• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese folklore/mythology anime!?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingo

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote
Woooow..

Okay so I just watched a really really cool anime called Otogizoushi!

Its one of does anime that takes place in fedural japan, with samurai and all that. Its really great, but at the beginning of the second season it totally changes. The series is consisted of a bunch of short stories im affraid:(

But im looking for more of that sort of stuff.

I really think that japanese mythology is neat. Are there any anime you would recommend with Tengu and Oni and all that sort of stuff? violant slashy samurais and stuff like that?

I recently sat down and saw Kenshin: The wandere(just the first episode I think) and I was not to impressed. I just thought it would be more violant or serious.

I have gotten Beserk recommended by many, so I think I will buy that soon, but I hear that it is more medievil, rather than japanese folklore and legends and stuff.

.... Sigh.. What im trying to say is..... Any really cool samurai/ninja flicks you would recommend?

Ninja Scroll(have only seen the movie) was really cool. Samurai Champloo was really funny(I love this show) and both had some really cool action in them.

While a bit of, I also enjoyed Samurai 7. Strangely I have never seen Akira Kurosawas original version, but I think I will:D
CrimsonPh33r

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
You might want to try Bleach actually. Some cool action scenes and some mix with Japanese culture. And funny.
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
Fedural Japan, I know you meant Feudal but.....I can't help but picture FBI agents in black suits and mirrorshades running in, guns blazing, into a Tokugawa era Japanese Castle.

Loved OtogiZoshi also. Wish Media Balsters had an advertising budget so that more people would know about shows like this.

More Chinese based but very good is Twelve Kingdoms. I think parts you might find slow.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal-- This sound right up your alley. It has a very different feel then Kenshin, much darker and bloodier.

Princess Mononoke-- Japanese Myth at its best.The Emishi people that Ashitaka is a member is part of the Pre-Japanese inhabitants of Japan.

Great manga that is not out in the U.S. with an OK OAV that is out is Eight Clouds Rising: It goes back and forth between an modern character and his assosiates who are reincarnations of the Japanese Kami and probable historical figure, Susano-o and his friends, lovers and enemies in a Highlander like, flashback style. You might really enjoy the sacrifice the Susano-o character has to make in the OAV.
Lets just say it's something Minamoto no Hikaru of Otogi Zoshi would understand.

X: The TV series--lots of Japanese myth/religion thrown into and used in this modern set series. However, this has a feudal feel in many ways because of the clan/shrine/monastary based backgrounds of many of the characters, particularly how it manifests in the actions of Kamui's relations.This also seems like one you would love.
Someone in CLAMP (wish I knew who) really knows this type of stuff.

All the Best,

Nani?
msi435

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
I would suggest kenshin... although the first few episodes don't suggest a rich historical background. As you work your way through the series it becomes much more in-depth with real evens that happened in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
I would suggest kenshin... although the first few episodes don't suggest a rich historical background. As you work your way through the series it becomes much more in-depth with real evens that happened in Japan.

True, yet at the same time it still has it's fair of comedy and silliness. Some episodes can be quite serious, but at other times it can be completely slapstick. I just don't want Pingo to get the wrong impression...
Hiphop Samurai

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Feudal Japan?

I recommend Princess Mononoke. Kind of like the director’s made up Japanese “Myth.”
Also Samurai X. Its different from Rurouni Kenshin. This is much darker and has some pretty cool fight scenes in it.
Maybe Samurai Deeper Kyo. Never watched it but my friend loves it.
Peace Maker.
Hi no Tori. Has different stories of the “Fire Bird.” It’s really good. But in each episode the characters and the time period changes.
Wrath of the Ninja. Yeah, this movie is based in Feudal Japan. You can check it out but I don’t recommend it. Its the WORST ANIME I have ever seen. It has Mexican music in the back ground for crying out loud!

