• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
John (Williams) and Yoko (Kanno)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Laughing, that's hilarious. Is any of this actually true? Well, if it is or isn't, I really like the respect that's depicted, as I'm a fan of both these composers. Thanks, Aaron Smile.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I've always been more interested in hearing what would come out if they were to collaborate on a soundtrack. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see people appreciate the three greatest composers of the 20th century, John Williams, Yoko Kanno, and Ennio Morrocone. Funny stuff man, I thought I was the only one with a Yoko Kanno shrine.... Embarassed

Edit-- Noubu Umeatsu should be in there to! Wink

Last edited by msi435 on Thu May 19, 2005 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Who's Ennio Morrocone?

Besides, I prefer to buy Country music CD's over soundtracks, but I do buy an occasional soundtrack CD.

I do have Yoko Ishida's Sweets CD and Yoko Kanno's Wolf's Rain soundtrack CD however.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Who's Ennio Morrocone?

He's the man behind the music for the good, the bad, the ugly, Fistfull of dollars, for a few dollars more, and much much more. He is brilliant! If you haven't seen any of those movies you should go and rent them, there classics!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
I saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly nearly two decades ago, but never seen Fistfull of Dollars.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Other classic films that his music is featured in is Once Upon a Time in America and Once Upon a Time in the West (that harmonica!). Basically all of Sergio Leone's classic films Ennio has done the music for it. His music has been featured in kill bill and many other films... check out all the movies/tv shows his music has been in Here. Over 500 titles!! He is amazing!
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
...the three greatest composers of the 20th century, John Williams, Yoko Kanno, and Ennio Morrocone.

Well, that certainly puts Stravinsky, Stockhausen, Copland, Duke Ellington etc. in their places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the cartoon's a joke... in the end the narrator addresses Williams as "alternate-universe John Williams," and all the stuff about trashing hotel rooms and such is a spoof of bad-boy rock stars.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Edit-- Noubu Umeatsu should be in there to! Wink

o_x; Nobuo Uematsu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msi435

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
msi435 wrote:
...the three greatest composers of the 20th century, John Williams, Yoko Kanno, and Ennio Morrocone.

Well, that certainly puts Stravinsky, Stockhausen, Copland, Duke Ellington etc. in their places.

Ah, that's just my crazy opinion! Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Aaron White wrote:
msi435 wrote:

Ah, that's just my crazy opinion! Very Happy

It's a rather dismissive one at that. Wink

Perhaps they would be better slated as the best composers of the modern era who are still amongst the living?

Of course that still leaves the issue of dealing with Stockhausen, but at least it narrows things down a bit. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me for bringing this up, but a bootleg CD? I really don't think that John Williams would be illegally downloading music.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Chiroptera Rex wrote:
Forgive me for bringing this up, but a bootleg CD? I really don't think that John Williams would be illegally downloading music.

I thought it was an obvious joke, considering the "Alternate-universe John Williams", but maybe that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2