• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about possible future Sekirei season(s).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I just want to understand a thing or two:

The manga currently has twelve released volumes. The majority of this material has so far been adapted into two seasons (or series, whatever; the Japanese like to rename their shows between seasons for some reason).

I have not read the manga, but considering how the second season ended, it seems obvious that it should continue.

My questions are: how many chapters/volumes did each season cover, roughly? Subtracting that material, are we left with enough released material for them to start thinking about a third season yet? Does it seem feasible that they would begin airing or at least announcing such a thing in July, considering that the previous two both aired from then until September?

[EDIT: Sorry to edit your title again, but long-winded titles irk me Razz. -TK]
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The way the anime did it was kind of out of order from the manga. The first season was roughly the first 50 chapters, and the second season took elements from the next 50 chapters. Currently the manga is at about chapter 125. But as I said, the anime was kind of out of order/did things quite differently. Basically, there was a lot of material before chapter 100 that the anime did not touch.

spoiler[
*The entire third stage of the competition, which is only now drawing to a close in the manga with the fourth battle;
*The full history of the Sekirei, Ashikabi, and their origins (particularly in regard to Miya) is finally revealed;
*The jinki (rewards in the third stage), and the consequences of what happens when all 8 are brought together;
*Yukari and Shiina being captured and held hostage by Higa, in much the same way that Uzume and Chiho were, and their subsequent escape;
*Minaka being revealed as the father of Minato and Yukari;
*Seo's ability to tap into and weaken the powers of the Sekirei being explored further]

And then there are also all of the little extra chapters at the end of each volume, which will probably end up being made into an OVA as happened in the second season (young Tsukiumi's caretaker would be particularly amusing to see).

With all of this, there is probably at least enough printed material already for 8 or 9 episodes, the majority of a season. Depending on how they stretch it/what filler they create to try and rectify the plotholes created in the second season (if they indeed do so), they can easily make a full season of 12 episodes. By the time the next three or four chapters are published, they may even have enough material for that season without needing to resort to filler.

TL:DR - yes, there is more than enough material for a third season to be feasible.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification. I'll be on the lookout then. Smile
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
For what it is worth, in the director commentary for the second season, Funimation said that a third season was on the way. However, nothing has been announced in Japan yet, so it's very much wait-and-see at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1