Berserk is a very good series, but it has nothing to do with Feudal Japan. The series has more to do with knights and has more of an Midevil European look to it.
jagozon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
Yes, i would also recommend Rurouni Kenshin,
I love this series.Peace Maker is alot like Rurouni Kenshin,but I like Kenshin better.
Samurai Deeper Kyo:would not recommend,i couldnt even finish the series, its really repetitive.
Bleach has nothing to do with Feudal Japan,but i would recommend this series to anybody,its just that good. Smile
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
More Chinese based but very good is Twelve Kingdoms. I think parts you might find slow.

I have just started watching this series, but I was going to mention it here too. I've only seen the first five episodes, but I really like the story so far. It can be slow, and it does span ten DVDs, but I think that it will definitely be worth it in the end. Plus, it's full of mythology in just the first five episodes.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:48 am Reply with quote
You mention Tengu and Oni. I'm not hugely into samurai stuff, but I'm personally really interested in mythology and folklore, so I'll touch on that subject.

I own a little OAV called Eight Clouds Rising that deals a lot with Japanese mythology and Shinto sects. It's okay...haven't finished watching it, actually. I should pull it out again. You can get it for real cheap at Best Buy.

If you're interested in feudal folklore and myths...there honestly isn't enough good anime that caters to this catagory, really. While many anime touch on the subject, they stray pretty far from traditional folklore. Inu Yasha comes to mind...meh, it's a so-so show. Or there are many anime - someone mentioned X - that just have a tiny bit of traditional elements thrown to the side of the actual plot.

The Twelve Kingdoms rocks my socks. :)

Also, I recommend the Onmyoji live-action Japanese films. It's right up your alley. There's a manga and novel series as well, but they've yet to be translated. If you're into buying tankubon though, then go for it. You might like the Tale of Genji tankubon too, but that deals moreso with romance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
pingo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys!Smile

Otogizoushi seems losely based on a legend of a near god like Samurai called Raikoh and his 4 captains(Tsuna was one of does I belive). in the end of the 12th century.

I heard somewhere that there was an anime based on Minamoto Yoshitsune, which I think could turn into a great story; http://www.samurai-archives.com/yoshitsune.html .

I forgot to say that I have seen Mononoke-Hime, and its bloddy amazing:) I really really love that movie. I hope that Hayao Miyazaki, will make another of does cool action movies, because it was really cool.

I dont understand why the japanese have not made more Anime with that theme, when it is such a cool history. Seriously... What on earth is more cool than samurai and ninjas and that sort of stuff?Smile

I really dig all does myths and legends:D

thanks allot for your reply guys. I think I will go buy Kenshin. So there are 4 seasons(with 26 episodes in each), a fully featured film and 4 OVA?

Wow thats allot. I have seen now to episode 10 over at a friends house and im still a little "Meh" on the serious side of things. the plot seems a bit simplistic, but also very appealing and straight forward for kids. Kind of like Pokemon?

But what is this Samurai X Kenshin thingy?
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
You mention Tengu and Oni. I'm not hugely into samurai stuff, but I'm personally really interested in mythology and folklore, so I'll touch on that subject.

If you're interested in feudal folklore and myths...there honestly isn't enough good anime that caters to this catagory, really. While many anime touch on the subject, they stray pretty far from traditional folklore.

I've wondered whether this is a case of the more "realistic" folklore not being exported because it touches on "religion" and is either A) too controvertial for more "conservative" parents and/or touches on concepts Japanese may be familar with but which westerners would have to have "explained" and thus parallels the lack of liscensed sports anime due to the non or even anti-jock western anime fans? or B)These stories are not "modern" enough and the Japanese themselves who discout them or privately slightly embarassed by thier own lack of knowledge or C) a combination of both?

Also,

pingo wrote:
Otogizoushi seems losely based on a legend of a near god like Samurai called Raikoh and his 4 captains(Tsuna was one of does I belive). in the end of the 12th century.

I heard somewhere that there was an anime based on Minamoto Yoshitsune, which I think could turn into a great story;

Otogi Zoshi is set in the Heian era, from about 900 to 1185. in which the imperial court still ruled, though the Emperor was usually controlled by a regent.
It was also a time when non-Japanese, Ainu and related groups (like the "emishi" people) still controlled northern Honshu as far south as Modern Tokyo. These are the "Tsuchimono" in Otogi Zoshi, though that term is older (refering to ancient Izumo) and is about as polite as calling an Indian a squaw or savage or a black a [slur]. The paler skin you see as you go north in Japan is directly atributable to ancestry from these people.

