• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Microsoft Reveals New Xbox One Console

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokudo55

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
the Xbox One would make a great brick to throw through people's windows
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Xbox One, the greatest name ever...

I like how they're naming the third Xbox that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I already read about this Xbox on various websites (and please don't attack me on being a PS3 or a Wii U fanboy), but this console is not going to do well. This is probably Microsoft's doomed console.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The new Microsoft's video game console with Sony technology (BD drive).

I wonder how fanboys will react to that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

The disc that the Wii U used is based off of Blu-ray, I didn't see PS fanboys that include me complaining about it. My concern with Xbox one is a lot of thing like non-removable HDD drive, no ability to play used game, no backward compatibility (but then again the 360 BC for the first Xbox wasn't good), always online, and other problems that make question MS decision and I'm scared for this Xbox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm feeling pretty mixed on this one. I like the fact that it has a BD player, and like the fact that its technical specs are better than the 360 (as is to be expected).

That being said, I'm not sure about the install. I like not requiring disk for playing the game, but I don't like the having to pay a fee to unlock used disks (I really hate the anti used game stuff that's been happening in the previous console gen too). Well, it goes down to how large the fee is. For a newer game it would probably be equal to the price of the game, which in a way makes sense, but what about older games?

The cloud stuff I'm not sure about either. Do I really want to need internet connection to play my stuff? On the other hand, using the xbox paritally as a terminal and doing some computing server side is good because it increases the capabilities of the device, but what if that isn't available.

Also, I can say that I don't like at all the trend of the thing trying to become more PC or smartphone like. I don't want to use it for apps, or to go on the internet, and for it to shove ads down my face like it's nobody's business. I want to play video games on my video game console.

The bottom line is, the main thing that bugs me about the things I have problems with is that a lot of these decisions seem very short sighted, and not tenable to the long term. Sure, maybe I can install the game and pay the fee, or play games that utilize this cloud computing, but what about 20 years down the road, when there's no support for the thing anymore? I doubt xbox one servers will be up in 2033, so if I want to buy a disk of some awesome but obscure xbox one game then, maybe I won't be able to play it because I can't go on to pay the fee and there's no cloud.

I know it may sound silly that my complaints refer to stuff so long term, but that's the point. Just before I posted this, I was playing the 1991 Metroid 2: the Return of Samus for the Gameboy, and because the way that the whole thing was set up then, there's no issues even in theory. It just works, and doesn't condition on anything. It works the same as in 1991, because the whole setup was built to last.

Actually, I feel that games in general now are much more short sighted, not really created with the intention of them being played long term: only short term and then on to the next thing. It's this whole thing that's bothering me, and I don't like how it seems to be reflected in the new console.

Oh well, I guess it's just changing times, and for me the halcyon days of old are gone. Whoa, I'm starting to sound like an old man aren't I? Rolling Eyes
Juhachi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
article wrote:
"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play." If someone wants to use the game on a second account, Wired reports "that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

So let me get this straight. Say me and my friend both have an Xbox One and I got this sweet new game, which I've been playing and my friend wants to try it out at his place. If I just give him the disc, he has to pay a fee to even play it on his machine? Rolling Eyes

Let alone the other flaws (no backwards compatibility? Really?), this seems doomed to failure.

I never really thought we'd see another Dreamcast-like fiasco.

Last edited by Juhachi on Tue May 21, 2013 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

The disc that the Wii U used is based off of Blu-ray, I didn't see PS fanboys that include me complaining about it.

I am expecting bitching from xbots. As a PS3 owner, I am kind pf laughting at Microsoft because they are using technology from its competitor.

It would be crazy if in exchange Microsoft had to let their flagship franchises, like Halo and Gears of War, be on the PS4.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Bullshit like this makes me glad I'm not a gamer. But how long until "You cannot view this BD on your player unless you gibe full msrp monies plos or i report u".
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I feel the need to point out that the picture in the article isn't actually a picture of the console itself, but rather of the new Kinect. Not that they look much different anyways... I actually do like the design, although it looks like a sleek, shiny VCR Laughing

But yeah, reception has been pretty lukewarm so far. They announced a new video game console, but barely talked about the video games, which apparently they're saving for E3. I'll reserve my judgement until then, but Microsoft hasn't left me with a very good first impression of their new console.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

The disc that the Wii U used is based off of Blu-ray, I didn't see PS fanboys that include me complaining about it.

I am expecting bitching from xbots. As a PS3 owner, I am kind pf laughting at Microsoft because they are using technology from its competitor.

It would be crazy if in exchange Microsoft had to let their flagship franchises, like Halo and Gears of War, be on the PS4.

Actually MS doesn't own Gears of War like many people thought. Epic owned the series with MS publishing the game so Epic Game can make a Gears collection for PS4. As the 2 articles I link said, the president of Epic would love to have Gears on PS3 and maybe PS4 (I think PS4 can handle Gears since a 100 GB blu-ray can handle all 4 Gears games on one big Blu-ray disc). Hm, maybe if MS allowed Gears to go to PS4, we can give Metal Gear Solid 4 to Xbox since they are probably going to get Metal Gear Solid Legacy for Xbox One.
Blak_Gear

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I own both an Xbox and a PS3, and as much fun I've had with friends on Xbox I can easily say that this reveal was pretty damn detrimental to Microsoft. Their DRM just pretty much kills any enthusiasm I had for this console since I have fond memories of friends bringing games over to pal around in.

Guess I'll stick with my 3DS and PC unless Nintendo can convince me to get a Wii U.

As for a PS4, it's up in the air.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:

So let me get this straight. Say me and my friend both have an Xbox One and I got this sweet new game, which I've been playing and my friend wants to try it out at his place. If I just give him the disc, he has to pay a fee to even play it on his machine? Rolling Eyes

That seems to be the case, though it sounds like if you go over there and log in with your XBL account, you can just play it with no fee. I think. I'm not entirely certain on that.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
And this is why I'm loyal to Nintendo. They may have marketed their new console like shit initially, but they always come out on top with tech. Anime exclamation

...Granted that each of these three new consoles aren't going to do very well...

(Providing the fact that I too haven't bought a Wii U nor plan on it at any point foreseeable.)

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dan9999

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
article wrote:
"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play." If someone wants to use the game on a second account, Wired reports "that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Let alone the other flaws (no backwards compatibility? Really?), this seems doomed to failure.

I never really thought we'd see another Dreamcast-like fiasco.

Normally it should be like this, but there are countless sheep out there, uneducated and pardon the word, but ignorant gamers.

Already have my 360 on sale as I write this, only bought for Tales of Vesperia to begin with.

Not touching a MS console again as things look.

The console war since this generation seems to be a race to see who wins the title of biggest moronic company , Sony won his war hands down with never before seen dedication, and MS seems be the the winner by default "next gen" and shows it can be a bigger di*k.

I aint supporting MS wet dreams of endless ripping off customers.

Last edited by dan9999 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7