• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Qwaser of Stigmata Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Eh, I might give this show a try if it's on the Anime Network site or ends up on IFC or something, but really no other way.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Regardless of your stance on the series, I think we can all agree that Sentai needs to stop only releasing blu-rays if they're going to dub a series. By now, all current series should be releasing in blu. It's sad to think that you can download a copy with better video quality then you can buy and fan service heavy series like this are definitely about the image on the screen.

It was already mentioned a few pages back that the Japanese Blu-Rays for this one were upscales and not particularly good ones, either. Are you so keen on the "everything has to be Blu-Ray" principle that you'll settle for that without complaint?

Besides, this series, as flashy as it was, was hardly a stunning visual triumph. Some series just don't gain enough visually going to Blu-Ray for it to be worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Definitely not my thing, but I don't think I have any issues here... I just kinda ignore these things, so I don't really know what's so offensive in this series. Pass on by, pass on by.

Now, if it was that boob-mutilation anime that was released last year (?)... then we might need to have a discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
... The specific traits they have really are unique to anime. The situational comedy and ecchi scenes and the fictitious fetish portrayals, as well the body proportions and gravity defying boobs, etc are not to be found anywhere else.

Don't you find this, if you hold it true, to be at least a little depressing? If you want to hold anime as somehow unique or remarkable, I would think that it would be for something a teensy bit nobler. I'll be honest and admit that it frustrates me a lot to see people who cling furiously to anime for how well it helps them get that basic jollies. I've never been able to really comprehend the perspective of the crowd who seems to think that anime is an ends in itself, especially because what they emphasize about anime feels like reducing it to so much passing effluvia.

willag wrote:
Now, if it was that boob-mutilation anime that was released last year (?)... then we might need to have a discussion.

That was Manyū Hiken-chō.

I hate myself a little for remembering that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Decent manga, crap anime. I mean REALLY crap anime. And Katja/Hana is really the best part of the whole series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
configspace wrote:
... The specific traits they have really are unique to anime. The situational comedy and ecchi scenes and the fictitious fetish portrayals, as well the body proportions and gravity defying boobs, etc are not to be found anywhere else.

Don't you find this, if you hold it true, to be at least a little depressing? If you want to hold anime as somehow unique or remarkable, I would think that it would be for something a teensy bit nobler. I'll be honest and admit that it frustrates me a lot to see people who cling furiously to anime for how well it helps them get that basic jollies. I've never been able to really comprehend the perspective of the crowd who seems to think that anime is an ends in itself, especially because what they emphasize about anime feels like reducing it to so much passing effluvia.

willag wrote:

That was Manyū Hiken-chō.

I hate myself a little for remembering that.

God I hate this smug, ignorant attitude. It is obviously impossible to get anyone in the anti-fan service moral brigade to acknowledge that fan service is an element, not a be-all-and-end-all. They are so busy congratulating themselves on their "superiority" that they can't recognize that many fanservice shows offer the same kind of light, escapist fare that tends to be the staple of non-fanservice light comedy and action shows. Well, I suppose not much oxygen gets to your brain after you've shoved your head that far up your posterior.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
God I hate this smug...attitude.

Quote:
Well, I suppose not much oxygen gets to your brain after you've shoved your head that far up your posterior.

O, the irony.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
God I hate this smug...attitude.

Quote:
Well, I suppose not much oxygen gets to your brain after you've shoved your head that far up your posterior.

O, the irony.

Oh look the self-described 16-year-old diaper fetishist author wanders in to deliver yet another useless post. Awesome.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Pointing out blatant hypocrisy is now making a useless post? I never guessed.

I really should be writing instead of wasting my time on the internet now.

EDIT: Oh look, 1337 posts. How funny.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Seeing all of these posts for Qwaser makes me really wish Lotte no Omocha would get licensed. Seeing all the posts responding to the synopsis about how a 10 year old needs to drink semen to survive would be a riot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing hypocritical about my stance. I'm pointing out that the hero biscuit types who don't like fanservice, don't watch fanservice and think they actually know anything about why other people watch fanservice insist on coming into threads like this one and sharing their non-knowledge. I have zero interest in BL ... but you'll never find me jumping into a BL thread and opining on why those who do watch it and do know stuff about it are wrong to do so. Anyway, based on you previous posts I don't really expect you can understand even such a simple concept.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Seeing all of these posts for Qwaser makes me really wish Lotte no Omocha would get licensed. Seeing all the posts responding to the synopsis about how a 10 year old needs to drink semen to survive would be a riot.