Because these groups were a threat and the Imperial army wasn't very good, groups of settlers set up local miltia, obstensively under imperial control but fairly independent. These groups eventually became the first samurai.
Minnamoto Raikou was one of these. He did have four retainers, Watanabe no Tsuna, Usui no Sadamitsu, Urabe no Suetake, Sakata no Kintoki. However, this took place in the 10th (970's) century. In a way, these stories are kind of like imagineing the stories of American frontiersmen at a 1000 yrs distance.

His decendants were Minamoto Yoritomo, the first Shogun and his brother Minamoto Yoshitsume, who was both more popular and a better general and hence a threat to be eliminated by his brother. this took place about 200 years later, in the 12th century, (1180's and 90's).

All the Best,

Nani?
akitainu

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Although set in modern times, Blue Seed deals extensively with Japanese mythology.
Kisaki

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I really like Mugen Densetsu Takamagahara. It's a manga that was never animated, but it's really good. It talks a lot about Japanese Mythology and the legendary dream world of Takamagahara, which is connected to Nakatsukuni (Earth) by dreams. It also ties into some Shinto stuff (or at least I think it's Shinto).

Last edited by Kisaki on Tue May 10, 2005 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
philg

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo has quite a lot of those myths. It has in one episode the myth of the tengu, it also has lots of issues, conspiracies and going-ons in the feudal time. Also the main characters are samurai kick-ass characters, so of course you'd like it.
Rurouni Kenshin is another one you might like as people have already said. Peacemaker also discusses what you said.
And Ninja Scroll if you're looking for more super-being samurai, that was a totally awesome anime nobody can miss, so check that out!
Aokage

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote
The wonderful dynamic to Japanese anime, is that unlike western cartoons that are either all serious or all goofy...anime seems to blend in the amazing, with the true. I find that most anime or manga that you read, are either focused on Japanese history and folklore, or make various references to Japanese history and folklore. Anyways, the list of anime and manga you could get into is long

Ruroni Kenshin: A Meiji era ronin who refuses to kill unless he has to...

Samurai Deeper Kyo: Post Sekigahara Japan. A traveling medicine peddler holds within him two personalities. One is his harmless self, Kyoshior Mibu. The other half of his soul, is the merciless sword master, "Demon Eyes" Kyo. If you want hyper violence, then you will find it in Samurai Deeper Kyo. This guy cuts down people like a lawn mower does grass

Samurai Champloo: Three constantly starving friends embark on a quest to find the samurai who smells of sunflowers. Think Cowboy Bebop, but replace the jazz music with hip hop, and replace the western theme, with a samurai theme

Berserk: I saw you mention this one earlier. My suggestion is that you take on everybody's advice. Ninja and Samurai aside, the European setting of Berserk shouldn't matter. This anime is gory, has deep character development, witty humor and a story that will leave you truly hanging in suspense...

Naruto: I'm not sure if this was brought up already. It isn't traditional ninja affair...but this is easily one of the best Ninja related anime out there

Akakage (Red Shadow): This isn't hyper violent nor is it an anime. But Red Shadow is one of the best ninja movies around. It is mostly a comedic look at ninja's. But there is a serious plot and very well done action scenes, which remain consistent and frequent

Samurai Fiction: Tokyo Shock is responsible for brining this one out, just like they did with Akakage. This movie essentially follows around a ronin who steals an antique sword from a village. The son of the daimyo (I believe) of the village, decides to chase down the supposed theif, in order to prove himself. Some what funny...but mostly a serious samurai movie

Versus: Gore, action and more gore. What happens when some unlucky criminals stumble on to one of the gates to hell...well...pick up this movie and find out. Not really Samurai...but it involves sword play as well as gun play. That is a hard combination to resist
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2