• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I can't read.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
So, I bought the Rurouni Kenshin shirt that's in the link today. There's something in kanji on the front and I would like to know what it means so I don't look ignorant when people ask me what it means although it probably is something that is simple and I'll feel stupid for not knowing what it is in the first place.

http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.asp?LS=0&ITEM=214450

So yeah, thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sacchan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
流浪人 It says "ruronin." Or maybe it's meant to be "ruroni" since it's Kenshin.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks sacchan! So it basically means rurouni like "wanderer" and "vagabond." That's cool Very Happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:47 am Reply with quote
Interestingly enough, the "rounin" part of that is the same "rounin" used to describe people like Keitaro from Love Hina who graduate HS but haven't passed a college entrance exam. I would say that it ends with "nin," since that's a super-common kanji that means "person," but I guess it lost a syllabic "n" when it became part of the title.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Thanks sacchan! So it basically means rurouni like "wanderer" and "vagabond." That's cool Very Happy.
I'd answer with the definition, but be careful you don't say rurouni, because that isn't a word.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
slickwataris wrote:
I'd answer with the definition, but be careful you don't say rurouni, because that isn't a word.

I didn't know that. Does it mean the same thing though?
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Watsuki gave it the same meaning "wanderer" when he made up the word. (If I ever get anything published, I'll be sure to make up a word too. Wink )
dancetokill

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
hmm i guess i dont really know much about it, but going off of what others said and my basically nonexistent knowledge, if your shirt does in fact say "ronin" then it's probably referring to masterless samurai, though kenshin i guess does have a master..but i guess that's sort of complicated. like i said though, i'm not sure if i know exactly what i'm talking about. either way, kenshin is sweet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1