• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
prefixes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenpachi dude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to learn the prefixes when you adrest diffrent people. What is the -chan, -nij -oni? When do you use the diffrent sayings and can you use it for people NOT related to your family? Could someone give me a list or something?! (If this post is a little of topic, i'm really sorry!!!)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
Won't go too into detail about what each thing means, but when they are attached to the end of a name, they're suffixes, not prefixes. A suffix in that regard (san, chan, kun whatever) would denote things such as social standing relationship, all of that good stuff.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
Try this Wikipedia article. The usual wiki disclaimers apply...
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
For the most part from what I know: name-san is like saying Mr. Mrs. Ms. While name-sama is like saying the name with a lot of respect for example "the lovable name" ext... name-kun is like a girlfriend talking to her boyfriend with respect and name-chan is vice versa guy talking to girl.

There are a few others but this is what I am going to say for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
First off, prefixes come before (as in preliminary voting, pre-emptive war, pre-mature... Embarassed Embarassed, you get what I'm talking about), suffixes come after.

trackstar1013 wrote:
For the most part from what I know: name-san is like saying Mr. Mrs. Ms. While name-sama is like saying the name with a lot of respect for example "the lovable name" ext... name-kun is like a girlfriend talking to her boyfriend with respect and name-chan is vice versa guy talking to girl.

There are a few others but this is what I am going to say for now.

Check the wiki for a more extensive listing--I will say that -kun is usually used for equal/lower status males (relative to the speaker), and it's not limited to girlfriend -> boyfriend; it's also used between guys, or teacher -> student, boss -> employee. On rare occasions, I've seen -kun used for girls, but that's almost always in a work or "evil organization" environment.

Family terms can be used for people outside the speaker's family: big brother/sister (oniisan/oneesan) for young people (~20s), aunt/uncle (obasan/ojisan) for middle-aged people, and grandmother/grandfather (obaasan/ojiisan, careful on those long vowels) for older people. For instance, Jim from Outlaw Star calls Gene "aniki," which is a more yakuza-esque/tough-guy variant of "older brother." There are many jokes on this system, where (for instance) a character will call a woman "obasan" and she'll say "Hey, don't call me that, I'm still young!", even when a familial relationship actually does exist (as with Shouko in Angelic Layer telling Misaki to call her Miss Shouko (Shouko-san) rather than Aunt Shouko (Shouko-obasan)).

But beyond the suffixes, you also have to pay attention to how characters are being addressed overall--in general, using one of the many words for "you" is pretty casual/possibly rude, using last name (which can also be accompanied by -san or -sama) is more formal than first name, and when more formality is required, people will use titles in place of names, like President, Director, Chairman, -sensei, -senpai, Principal, etc. [/i]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
On rare occasions, I've seen -kun used for girls, but that's almost always in a work or "evil organization" environment.

Employer / supervisor / teacher can call a female employee / subordinate / student with -kun suffix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kenpachi dude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
Sorry about the prefix, I meant SUFfix. English is my second language! Now I understand it! Thank you all!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1