• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DVD picture quality

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netmyster5

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Anyone notice a difference in the picture quality on Anime dvd's bought from different sources? Say a dvd from best-buy as opposed to a dvd bought from e-bay? How about a difference in quality between u.s. releases box sets and japanese released box sets? I have some of both and I swear some of my stuff is better quality than others. Any input or knowlege would be great. I would like to try and buy the best quality Anime I can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
THere are factors to take into consideration, such as the age of the show, the source material, what is and isn't provided, if remastering is possible, and what masters they can afford. So it'd be moreso of a case by case basis. Generally DVDs from japan are better quality as they can work with original masters, but this isn't always the case.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote
netmyster5 wrote:
Anyone notice a difference in the picture quality on Anime dvd's bought from different sources? Say a dvd from best-buy as opposed to a dvd bought from e-bay? How about a difference in quality between u.s. releases box sets and japanese released box sets? I have some of both and I swear some of my stuff is better quality than others. Any input or knowlege would be great. I would like to try and buy the best quality Anime I can.

I'm guessing that the stuff that you've gotten from eBay are bootlegs. They're boxsets with 3 discs for a whole 26 episode series, right? Check out this thread on spotting bootlegs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I'm guessing that the stuff that you've gotten from eBay are bootlegs. They're boxsets with 3 discs for a whole 26 episode series, right? Check out this thread on spotting bootlegs.

Er, yeah, most people aren't willing to lay down the $1000+ dollars for an actual complete Japanese box set, you certainly don't see too many (any?) of those on ebay.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
netmyster5

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips. I want Anime of the highest quality, but at the same time I just don't have $100s of dollars to spend on the stuff. I'll check out the stuff on bootlegs and try not to support that industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1