Eh, I don't really mind that show as much, though I've never seen it. My friend has read the manga, though, and he doesn't really find it to be that bad.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Eh, I don't really mind that show as much, though I've never seen it. My friend has read the manga, though, and he doesn't really find it to be that bad.

Well yeah, it actually turns out to be kinda tame, but the synopsis made people rage so hard when it was coming out. It was pretty misleading though since she never did end up drinking any semen.

Heres the original synopsis from Wikipedia:

"In the medieval fantasy world of Álfheimr, succubus princess Astarotte Ygvar, the first princess of the kingdom of Ygvarland (ユグヴァルランド Yuguvarurando?), has just reached the age of 10. 10 years old is a special age for a young succubus, as it is when they are traditionally expected to form a male harem.

In order to maintain their body and preserve their beautiful appearance, Succubi who have undergone puberty must consume male essence, much like how a vampire must consume blood. Initially a mere kiss will suffice, however as Succubi mature into young adults they eventually need to consume a liquid called "Sauzfryma," better known as semen, to sustain themselves. The harems they form ensure a steady and safe supply of the liquid."
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46, please don't try to... uh... help. You're not helping. Not helping at all. You're too incendiary and flatly moralistic. If you're going to make moral assertions against something, if you don't go past the adjectives, it's not going to get much further than fueling fires that don't need it.

Blood- wrote:
God I hate this smug, ignorant attitude. It is obviously impossible to get anyone in the anti-fan service moral brigade to acknowledge that fan service is an element, not a be-all-and-end-all. They are so busy congratulating themselves on their "superiority" that they can't recognize that many fanservice shows offer the same kind of light, escapist fare that tends to be the staple of non-fanservice light comedy and action shows. Well, I suppose not much oxygen gets to your brain after you've shoved your head that far up your posterior.

Do you really believe that I had no intent other than insincere self-aggrandization? Do you really think so badly of me? I can’t deny that it stung some. I wanted to be sincere. I am genuinely confused why things like this encourage such intense, furious defenses and aggressive, concerted accusations of self-righteousness and arrogance. I had, perhaps incredibly, wanted to raise an objection without appearing overtly or intentionally disdainful. I might have failed just because I’m bad at it and, frankly, so unable to understand that it was impossible. Yet I wonder if there’s any point to trying or even a way to succeed. This kind of discussion, of all the damned things, seems to have gotten to the point that it is by default intensely acrimonious and as though every word is really a shot right into somebody’s heart. It feels as though it’s gotten so militantly partisan and polarized that there’s no other things to express than furious hatred or exaggerated agreement, manifestations of tribalism and flight-or-fight urges.

I can’t do any good by denying that I don’t like series like Qwaser of the Stigmata or that I would prefer that we were without them, if had I a choice that I clearly don’t and should have, but it isn’t liking it or series like it that frustrated me. What provoked me, so to speak, was the way that Configspace seemed to be asserting that this kind of exaggerated, fetishistic prurience is what makes anime special and distinctive. He made it out as though the point of it is women with anatomy that would make even premium blow-up dolls feel inadequate getting stripped or having their skirts flipped and hapless milquetoasts tossed into their cleavage or crotch. I don’t go for that, but it’s trying to claim that kind of thing as what makes this stuff worthwhile that troubles me. It feels like reducing the contributions of American cuisine to hot pockets or the joy of sex to cheap, sloppy blowjobs. Some people clearly enjoy those thing, although I have more trouble understanding why anybody would proudly eat a hot pocket than proudly watch Qwaser of the Stigmata, but to say that those are the defining virtues of either seems both wrong and perhaps even a little insulting.

When somebody makes a claim like that, I tend to feel as though they have a deep, primal desire for these things, but have internalized to some extent a sense that they are low-status. So they try to flip the game by appropriating the rhetoric of the critics as though the form is what matters.

Saying that you like Qwaser of the Stigmata is a statement that I’ll probably never subscribe to, but can’t really object to, but claiming that it represents what’s unique about anime seems like a terrible mistake that I can’t accept.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
@ SA - well, I admit I clumsily conflated your statements with others I've seen that tend towards the: "eh, why don't you fanservice lovers admit that all you care about is the tits" nonsense. As a fanservice lover, it's not that I find that belief insulting as much as I find it completely idiotic. I genuinely don't understand why anyone would believe that the prime interest in fanservice is jollies-getting when there is so much more compelling, readily-accessible material for those of us who are seeking a little ::polite cough:: "me time."

I weary of this same stupidity getting flouted time and time again, by the Usual Suspects. It's dispiriting to know that if I stepped into a time machine and came out 20 years in the future at ANN, this same nonsense would be swishing around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 19