• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best non buzzed shows

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
The following shows cannot be named. Anything on Adult Swim, Toonami, anything by Abe, Evangelion or anything that has rated it's own personal thread within the last 4 months. What I want want shows that people don't know too much about but are good. This means maybe anything from Media Blasters except for Twelve Kingdoms, Kenshin and maybe Otogi Zoshi.

I want the best show you've seen that nobody knows anything about.

One of My Examples:

Shrine of the Morning Mist: About girls recruited to deal with the supernatural threat to a Shinto Shrine, a school, the world in general. It's more of a magical girl show but with a lot of humor because the characters are mostly incompetant and thier cooler, generally smarter rivals who spoiler[wish to return the the world to nothingness.] Fortunately, there are enough almost incompetent good guys to hold the bad guys in check.
What's fun about this show is the little things, spoiler[seeing the girls stuff themselves with Potato Chips in costume as they plan thier next move, the fact that all but one of the girls has really lame names for thier attacks like "big girl spear", (which they comment on,) and that one girl is exchanging advice on a web forum with one of the other side (without either one knowing it). Having, a clumsy "Sailor Moon" type as a villan. ]

Other thought, a non buzzed "thinker" like Kino's Journey have a better chance of becoming well known then a non-thinker. I think it is because the we're a little starved on the smart, subtle shows in this country.

All the Best,

Nani?
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
You need to be a little less specific, I have no idea what Adult Swim and Toonami show being European and I'm quite sure I'm not alone.
therax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:48 am Reply with quote
Why your two examples are under hyped:
Quote:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

Shrine of the Morning Mist better known as Asagiri no Miko (TV)
Name changes can have a devistating effect on hype.

Kino's Journey no group ever subbed this title, ADV locked up the rights just before any fansubs where to start. Despite all of ADVs efforts to try and advertise, this title will go down in obsurity.

Now for my example:

Dear Boys (TV)
marketed as Hoop Days even I, haveing enjoyed the show keep forgetting to pick up this title due to the name change (*sigh*)

Just goes to show you that Hype is fickle
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
therax wrote:

Kino's Journey no group ever subbed this title, ADV locked up the rights just before any fansubs where to start. Despite all of ADVs efforts to try and advertise, this title will go down in obsurity.

Now for my example:

Dear Boys (TV)
marketed as Hoop Days even I, haveing enjoyed the show keep forgetting to pick up this title due to the name change (*sigh*)

Just goes to show you that Hype is fickle

Actually, I looked at Kino's Journey and did not see it as an obscure show but one that was had built up a bit of buzz despite low hype originally. I'd say a show that has gone much further on that same track from low hype to high hype is Twelve Kingdoms.

But Hoop Days is a show an example of what I'm talking about. Could you tell us a bit about it.

Iemander wrote:
You need to be a little less specific, I have no idea what Adult Swim and Toonami show being European and I'm quite sure I'm not alone.

As for shows that might be included is anything you don't hear many people talking about.The opposite of shows known to everybody (if only by reputation) such as Haibane, Cowboy Beebop, Dragonball, Naruto.

All the Best,

Nani?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
As for shows that might be included is anything you don't hear many people talking about.The opposite of shows known to everybody (if only by reputation) such as Haibane, Cowboy Beebop, Dragonball, Naruto.

I expected Haibane with much less audiences (I once thought it is highly acclaimed but has only a few devoted fans, sort of like YKK), yet to my surprise it has been watched by 1094 ANNers and ranked #61.

There are only 838 out of 3580 titles that have been watched by over 100 ANNers, and only 218 titles have been watched by over 500. We still have lots of titles to discuss with. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MrsCeleste

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I dont know if it is popular or not but I had the Heroic Legend of Araslon on video when I was a kid and I remember that being really good. Very Happy
Iemander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how it was recieved in the rest of the world, but Teknoman was a local hit here in Belgium where it's heralded as a classic among practically everyone who has ever seen it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

There are only 838 out of 3580 titles that have been watched by over 100 ANNers, and only 218 titles have been watched by over 500. We still have lots of titles to discuss with. Wink

Well, I would only use that as a general idea of how many may or may not have watched something. I, for instance, haven't update my anime in about a year, but I've watched on the order of 40-50 series since then.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
The most underrated anime I can think of is mindgame. At the end you feel like your mind has been blown! It's an excellent anime and a breath of fresh air when it comes to things you have never seen before. It's kind of hard to give a synopsis because its so far out there… Out of the 54 ANNers that have seen it, the majority rated it a masterpiece; so I think in it self makes it worth watching. Although if it was licensed a lot more people would have probably seen it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
I don't know how it was recieved in the rest of the world, but Teknoman was a local hit here in Belgium where it's heralded as a classic among practically everyone who has ever seen it.

They showed it here in the U.S. on Saturday mornings, but I think it was cancelled and I don't remember if they even got to finish the entire thing.

I liked what I saw on TV, and years later I found Tekkaman Blade. I never realized how much they changed it from the original, so I can at least say I feel this series in particular is underrated.

The story is described by others as being a little cliche, since it's a bit of a remake from the orginal Space Knight Tekkaman in the 70s. However, I found the entire series to be very enjoyable.

The plot was intersting enough, as I never really saw something like that in anime. The characters had a good mix of development making them neither too shallow nor over-the-top. And while the animation is a bit dated, the music was pretty well composed by one favorites, Kaoru Wada.

I'm a little more use to his feudal Japan styles of Ninja Scroll and Inu Yasha, so it was nice to hear him do something a little more contemporary (and in outer space Anime smallmouth).

I really wish the rights would transfer to a company that could actually give this title a proper presentation and distribute it on DVD. But until then, I'll just keep my fingers crossed Anime dazed.
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
It was a hit for the people that had UPN here in the States a number of years back. Heck, I have a VHS copies of some of the episodes somewhere around the house.

Rumic World series,4 OVAs that are based on Rumiko short stories, has gotten very little buzz of late, mostly due to it never coming over the DVD side.

ADD ON: Didn't mean to step on Tony K feet. I didn't see his post until now.

Last edited by Ataru on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Well this isn't a buzzed show but I found it to be very enjoyable. That show would happen to be Mizuiro 2003 (2 OVAS). The artwork, story and music is what made this short series really great for me. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for something with a good story and music or is looking for something about childhood friendships and promises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Figure 17!

My God, this series has one of the most excellent character developments I have ever seen in an anime series. Not mention that I grew an attachment with Tsubasa and Hikaru (though more specifically Tsubasa). The monster battles was also pretty good, and it's pretty amazing how the producers kept the battles and school life seperated; it's seriously a rare thing to happen.

I think I'm going to start nagging my anime club to play this since it's seriously underrated.
Gauss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Figure 17!

I wholeheartedly agree with your choice. It's a great little gem that I feel can appeal to anyone. Besides the characters it had an interesting setting (rural Hokkaido) and lovely music. About the only flaws I could find was that the episodes could feel a bit long at 45 minutes each, and that the seiryu for Tsubasa couldn't cry convincingly (which took the edge off some emotional moments).

Another great "unknown" with similar pacing and interesting character exploration is Twin Spica (Futatsu no Spica). When I was watching the show it took some episodes before I realised the anime was not a story of kids getting through spaceschool against all odds. It's all about the characters themselves and how they are tied to the rocket accident that killed the protagonist's mom (which is why so many of the episodes start off with a flashback to the disaster).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
... and that the seiryu for Tsubasa couldn't cry convincingly (which took the edge off some emotional moments).

Is that so? Of course I only watched the English dubbed version and thought Kari Whalgren was convincing enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3