• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Entered the Minigame with thirty seconds to spare.

I want to go on record as saying that I filled out my entire bracket in twelve minutes and that includes sending the e-mail, so I'm not expecting to do well. I just want to be entered.
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Entered the Minigame with thirty seconds to spare.

I want to go on record as saying that I filled out my entire bracket in twelve minutes and that includes sending the e-mail, so I'm not expecting to do well. I just want to be entered.

And somehow you will still get 7th to 3rd place, you have been pretty consistent over the years assuming you briefly glanced at the nomination tallies. That being said, I think we have more than the usual number of minigame entries, low to mid twenties would be my estimate. It will be interesting to see if any of the newcomers do well, which historically isn't at all unheard of. It is doubtful my friend entered since I sent him a reminder text, and he didn't respond.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Nah, I didn't do well. Since I was pressed for time I went hugely for seeds, also favoured a couple of candidates a bit too much like Haruyuki. Three of my four semi-finalists were the Twelve Kingdoms candidates (the other was Fakir; I don't think he is actually all that strong despite all of his support, and I hope he gets knocked out early). I had Youko beating Shoukei for the win. But that's what happens when you suddenly decide thirteen minutes from the deadline to enter. I literally sent the E-mail with thirty seconds to go.

Anyway, I'm glad I entered, I'll do poorly but simply being in the Minigame in the first place is fun. Plus I help round out the numbers, thereby making for a more lively battle. Maybe I can fight someone for last place?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
mow123 wrote:
And somehow you will still get 7th to 3rd place, you have been pretty consistent over the years assuming you briefly glanced at the nomination tallies. That being said, I think we have more than the usual number of minigame entries, low to mid twenties would be my estimate.

22 (not counting myself, as I made one for fun), it looks like, which ties the most entrants we've ever had (Best Hero being the other).

Also, in what I think is a first, we've got a double digit favorite to win the whole thing. You get one guess as to whom.

Minigame contestant list:
marie-antoinette
Morwen Laicoriel
gGultra
Vaisaga
Olliff
CrowLia
Tris
Rosebrook
4750g
Aylinn
Beltane
A Mystery
The Naked Beast
Keichitsu0305
Getchman
Mow123
One-Eye
WhiteHairGirls
farichada
Key
Psycho 101
dtm42

On a tangentially related note: Key, your artistic layout of the bracket gave me a headache synching up my spreadsheets. Also, the shifting of the number of contestants from tournament to tournament mucks up my pre-made stuff (I know that's not really your fault).

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Also, in what I think is a first, we've got a double digit favorite to win the whole thing. You get one guess as to whom.

Based off of the heavy support these two got, it's gotta be either Fakir or Youko....I'm guessing Youko?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Well, it's definitely not who I ended up picking to win Laughing My choices skewed towards what's popular in the mainstream (DBZ, FMA, etc) rather than these other titles that are apparently well regarded around here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Even though I've got her winning the whole thing, I really do hope that Youko is not the winner.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
23(?) (not counting myself, as I made one for fun), it looks like, which would beat the most entrants we've ever had (Best Hero being the previous record with 22).

Wow, knowing this I am very pleased with myself for entering Although, I wish I had given myself a bit more notice.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

23(?) (not counting myself, as I made one for fun), it looks like
You did a minigame yourself? Nice, will you include yourself in the graphs and all that stuff? Since you have so much experience with the minigames I'm really curious as to how you'll do!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

23(?) (not counting myself, as I made one for fun), it looks like
You did a minigame yourself? Nice, will you include yourself in the graphs and all that stuff? Since you have so much experience with the minigames I'm really curious as to how you'll do!

I usually fall in the 4-8 range (the one time I won before I took over the minigame was far and away the lowest winning score of any of the minigames). Probably gonna do worse this time because I'm less familiar with the characters and I rushed my picks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 28 of 28