• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost In The Shell... I got lost man

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
In the last eposode there were 4 things i dident get. It got me really confused.

The first on was in the New Section 9, when Tougasi was talking to everyone after 3 monthes. I was tring to get what Bauto was saying but it was tough to get.

Another would be where Motoko was talking to Aoi(spelling). It was hard to understand what they were getting at. Like all the quotes and why they were in a Libary. I tried to listen to the conversation, but that got covfusing.

The 3rd would be why dident Aoi(spelling) Turn down Aramaki? I would have jumped at the shot to work with Section 9.

The last would be how did every one get free? And How in the world did Motoko survive that high powerd sniper shot? Man that got me even more lost.

Twilight Dragon
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
This is for question 4 spoiler[she was controling that body by remote like how she controled some andriod maid earlyer in the series.]
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:

The first on was in the New Section 9, when Tougasi was talking to everyone after 3 monthes. I was tring to get what Bauto was saying but it was tough to get.

was it 3 MONTHS or 6 MONTHS? I'm pretty sure it was six months... but then now that you've said 3, I have no idea... can someone else confirm this?

anyway...

Someone at AoD was able to explain the logic of this to me *thank god* so I'll pass it on
spoiler[
Batou was discussing WHY section 9 was sacrificed in the first place... anyway, to them, it seemed like ARAMAKI was simply selling them out for his own skin *since he was not arrested and wasn't implicated in the laughing man case...*

laughing man case? Well, what Aramaki DID was to make it look like section 9 were the ones responsible for the laughing man case... anyway, through this, they were able to implicate what YAKUSHIMA had done... *er... Yakushima is that guy with a mole on his face...*

so in a way, you can say that Aramaki framed him, but he was guilty anyway, so it's totally okay

Since Section 9's existence was leaked, Aramaki had no choice but to make an agreement with the politicans *in the legislative branch... through the PRIME MINISTER*

that he would not do anything until after the ELECTIONS and only use the police to make his moves

because if he just TOLD everyone about Yakushima *and his blackmail*

during the elections *using section 9*, this is a considerably bad thing, and public opinion may be all over the place and then the rest of the government would be in a mess over the whole thing

so if he would make it look like the people from the Legislative house were heroes, they would give their full support to give YAKUSHIMA *the guy with the mole* the SHAFT... YES!

so after the elections, and when the military dropped their guard after presumably "destroying" section 9, the people from the legislative branch were able to make their moves

Anyway, they were able to recover from there arrest... for possibly multiple reasons... to the very least, I can just say that they were pardoned by the PM... what's most important is that they would survive, so that DATA could be faked and that they could, on record, still be either CONVICTED or DEAD

as for TOGUSA, Aramaki made damn sure to take care of him since he was not only a married man, but he was injured... also, him being married, it would be harder to fudge the data since it might involve his family

and so they go back to the organization that doesn't exist, at all... ]

errr... sorry if it was long, but that's how it is... I guess

Twilight Dragon wrote:

Another would be where Motoko was talking to Aoi(spelling). It was hard to understand what they were getting at. Like all the quotes and why they were in a Libary. I tried to listen to the conversation, but that got covfusing.

I think the gist of it was that they were discussing the copycat phenomenon known as "Stand Alone Complex"

also, they were talking about Aoi's reasons for doing what he did

okay... let's start
spoiler[
first off, AOI himself isn’t really “The laughing man” we think he is, the truth is, he only found out about the faulty nature of micro machines through someone else’s words

It was this BLACKMAIL letter directed to Serano, that contained a comparative study of how MICRO MACHINES are almost completely useless against Cyber brain what-you-ma-call-it… yes even until now, I don’t know how to spell it… anyway, it’s useless in comparison to the MURAI VACCINE * which actually works *

This brings us to a crucial point * I thought so anyway *

Because you see, had the MURAI VACCINE been approved by the fictional medical council set up by Yakushima, it would’ve undermined A LOT of research that had to do with MICRO MACHINES… and in the context of the series, MICRO MACHINES are the very basis of cyber brain technology… so, I have to ask you a question, was this wrong doing that the MICRO MACHINE corporations justified? Were the lives of the people that contracted the decease sacrificed for good reason?

