• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Card Captor Sakura

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpggamer77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
I'm considering picking up this series (the subbed version not the cut for American tv dub) I was wondering if anyone could give there thoughts on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
... Do you like MAGIC GIRL or CLAMP?

That's usually the first step...

All in all, it's a great series... if you're looking for fun, CCS is the right place to get it from
rpggamer77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of other clamp stuff and I enjoy the occasional magical girl anime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote
Card Captor Sakura is a good series. While the target audience is definitely the younger female set (I'd guess at somewhere between 6 and 12 years old) there is plenty there for older audiences to enjoy as well.

I also personally enjoy the fact that Sakura is a magical girl without a glowy, glittery transformation sequence. Sure, those sequences are classic mahou shoujo fare, but it's nice to see variation.

Now that the series is being released is lower-priced box sets I would definitely recommend getting it. I know it's on my list.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
As long as you have a good tolerance/appreciation for cute, you should be fine.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
If you like ultra-cute magical girl anime series and are a big fan of Clamp, then by all means do check out Cardcaptor Sakura because it won't disappoint you. I think it's the best of their works and it's my all-time personal favorite anime. I think it puts a unique spin on the magical girl genre with the whole Clow Card capturing theme of the series, but Cardcaptor Sakura isn't just about capturing magical cards. It's about relationships and the daily lives of Sakura and her friends, too. There are many subplots within the main plot, such as the love triangle between Sakura, Shaoran, and Yukito, and the ever interesting feud between the Daidouji family and the Kinomoto family. Cardcaptor Sakura is also one of those anime series where you can't help but to like everybody in the show. There are some interesting plot twists along the way too, so despite the somewhat formulaic approach Cardcaptor Sakura takes at first, it always finds new ways to surprise you. Plus, Cardcaptor Sakura has some really gorgeous eye candy animation, so if you're a big fan of Clamp's art, you should also be prepared for a visual feasts for the eyes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Make sure your sweet tooth is in working order, because CCS is very, very saccharine cute. I, however, like it that way. It is magical girl without the over-reliance on stock footage of transformations and attack sequences to fill up the time. There are also plenty of interesting/unconventional relationships going on; I'm on episode 51, and it looks like the relationship angle is about to get even stranger.

But in general, CCS is full of CLAMP goodness, so if Clamp+Magical Girls are your thing, it's worth dropping $170-$200 on 70 episodes. Heck, I dropped about that much on ROD TV+OVA (29 eps), so CCS looks like a pretty good value by comparison.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
rpggamer77 wrote:
I'm a huge fan of other clamp stuff and I enjoy the occasional magical girl anime

That pretty much answers your question then Razz

ANYWAY, make sure you get BOTH movies while you're at it...

Movie 1 goes after episode 35

and movie 2 goes after the last episode
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
ANYWAY, make sure you get BOTH movies while you're at it...

Very true, I went straight from episodes 35 to 36 before watching the first movie and thought, "Wait a minute, I'm missing several months of time here!"
rpggamer77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. When I pick it up I'll be sure to get the movies with it.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But in general, CCS is full of CLAMP goodness, so if Clamp+Magical Girls are your thing, it's worth dropping $170-$200 on 70 episodes. Heck, I dropped about that much on ROD TV+OVA (29 eps), so CCS looks like a pretty good value by comparison.

I also bought the Clow Book set (ep.1-35), but I feel kind of bad for the people who had to buy the disks indivitually since they didn't take out any extras on the clow set and they had to pay about twice as much for the indivitual ones.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

I also bought the Clow Book set (ep.1-35), but I feel kind of bad for the people who had to buy the disks indivitually since they didn't take out any extras on the clow set and they had to pay about twice as much for the indivitual ones.
Surprised There are exras in he cardcaptorsakura dvds i have been renting up to the third season and every dvd almost has nothing except art photos and texless op and ending's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
coolGAL wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Surprised There are exras in he cardcaptorsakura dvds i have been renting up to the third season and every dvd almost has nothing except art photos and texless op and ending's.

Reread his post, he never said extras were taken out, removed, included, whatever.

Also, the people shouldn't feel bad, because they got it several years before those who got the boxset, and they contributed to the initial push of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1