• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Yuki Kajiura's music being overused?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midori kou

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Some of the anime series (Tsubasa, Loveless and Erementar Gerad) shown recently have been using music composed my Kajiura. The question is should she have composed for a series when here music sometimes doesn't suit the series. Post your opinions.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
What do you mean by "doesn't suit the series?" The producers approached her in the first place because they obviously like her style and other works.

The Encylopedia only has her listed for 22 credits. That's really not a whole lot considering only about half of them are actual music productions while the rest are just openings or endings.

Yoko Kanno is credited for 31, so that would make her more "overused" than Kajiura? Joe Hisaishi has 20, so I suppose he's almost as "overused" as Kajiura too, right?

Like you asked for opinions, I'm sure the producers that hire her have a positive opinion of their own and hired her because they wanted to, unless it might be you that just doesn't like her anymore Anime smallmouth..
midori kou

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
I don't dislike her music. I just dislike that her music is being used all at once and it seems like there is no variation between them. Kinda makes music for those particular series less unique. Do you get what I'm saying?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
I understand what you're saying. It's kind of like how too much of a good thing at one time can get tiresome or so overused that people will start to label it as being "common" and eventually that "good thing" will lose some of its initial value.

Although, I personally am not the type that gets tired of those things over a long period of time. I guess I'm either really tolerant or just too energetic for my own good Anime dazed.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
perhaps there is not much variation due to her style. I think it would be worse if there were several composers being used and they all had the same style. She doesn't need to change what works and is being requested plus if the directors did not think the music fit they would not have used it.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
perhaps there is not much variation due to her style.

I sort of agree; her style isn't as much "unique" as "gimmicky" - the first time you hear it, it's really something, but by the fifth or so, the whole pretentious strings+European-ish chanting bit really starts feeling annoying. Especially when you realize that she usually just sticks to one or two distinctive themes or motifs per series, that are then modified somewhat in damn near every single episode.

Compare, for example, to Evangelion, where there are literally dozens of individual and unique motifs used for various situations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I can see what you mean by "overusing" music, but the directors have their reasons for choosing her. The only annoyance I might have with watching anime with her music is that a scene in one series might remind me of one in another because of the music. I really can't have my attention wander to other anime or I have to rewind.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
I sort of agree; her style isn't as much "unique" as "gimmicky" - the first time you hear it, it's really something, but by the fifth or so, the whole pretentious strings+European-ish chanting bit really starts feeling annoying. Especially when you realize that she usually just sticks to one or two distinctive themes or motifs per series, that are then modified somewhat in damn near every single episode.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I both love and hate her work. It does all bleed together, to the point where you're questioning whether a particular piece came from .hack, Mai-HiME or Aquarion Age. However, when she does nail a piece, it's AWESOME.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
i used to love Yuki Kajiura, but now i'm starting to notice more and more as i listen to her that she maybe she really isn't all that talented. it seems like all her music sounds exactly the same. there's no variation of style, and she never experiments with different ideas. she just keeps using the exact same formula over and over. don't get me wrong the formula works, but it's starting to get really old.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun May 15, 2005 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

I completely agree. I like her music, but after hearing the Noir, .hack, Madlax and Aquarion Age soundtracks, I don't feel like I'm getting anything new. They could almost all be from the same show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
I agree that her work for Tsubasa and Erementar Gerad sound very similiar to her past works. Though the music in Loveless doesn't have that same feel, maybe because it's a more subdued style than what she usually composes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1