• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
hi i just started watching anime got any suggestions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime_manga

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote
i just started to get into anime this year. i like yu-yu hakasho, ruroni kenshin, full metal alchemist, and ghost in the shell. i do plan on watching samurai champloo, paranoia agent, s-CRY-ed, flcl, trigun, and inyuasha soon. (sorry if i misspelled anything) any way i was just wondering what anime do you guys recomend? i like action manga but i'm willing to watch anything.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
Well, you didn't mention Cowboy Bebop. In my mind, if you are into action animes no self-respecting anime fan should NOT watch Cowboy Bebop at least once.

In that same line of thought, it probably wouldn't hurt to watch Wolf's Rain just so you can say you've seen it.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
msi435

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote
It all depends what your into. I used to be a HARDCORE ACTION anime guy when I first started, but now I'm more into drama. Just start out watching everything you can until you find your own favorite genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
You can read our favorites thread to see what are our favorites and why to start from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
First, I'd advise you to keep your mind open to new stuff until you get a feel of what you like/hate. Second, Outlaw Star has a decent amount of action; If you like Trigun I think you may like it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Suggestion:

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN! IT'S STILL EARLY, IT'S NOT TOO LATE!!

*cough*

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dagwood

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
Emerje: Laughing!

I would suggest Last Exile, it has great animation and the action scenes are really fun.

Banner of the Stars, when it picks up after the first few ep., Shocked wow!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aokage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:25 am Reply with quote
You might as well go through the cliche list first

Dragon Ball Z
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha
Ruroni Kenshin
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Devil Man
The Guyver
Ranma 1/2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Initial D
Berserk
Azumanga Daioh

After making it through at least some of those...you'll have acquired a taste for what you like and dislike. I suggest at least giving some attention to Shonen and Shojo (spelling) anime. Shonen=boys Shojo=love. Those are two of the most popular genres of anime/manga outside of giant mecha action and fanservice galore...
swee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
hey hey.. i recommend Bleach and Naruto.. real action packed.. Very Happy
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
I suggest at least giving some attention to Shonen and Shojo (spelling) anime. Shonen=boys Shojo=love. Those are two of the most popular genres of anime/manga outside of giant mecha action and fanservice galore...

I thought shoujo meant girl
Shoujo: A style of artwork and story created for girls. Characterized by plots that focus on emotion and relationships, and art that tends toward the florid, with lanky characters and rather effeminite (but always attractive) men. Mostly popular with teenagers in Japan, most shoujo-style work has not spread widely, but it does occasionally gain recognition outside Japan (some examples are Revolutionary Girl Utena and X). The most common uses are "shoujo manga", litterally meaning "girls' comics", and "shoujo anime" meaning "girls' animation." Also romanized as "shojo" (actually a different word in Japanese).
http://animeworld.com/glossary.html
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Its all About 3 Amaziong animes That i Think that every one should at least see, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genisis Evangelion, and Full Metal Panic!

Rent them buy them what ever just give thme a try!

P.S. Be prepared to study majior world religions, Take Psych Classes in College and a Lift time of speculation on the ending of Neon Genisis Evangelion.

-Curtis
Sharpe

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Don't miss last exile, beserk, and X.
Aokage

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh shoujo. I knew I had mispelled the word. But yeah...technically shoujo is for women, but in general, I would say that shoujo is more about love than about being strictly for girls. I mean this stuff isn't as feminine as the stuff they show on Lifetime or something. A lot of the shoujo stories in anime and manga, are really funny, like Chobits, Sakura Diaries, His and Her Circumstances etc etc.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Aokage wrote:
A lot of the shoujo stories in anime and manga, are really funny, like Chobits, Sakura Diaries, His and Her Circumstances etc etc.

Only Kare Kano can be classified as typically shoujo. Chobits has way too many fan services for male, and U-jin (original creator of Sakura Diaries) is a well-known male-oriented (男性向) erotic manga-ka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2