… ANYWAY, you can say that the person who sent that BLACKMAIL letter is the real “laughing man” … in a way * let me elaborate further *

You see, what Aoi really wanted to do is tell the world about the faulty nature of the MICRO MACHINES

He wanted to seek out justice since no one else knew and that the people involved were too full of themselves to reveal the truth… but of course, the process of doing this is indeed quite meticulous and needed the assistance of someone that was involved in the whole thing *SERANO*

So after BRAIN DIVING into Serano, he held him hostage and only agreed to let him go if he would tell the truth about MICRO MACHINES… Aoi actually, would’ve simply settled for him telling the medical council to at least APPROVE the Murai vaccine until MICRO MACHINES are proven to actually work… but, SERANO had no such power… not only that, IMAKURUSU *the old guy that was killed in that hotel episode*

Was actually JEALOUS of MURAI for discovering the cure for a decease he * Imakurusu * spent years trying to find a cure for

Anyway, Aoi eventually decided to let Serano go when he agreed to tell the world about the micro machines * that and there was a TV crew outside the coffee place *

So after he let his hack go, SERANO decided to change his mind and run away without saying ANYTHING *what a bastard*

But he didn’t expect AOI to have a gun in his pocket… and THERE, you have your “laughing man” incident

Anyway, the character of the “laughing man” was pretty much made up by the politicians that wanted to blackmail the large micro machine corporations

In the time that SERANO disappeared, they made it look like AOI demanded a large ransom for his return * which he did not *

And the terrorist events that followed after that, all cooked up by Yakushima so that he could manipulate stocks and as a bonus, when the government decided to inject money into the corporations, he was able to swoop down and collect the money injected into SERANO… and… that’s a whole lot of money

Pissed off after hearing on the news that he was being considered a crook, Aoi decided to just disappear from the world and abandon his intentions since he failed miserably at what he was trying to do

So that’s the thing, the LAUGHING MAN is pretty much just a long set of copies, it’s a real character, but then at the same time, not real…
It’s a quirky little sociological phenomenon in which even after the ORIGINAL is long gone, it still produces ENDLESS copies…

AOI really only did ONE incident, and it was SO grand that people were completely entranced by his talents as a hacked *sort of how a BOOK author is recognized simply because he doesn’t put out a lot of work to begin with*

but then what followed afterwards was a bunch of copies… this is pretty much symbolized in the fact that a bunch of people kept using the laughing man symbol trying to emulate a character whose real intentions went UNKNOWN for the longest time… so people kept plugging it their own identity into the symbol… from Yakushima’s real intentions, to the public, to the copycats involved in the assassination attempt

so after all this, it’s sort of weird to discover that AOI himself is just a copycat after all
]

anyway… that’s sort of the gist of it

Twilight Dragon wrote:

spoiler[
The 3rd would be why dident Aoi(spelling) Turn down Aramaki? I would have jumped at the shot to work with Section 9.

The last would be how did every one get free? And How in the world did Motoko survive that high powerd sniper shot? Man that got me even more lost.
]

spoiler[
AOI didn’t want to join simply because he doesn’t know how to be a team player… in fact, when he went up against the injustice of the world, he did it alone… that’s really about it

How did everyone get free? I explained that earlier, but there could be more reasons…

And MOTOKO didn’t die since she was using a remote controlled body *otherwise known as a DECOT in the GITS manga*

But in doing so, one wonders how it is actually possible to travel the sea of information as a free roaming ghost without losing all coherency of who you are… but a part of the solution came to Kusanagi thanks to the tachikomas...
]

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that is my completely revised take on the series, hopefully it’s been useful to you... took like an hour to write Laughing

[edit - spoiler tags added -b]
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
That's about as complete a summary as anyone could ever wish, so everyone review the facts and get ready for 2nd Gig. There wil be a test on this.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
GET THE BEER AND SOFTDRINKS OUT!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Cool

man, september is gonna pwnzors...

I think the first DVD does come out before it starts airing on CN though... man, I need all of SAC first... gotta find money...
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
Oh man thatks. Ihat helps alot. You kinda remind me of the Major. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1