• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament Interest Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Best Love Polygon is awkward and less specific, to the point of potentially being problematic; how do you describe the geometry in something like Urusei Yatsura, for instance?

What? Polygons are no more difficult to judge than triangles; even if they are more complex the base criteria remains the same.

Key wrote:
While it would be more limiting, Best Love Triangle would be tighter and more clearly-definable.

I think it would be too limiting. How many love triangles are there? Enough for 128 solid picks?

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Uh-oh, I think someone needs to start working on the School Rumble Love Tesseract now so it'll be ready in time for nominations.

Some people are way ahead of you.

There's several such charts on Google Image Search, I don't even know if this is the best one.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
A Best Love Triangle Tournament doesn't sound very appealing to me. What makes one triangle better than another? What would we be judging on? I guess one point would be believability, and how truly devoted each of the rivals is to the love interest. But what else?
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
The handling of the relationship between the two sides is an important aspect of love triangles and often its most interesting aspect, because the two sides are often friends to start. Its effect on their mutual acquaintances is equally interesting.

It would certainly be more engaging than if we rewrote much of the information from the best organization tournament, which would likely be the case if we ended up with best leader.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
The handling of the relationship between the two sides is an important aspect of love triangles and often its most interesting aspect, because the two sides are often friends to start. Its effect on their mutual acquaintances is equally interesting.
That's true, it is often the most interesting part. Do they stay friends, or become enemies? Do they actively compete against each other, or do they compete with each other? But whatever direction it takes, one path isn't inherently better than the other, so how would we judge that? We need something quantifiable.
Raftina wrote:
It would certainly be more engaging than if we rewrote much of the information from the best organization tournament, which would likely be the case if we ended up with best leader.
Yes, it might be too soon for a Best Leader tourney, as a lot of the same contestants will be top contenders. Best Love Triangle sounds like it would be a frustrating tournament as there doesn't seem to be much to judge on besides 'this couple is my favorite'.

The ones that sound most interesting to me right now are Best Mentor and Best Child Prodigy.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
A Best Love Triangle Tournament doesn't sound very appealing to me. What makes one triangle better than another? What would we be judging on?

I really wish people would stop using this as an argument against proposed tournaments. I'm pretty sure "What would we judge on? What makes one _____ better than another?" can be applied to every single tournament we've done, and in most cases has been. About the only time it wasn't applicable was for the Most Intelligent tournament, and that was the worst tournament because everyone knew who the final 8 (and each round after) would be.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
A Best Love Triangle Tournament doesn't sound very appealing to me. What makes one triangle better than another? What would we be judging on?

I really wish people would stop using this as an argument against proposed tournaments. I'm pretty sure "What would we judge on? What makes one _____ better than another?" can be applied to every single tournament we've done, and in most cases has been. About the only one that wasn't was the Most Intelligent tournament, and that I believe was the worst of all of them, because everyone knew who the final 8 (and each round after) would be.
Sorry. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I just honestly don't know how this would work. Some love triangles are executed better than others, definitely, but that I can think of, there isn't anything concrete that makes one love triangle better than another. Others are enthusiastic about this so there's something I'm not seeing. I want to see it too.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
The term Love Triangle is often applied to situations that include more than just a true triangle (x love y who loves z who loves x). There would need to be more specific rules around how far you could go out, but I would classify the situation in Ano Matsu as a love triangle, for instance.

I have to agree with dtm42 and say I think you'd be hard pressed to find enough candidates in true love triangles.

As for judging them, I have to agree that you can figure that out pretty easily. I can think of a few ways myself without trying very hard.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
We didn't have a problem judging duos and I'm sure we can work out some criteria to use for judging love triangles.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And it's hardly like this is the first time it's been suggested. It's been mentioned a few times over the years as an option.

I think I was the one who suggested the idea in the past too when I was more active here.

In regards to the issues of not having enough canidates and excluding certain ones because there are more then 3 involved, we could just suggest a preferred 3 and some shows could have multiple entries (unless that's not allowed... been gone for too long.) That process could also help vet out some of the weaker triangles and the ones put together for more comedic reasons and lack overall substance.

As for criteria we can focus on actual conflicts, character development, final pairing, weight in overall storyline, etc. Some polygony setups don't really generate much content outside of that the triangle is there but others draw out a lot from the characters involved. Some conflicts either deepen bonds while others change the character themselves. Others, when you take into account of who ends up with who, can open a character's eyes or in the case of lost cause (where person C didn't have a chance, or in some cases B and C didn't have a chance), generates some drama but also gives those characters a revelation about themselves. Honestly I think that last type could be one of the more interesting.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
An icosahedron consists of many triangles. For example in Toradora we can have a triangle of Ryuji/Taiga/Minori or Ryuji/Taiga/Ami, or Ryuji/Taiga/Yusaku, or even Yusaku/Taiga/Sumire if we stretch it. Doesn't matter that they're all involved together. We pick the most distinctive triangles and judge the relationship between the three people involved disregarding that there are others too. That way there would be more than enough triangles to choose from. That could even work with harems if there are two girls with a more distinctive relationship with the mc or there's an interesting dynamic between the girls as well.

I wouldn't like most moe. It would rely too much on our own subjective feelings towards the character, as in: "She makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside", which means a pure popularity contest. There's already Saimoe for that. I'd much rather see a tournament, where we can base our choices more on what we see, not just how we feel about it. I think it would be more productive and also wouldn't risk being derailed into "This isn't moe" type of discussion.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
If moe is somewhat accepted, we should consider doing a Funniest Character as well. I didn't accept the 'subjective' claim from when it was denied, but I did hold out because there was a Craziest Character tournament not long before then.

If a funny character is subjective, then how about moe? I don't feel moe for Taiga, yet she won a moe competition. If that's not more subjective than a funny character, I wonder what is.

I can agree that it may just be a little too early for another Evil Character tournament, so I'll leave it at that.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Sorry. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I just honestly don't know how this would work. Some love triangles are executed better than others, definitely, but that I can think of, there isn't anything concrete that makes one love triangle better than another. Others are enthusiastic about this so there's something I'm not seeing. I want to see it too.

There are a couple obvious ways one could judge a love triangle from a less subjective standpoint: How integral it is to the plot; how fierce the rivalry is; the complexity of interaction interaction between the points; how well it resolves itself. Personally though, I think I'm just going to go with most interesting, as one of my favorite love triangles is Matsuri-Yorito-Mana from sola, which is perhaps the least competitive romantic conflict ever. spoiler[And then it ends with two of them dead and one mind wiped on account of an outside factor.]
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Personally, not a fan of a best x tournament, and Best Love Triangle is no exception. I think we be better off with a most x tournament. For this specific idea, I think its workable but it may be hard to distinguish a strong love triangle from a weak one. Are we judging based on how complicated the triangle or the overall quality of this confusing situation?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
we should consider doing a Funniest Character as well.

Best Comic Relief has been tossed around a few times before (I actually had to stop and think about whether it had actually been DONE) but never gotten enough votes to actually happen. It is one that I think would definitely be viable as an option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6