• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would you guys consider putting a topic on videogames here?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I have been looking around for the past several weeks to talk with people about video games and there is nowhere on here to do that. (as far as I know)

So my question is, is there anywhere to talk about VG or would you guys ever add a new "forum topic" in the general forum section, for us gamers? Becuase I am sure there is more than just me.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:
I have been looking around for the past several weeks to talk with people about video games and there is nowhere on here to do that.

Because you visit the wrong place. Cool I visit games websites too, but I don't discuss anime with other users over those fora.

This "suggestion" has been around for quite a while. Personally, however, I don't see why ANN should divert its resources to games not related to anime and compete with those well-established game websites. For now, games adapted to/from anime could be discussed in the Anime forum. Rob Chase has contributed special reviews on games adapted from anime, and you could discuss over them on the Talkback forum (although they are a bit dated by now). You could also use the chat room to see if there's anyone wants to talk about video games with you.

By all means, this is not a "technical" question at all. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by dormcat on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Thats cool I guess. But what do you mean by competition? I don't think that there would be much competition, it would just be a bonus for the people on here, I can almost guarentee that if you watch anime you play videogames, the two go hand-in-hand in my opinion. But I do, kind of, understand where you are coming from.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:
I don't think that there would be much competition, it would just be a bonus for the people on here, I can almost guarentee that if you watch anime you play videogames, the two go hand-in-hand in my opinion.

Some don't. I have never owned a PS, PS2, PSP, PSX, Sega, Sega Saturn, DreamCast, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, CD-I, PC Engine, GB, GBA, GameCube, DS, Super Nintendo, or even an original FamiCom, in my lifetime. I've played once in a long while at my friends', but that's all. I've been playing with computers for over 22 years, though.

Back to the topic: there are all kinds of anime fans. I believe most anime fans love fancy sports cars. Should we have a forum for automobiles? How about Star Trek? Many manga-ka and animators are die-hard Trekkers and have made cameo appearences of Star Trek characters and starships in their works. Should ANN open a message board for ST as well? I think the answer is quite clear.

I do support having a board for games adapted to/from anime and manga, or even a board for related light novels (such as 12K, SutePri, Kino, FMP, Shana, Ma-no, etc.). Together they have formed a new trend of multi-media franchise in Japan. However, the time is not now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Well if you wanted a trekkie *sp one than you could make a TV&movies forum and a Games Forum. I get burned out only talking about anime, I know this is an anime board but meh...thought I'd bring it up.

Oh and also when I said videogames I meant both computer and console games.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
While I like the idea and am completely in favor of it, I don't know how we would be able to avoid people talking about the games that have nothing do do with anime. I do think video games that can be discussed in the anime forums should be extended to include more games though. There are many games that have nothing to do with anime but definatly have the anime style to them. So many RPG's have SO much in common with anime, maybe opening a forum where only Japanese made games can be discussed? Of course, that would most likely upset a lot of people saying that were being racist and such. If that was the case, wouldn't anime itself be racist? I mean, limiting itself to only Japanese animation. I wish someone would be able to come up with a name for Japanese made video games.

Overall, I think we should have a forum for video games. But I think it would be best to have it limited to only Japanese made video games. I don't know how to go about doing that though without upseting anyone.
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Overall, I think we should have a forum for video games. But I think it would be best to have it limited to only Japanese made video games. I don't know how to go about doing that though without upseting anyone.

Yeah I wouldn't like this, if it was restricted to only japanese games. I would definately be in favor of only being able to talk about RPG's, that would be perfectly ok with me. Hell, thats all I care to talk about. (is that what you meant by japanese, PantsGoblin?) If any games are Japanese it is Role playing games. I don't mind a bit if sports, action, and all other games were left out.

I would just love to talk to people about Shadow Hearts, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy..etc.

I know I could go to another message board but...meh.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

If we did that, half the people on this website wouldn't even know what kind of video games that the Japanese have.

After I went looking around, you could try the evermore forums
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit old, but I couldn't believe that I had not noticed this reply a month ago.

Thanatos01s2 wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't like this, if it was restricted to only japanese games. I would definately be in favor of only being able to talk about RPG's, that would be perfectly ok with me. Hell, thats all I care to talk about. (is that what you meant by japanese, PantsGoblin?) If any games are Japanese it is Role playing games.

Judging from your speech, you are disqualified to participate the Game forum even if ANN has one, in my opinion.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
An anime based forum with a video game forum? That's practically every other anime forum elsewhere. Though, I'm not sure about AnimeonDVD or Animenation. I don't touch either one. However, unlike other anime based forums, this one here is a highly commercialized site. Heck, my main anime forum (one I go to the most) has a Current Events section. Twisted Evil

As for this place... not sure if a Gaming section is needed. What purpose would there for having video game discussion here? Most of it isn't anime related. Naturally, not my place to decide, but that's my 2-cents.

fighterholic wrote:
If we did that, half the people on this website wouldn't even know what kind of video games that the Japanese have.

Let's get some Mario vs Sonic going. That or Smash Bros. Twisted Evil
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this thread was dead and is best left that way. This topic was debated to death recently in this thread here as well if you wish to get up to speed on what was discussed. That thread was locked however and I'm going to go ahead and lock this one as well. For the time being the topic is done, if/when the forum is formally announced we can open the debate again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1