• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
what with the "Z"?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
what is the signifance of using Z to mark shows, like "Mazinger Z", "Mai Z Hime", etc.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
what is the signifance of using Z to mark shows, like "Mazinger Z", "Mai Z Hime", etc.

Looks cool. But that would be my guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Because its cool Cool . Same goes for the letter X. Sonic X, X, Gundam X etc.
PsYcho_X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I always wondered that as well, like in dragonball 'Z', i even remember the narrator guy saying "the z fighters" which made me wonder even more....possibilities? I don't know, but perhaps soon the secret shall be released upon the world Shocked
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Im going to say it goes good with action, when you think of action what kind of letter do you think of? Just like when you feel pain you think of red, or when you feel relaxed you think of blue or white.

Also another thing that gets to me is the amount of people that pronounce it "zee" in Canada. "Zee" is the americanized pronouciation of it, the origional way of saying it is "zed". Just my thought's.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
Also another thing that gets to me is the amount of people that pronounce it "zee" in Canada. "Zee" is the americanized pronouciation of it, the origional way of saying it is "zed". Just my thought's.

Well, if you think about it, a lot of shows are either made for Americans, or have an American-audience in mind, so regardless of it being an "incorrect" spelling, it's correct for the inteded target audience.

Anyway yeah, Z is just a rebrand of a franchise in order to show that is is the same, but different.. ya know?
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Efan wrote:

Well, if you think about it, a lot of shows are either made for Americans, or have an American-audience in mind, so regardless of it being an "incorrect" spelling, it's correct for the inteded target audience.

Yes i can understand for naming shows or cars or anything like that, but i was talking about in normal conversations, people still say it as "zee" it kind of gets on my nerves, i always correct them and tell them to say "zed" but they say "zee" anyways. grrr...
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
the one that really annoys me is why people insist on saying 'AY' in syead of 'AH'

seriously its not a tom-ay-to it is a tom-ah-to.

its not a v-ay-se its a v-ah-se.

my last name is said L-ah-st not L-ay-st!
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
the one that really annoys me is why people insist on saying 'AY' in syead of 'AH'

Tomato can be said either way as well as vase and basil. For instace my english teacher for grade 8 was from the U.K and he pronouces it to-mah-to, yet when people say to-may-to he doesn't say anything.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:

Lets call the whole thing off.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:

Yes i can understand for naming shows or cars or anything like that, but i was talking about in normal conversations, people still say it as "zee" it kind of gets on my nerves, i always correct them and tell them to say "zed" but they say "zee" anyways. grrr...

And both are correct pronunciations, as is ezed, izzard, zede, and zeta. It's a global civilization about there, and words are not confined to certain countries (for the most part) any longer, although I do understand what you are saying.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
In the case for Mazinger Z, the "Z" is short for "Zetto":

Majingā Zetto, the Japanese name for Mazinger Z.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
In the case for Mazinger Z, the "Z" is short for "Zetto":

Majingā Zetto, the Japanese name for Mazinger Z.

It's not short for "zetto," that's just how the Z is pronounced. It's the same in a number of other shows, including Dragon Ball Z. I don't know for certain (hopefully someone who does can step in and clarify), but I've always assumed this to be a minor mangling of the word "zed," which, as has been mentioned previously in this thread, is an alternate pronunciation of the name of the letter Z that is used in many English-speaking countries around the world.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I short, since Z is the last letter of the alphabet, it's often used to mean "ultimate", just like omega is used to mean "ultimate" in english because it's the last letter of the greek alphabet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
In short, since Z is the last letter of the alphabet, it's often used to mean "ultimate", just like omega is used to mean "ultimate" in english because it's the last letter of the greek alphabet.

This answer makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Dan! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2