• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quick Evangelion question about eva anatomy

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Umm, i've only seen the first 4 eps of neon genesis evangelion (hated the first 10 minutes cause I was watching in english, then changed to japaneese with subs and loved the rest), but I have a question. After the angel blasted the eva, why did it spray blood?
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Evas spoiler[are made from Adam the first angel if i'm correct (correct me if i'm wrong on this). So even though they are mechas they are also made from living material as well. So to put it bluntly: Evas are man made Angels that are enslaved to fight against the Angels.]

Ehh heh heh Laughing . Edited. Sorry!

- IchigoK90

Last edited by IchigoK90 on Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Evas are made from Adam the first angel if i'm correct (correct me if i'm wrong on this). So even though they are mechas they are also made from living material as well. So to put it bluntly: Evas are man made Angels that are enslaved to fight against the Angels.

Spoilerdoiler

Anyway, just a comment, wouldn't it have been a better idea to watch the remainder of the episodes in order to find out?
axion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
Wait until you get closer to the end, it will become clear. While we're on the subject, defining Evas as 'mechs' is incorrect. 'Mechs', as the name implies, are mechanically-based non-living robots. The Evas are more appropriately called 'humanoids' or 'biomechanical angels', they are living creatures that are fused with some mechanical parts, mostly this is just to maintain the belief that they are robots, which for the viewers is simply a slap in the face for thinking that the show is 'just another giant robot anime', and for the characters like Misato, it is a deception that is key to the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Assassin_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
Umm, i've only seen the first 4 eps of neon genesis evangelion (hated the first 10 minutes cause I was watching in english, then changed to japaneese with subs and loved the rest), but I have a question. After the angel blasted the eva, why did it spray blood?

I think the Evas are ment to be semi-organic, and also semi-sentient/aware (at the end of the first episode, shinjis eva went "berserk" by itself and started attacking the angel, this would point towards it having a seperate consciousness, other than that of the pilot - even if it was shinji that went berserk, and he was neurotically influenced by the eva, then what provided the influence?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Assassin_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Evas spoiler[are made from Adam the first angel if i'm correct (correct me if i'm wrong on this). So even though they are mechas they are also made from living material as well. So to put it bluntly: Evas are man made Angels that are enslaved to fight against the Angels.]

- IchigoK90

That wood kinda explain why only the Evas can fight the angels, allthogh I've not seen up to any explanation of this yet - I've only seen the first 8 episodes myself. I think at some point, Kaji did mention Adams DNA at some point, but with the show being based largely on biblical stuff, and since a caracter called Adam hadnt actaully been introduced yet, I assumed he ment Adam the first Human (according to the bible)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAlmightyMe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Assassin_ wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

- IchigoK90

That wood kinda explain why only the Evas can fight the angels, allthogh I've not seen up to any explanation of this yet - I've only seen the first 8 episodes myself. I think at some point, Kaji did mention Adams DNA at some point, but with the show being based largely on biblical stuff, and since a caracter called Adam hadnt actaully been introduced yet, I assumed he ment Adam the first Human (according to the bible)

That is actually not too far off once you get further into the series it will become more clear. I believe by episode 8 it's explained that conventional weapons can not breach an Angel's AT field; sort of a force field, and I shall leave it at that in order to not spoil it for you.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
TheAlmightyMe wrote:
Assassin_ wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

- IchigoK90

That is actually not too far off once you get further into the series it will become more clear. I believe by episode 8 it's explained that conventional weapons can not breach an Angel's AT field; sort of a force field, and I shall leave it at that in order to not spoil it for you.

Yeh that rings a bell, but how come Eva wepons can? In fact, dont the Evas carry conventional chain guns? Im sure I've seen Shinji boasting one at leest once...
TheAlmightyMe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Assassin_ wrote:
TheAlmightyMe wrote:
Assassin_ wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

- IchigoK90

Yeh that rings a bell, but how come Eva wepons can? In fact, don't the Evas carry conventional chain guns? Im sure I've seen Shinji boasting one at leest once...

If you watch close, you will not see the Eva's conventional weapons break through an Angels AT field. The only weapons that do are the knife and the energy rifle that was used in their sniping manuver. These two weapons however are very different than the other weapons used.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
TheAlmightyMe wrote:
Assassin_ wrote:
TheAlmightyMe wrote:
Assassin_ wrote:
IchigoK90 wrote:

- IchigoK90

Yeh that rings a bell, but how come Eva wepons can? In fact, don't the Evas carry conventional chain guns? Im sure I've seen Shinji boasting one at leest once...

If you watch close, you will not see the Eva's conventional weapons break through an Angels AT field. The only weapons that do are the knife and the energy rifle that was used in their sniping manuver. These two weapons however are very different than the other weapons used.

Im sure the chain gun was on at leest one occaision able to burst throogh the AT feeld... And if its useless agenst Angels, why mount it on an anti-Angel weapon? Razz
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Im sure the chain gun was on at leest one occaision able to burst throogh the AT feeld... And if its useless agenst Angels, why mount it on an anti-Angel weapon? Razz

I don't think they can break through the AT-field, but once the eva breaks the at field they might need more firepower to destroy the angel itself? (Just a guess, don't rant on me like always Anime cry)
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
If you must know, here's the basic gist of why Evas have blood, summed up from explanation in the show: spoiler[The Evas are alive, the "mecha" part is actually just armor. That's why in episode two, when the "head" falls off, it reveals a biological head with an actual eyeball.]

And if you really want to spoil the show for yourself: spoiler[I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU STOP READING NOW. SERIOUSLY, JUST WATCH THE SHOW, IT'LL BE EXPLAINED SOON. YOU'RE STILL READING? FINE, BUT IT'S A RATHER BIG SPOILER, AND YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
The armor isn't there to protect the Evas, it's there to contain them, to allow NERV to control their power, otherwise, they will go out of control and probably act alongside the angels, though that's never spelled out for you.]

I'm sincerely hoping you didn't read that unless you've already seen the show or you're just dying to know because you think you don't understand something.
Assassin_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
Quote:

I don't think they can break through the AT-field, but once the eva breaks the at field they might need more firepower to destroy the angel itself? (Just a guess, don't rant on me like always Anime cry)

Yeh thats probly it...

And - sos if peeple think I've been rantin, haven't ment to come across that way Anime cry
perro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
thats right they always are (I think) afraid of the evas going beserk it's like they barley have any idea how they're own creations work.
rpggamer77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here since I love this series with a passion spoiler[ EVAs are actually made from Lilith not Adam (Kaworu pointed out that it was Lilith and not Adam) Lilith was the 2nd Angel and though the EVAs looks like mecha it is actually just armor to keep the Angel's DNA in check and let the children control/pilot it (According to Ritsuko). So since Lilith is an Angel and the Angel's bleed or at least squirt massive amounts of body fluids when they get torn apart it stands to reason the the EVAs could bleed.] Sorry that was such a long explanation but I thought I'd be thorough
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1