• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where to find articles/information on 'dolls'(read please)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Couldnt make the title as long as I wanted. ^^'
Anyway, I'm doing a school project in Society and Culture, which is on otaku in japanese society and how they are viewed. I've found a lot of great stuff so far, and it's proved alot more interesting research than I originally thought.
ANYWAY, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find any articles/information on 'those' dolls many REALLY obsessive otaku have, you know, the life-size anime girl replicas. I know there's a few, but I cant remember where... ^^'
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
championferret

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
...not entirely what I meant.
I looked everywhere and only found the one article, so it'll have to do.
Despite what a lot of people think, the otaku who own the life-size anime dolls more often than not dont use them for 'perverted' things...they prefer to dress them in clothes and take them to places to take photos. I was hoping there'd be more info on them, but oh well.
If anyone else wants to see, I did find the site for 'Paper Moon', a company that makes them: https://secure.pmoon.co.jp/TOUSHINDAI/index.html
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:43 am Reply with quote
Oh, your sooooo gonna be scarred for life when you dig deeper. Rolling Eyes
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote
Seriously, there are some aspects of otaku culture that many do not/should not know about. Hell, I don't want to know the things I don't know. But I'll try and help out anyway, I'll post whatever I can find out later today.
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote
I like Ruri from Nadesico & Sakura from Sakura Taisen as much as anyone, but the thought of seeing one of those life sized dolls on that link that you posted anywhere besides an anime convention seriously creeps me out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
It's somewhat creepy and I'll be the first to admit that, but I cant help but harbour an awed fascination for these people. I'm sure there was a documentry or something once...damnation.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I wouldn't have minded swiping that 7-foot Alphonse Elric that Funimation had at their booth during last year's cons.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I saw that, it was awfully cool, but not the sort of thing a fangirl would take home and proclaim that it's her husband. Anime hyper
I'm guessing there isnt alot of stuff out there for this, huh...
godakame

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'd like have the lifesize Ronald McDonald doll sitting on the bench at my Walmart. Sadly, he's nailed down. On second thought I'd rather have the Hambugular doll, or his companion, the inept purple thing.

Anyways I'll ask my friend, who lives in Japan, about the dolls. He did a video documentary about otakus for class (it's an American college). Hopefully he'll know something about it.

If your interested I have a 5 min clip that my friend recorded which depicts otakus at their "best". It might help you with your report. In it you'll find a street performance done by 2 cosplay girls and their fellow male cohort who by the way looks like he's about to murder someone. A small crowd gathers (15-20 people) shortly after they setup. The girls turn on their boom box which blasted out some j-pop music and they start dancing. Initially I thought my laughter would be brought about from the girls, but I was dead wrong. The crowd who seemingly gathered randomly have all started to break out in a semi-coordinated dance. They were spurred on by the enthusiasm of the girls and pedo-looking man helper. I could'nt believe what was happening. To furthur the weirdness, the more rowdy people busted out glow sticks. GLOW STICKS! Very funny stuff. Some of the people get really really into it. You'll only see this stuff in Japan. Keep in mind this is a street performance. My friend recently found their website (which was posted on one of their flyers), http://fice.jp/works.htm PM if you want the video. heres the link to the song that was playing http://fice00.hp.infoseek.co.jp/lovechu.mp3
championferret

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you for that. ^^ *PMd*
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote
Godakame if you don't mind I'd like to see that video too O.o; sounds intresting olol
godakame

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
Godakame if you don't mind I'd like to see that video too O.o; sounds intresting olol

Originally I was planning on sending the video only to championferret, considering he was doing a report on it, but if you really want to see it just PM me. If you know of a site where I can upload a 282mb 5min video clip for free, let me know. Otherwise PMing me is the only way to obtain the video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1