the Tokyopop website was just a place to look up summaries of their different series and not a Myspace wanna-be. How long has the site been like this? Has it been this way for months and I just never noticed?
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
Apparently it has been that way since about July 20th. I think the manga summaries can still be found in the 'books' link on the menu to the left side, but I still preferred the previous layout. Although I have never done much more than browse on the website anyway.

ETA: I'm not sure but I think Kodomo no Jikan is not going to be released by Tokyopop.

Edited a second time to add: Found it, it is Seven Seas Entertainment and they are actually releasing this in December. gomanga.com

Why? Is my only question. That picture alone tells me to stay away Shocked And here I felt guilty watching Kiddy Grade.

Well in this case at least Tokyopop is only guilty of having bad web layout tastes.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
Wow, I tried registering, and the piece of crap keeps telling me that my username is invalid because it has punctuation, even though there are no periods or anything. Whatever, the site looks dumb, and I don't read manga, anyway. Screw Tokyospace. Laughing
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Wow, I tried registering, and the piece of crap keeps telling me that my username is invalid because it has punctuation, even though there are no periods or anything. Whatever, the site looks dumb, and I don't read manga, anyway. Screw Tokyospace. Laughing

If you tried inputting the same username you're using here, it's because there's a space between the words. Try spelling it like GodGundam or God_Gundam. (And by the way, why don't you read manga?)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Why? Is my only question. That picture alone tells me to stay away Shocked

Anyone else wondering what she's doing with her right hand?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quote
I don't like the new website, it does look like a Myspace to me. I also go on the forums and express my opinions. Stupid thing is they took mine off because they thought it was too harsh. It wasn't meant to be in anyway. They claim to care what fans think but so far they haven't been doing anything the fans have been asking.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
Seems like they are trying to appeal to the blog generation with this crap. I find it annoying personally but that is mostly because the layout is kinda clumzy and not very user-friendly. Nothing wrong with trying to connect to fans, but keep all the manga info easily accesisible and on the fornt page for God's sake.

Quote:

Almost certainly exactly what you think she is doing, Wolverine Princess' curiosity I assume was sparked by this thread
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Try spelling it like GodGundam or God_Gundam.

I did, and it still didn't work. But I'm not going to even bother joining, so who cares?

Woverine Princess wrote:
(And by the way, why don't you read manga?)

Because watching anime is more fun.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Woverine Princess wrote:
(And by the way, why don't you read manga?)

Because watching anime is more fun.

That's really a matter of preference. I know some people who think the Rurouni Kenshin manga is way better than the anime.

As for this website, I think that they have so much unnecessary stuff. Look at the videos page: "jay and silent bob", "SweetS - Love Like Candy Floss (English sub karaoke)". Also check out the Food & Lifestyle page. What the hell? What do these things have to do with anime or manga?!
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah for some reason it wouldn't work when my friend tried to sign up.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
TOKYOPOOP shows it's true colors. Can they get any worse?

Much like how any Anime Convention nowadays isn't about the Anime and Cosplay, it's a stupid excuse for Drunk College Kids to get rowdy.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
undeadben wrote:
Why? Is my only question. That picture alone tells me to stay away Shocked

Awe man did you have to point that out. I was all like "well she's just a cute little girl". *scroll down to your post, re-look at picture* OMG!! Shocked I am going to go jump in the ocean now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Apparently, Kodomo no Jikan is an H-manga. It should then not be hard to guess what she's doing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The new design is certainly ugly and not particularly use friendly, but you can still find info on all of their series in the "Books" section on the tab of the left.

Arg, still no volume 15 for Vampire Game....
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
TOKYOPOOP shows it's true colors. Can they get any worse?

Much like how any Anime Convention nowadays isn't about the Anime and Cosplay, it's a stupid excuse for Drunk College Kids to get rowdy.

Elaborate.

Heh, the only con event I've seen anyone get rowdy at is Dick and Buster's Hentai Dubbing Extravaganza at Anime Boston. But then, it's hentai dubbing, so it's okay to act rowdy there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2