• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eva Platinum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
I was finaly able to sit down and watch the first five episodes of the platinum edition, and I must say that I was schocked. It was the brightest most colorful, thing i have ever seen. It seeemed like they added acouple of things to the show as well.spoiler[Like when Shinji asks how his father burned his hands in episode 4 and Ritsuko tells him and he replies "Bullshit"] that was not in the origional and I really liked it. Any way i just was interested in some other peoples opinions on the show feel free to pot it hear thankx!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
The Platinum editions are a major improvement in terms of audio and video quality. I was always hesitant in buying the series the first time, and thank goodness.

I've seen all the old copies a couples of times through and I'm just glad that the darker colors and shaky screen are gone now. Not to mention they changed the subtitle font and rewrote some of the translations. I couldn't stand their old font, it was really big and skinny and took up a lot of the screen, kudos for fixing it.

And of course there's the addition of a 5.1 Dolby Digital track for both the English and Japanese versions. The sound is very crisp and it's nice to see a series with so many sound affects being presented in a more theatrical-esque fashion (I wish more of ADV's releases had a 5.1 Japanese track..).
Chiroptera Rex
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Sousuke Segari wrote:
I was finaly able to sit down and watch the first five episodes of the platinum edition, and I must say that I was schocked. It was the brightest most colorful, thing i have ever seen. It seeemed like they added acouple of things to the show as well.spoiler[Like when Shinji asks how his father burned his hands in episode 4 and Ritsuko tells him and he replies "Bullshit"] that was not in the origional and I really liked it. Any way i just was interested in some other peoples opinions on the show feel free to pot it hear thankx!

I don't have the Platinums yet (still thinking about it). The explanation of spoiler[Gendo's burned hands is in episode 5]. I do find it amazing though that Shinji would reply like that. Why would they change it from spoiler["My father did that?" to "Bullshit"]? That makes no sense. It may relate a bit on his spoiler[comments to Rei about his father later, on how he can't trust him], but still I don't like it.

I want to buy the Platinums to get rid of the "Evangelion Jitter." I think it's worth it, but I'll still wait as there are other animes I'm collecting right now.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
(I wish more of ADV's releases had a 5.1 Japanese track..).

That's not their fault Tony. Unfortunately, most Japanese tracks are still DD 2.0 or Linear PCM 2-channel, not DD 5.1 There's not much ADV or any other company can do about it depending on whether they want to remix the tracks, and have been given the proper masters to do so.

Chiroptera Rex wrote:

I don't have the Platinums yet (still thinking about it). The explanation of spoiler[Gendo's burned hands is in episode 5]. I do find it amazing though that Shinji would reply like that. Why would they change it from spoiler["My father did that?" to "Bullshit"]? That makes no sense.

They would do it because it's the accurate translation. (and if you think that's out of character for Shinji, look no farther then EoE, where his language is worse yet) Kudos to Sousuke in finding the one redubbed line in the series (sans next ep previews of course)
Sousuke Segari

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes I thought that was more like shinji. In the comentary Matt Greenfeild said they changed one line but he would not say what is was I think that that was it unless i missed something else. any way I am so glad that my faviorite show has been revived and I give them a good hand for doing an exelent jod.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed (sorry, unintenional pun) feelings about the 5.1 soundtrack. Yes the sound quality itself is better than the original stereo, but I think the remixing has been done very crudely in the episodes I've watched so far. It seems to be from the "here's a sound, what speaker shall I put it through?" school of mixing, rather than making any attempt to create a coherent soundstage for each scene.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I have mixed (sorry, unintenional pun) feelings about the 5.1 soundtrack.

Anime smile It took me a second to get that.

Unfortunately, my TV has *one* speaker, so I don't even get the satisfaction of a stereo mix. Oh well. Someday I'll be able to afford a nice entertainment system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Unfortunately, my TV has *one* speaker, so I don't even get the satisfaction of a stereo mix. Oh well. Someday I'll be able to afford a nice entertainment system.

Yours too, huh? Smile

I've been with my little Mono TV for around 8 years now, and even though my computer can playback DVDs, I still like watching them on my little TV.

Back on topic, I was glad to finally pick up the last volume of Platinum over the weekend, making my Eva collection now complete. Smile
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
That's not their fault Tony. Unfortunately, most Japanese tracks are still DD 2.0 or Linear PCM 2-channel, not DD 5.1 There's not much ADV or any other company can do about it depending on whether they want to remix the tracks, and have been given the proper masters to do so.

True. I was just wondering if companies actually had the authority to go back and ask for remixes and the like, but it'd probably add a whole lot more expense to the licensing bill Anime smallmouth...
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Yours too, huh? Smile

I've been with my little Mono TV for around 8 years now, and even though my computer can playback DVDs, I still like watching them on my little TV.

Back on topic, I was glad to finally pick up the last volume of Platinum over the weekend, making my Eva collection now complete. Smile

If you don't have End of Evangelion, then it isn't complete.
Ulthrion

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I never bought the original before, but platinum isn't released in Europe. However, there is a somewhat nearby store that occasionally has imported DVD's and they had EVA Platinum. Initially I didn't buy them because I wasn't sure if they would get any other DVD's apart form the first, but apparently they did.

This afternoon I was there again, and they were selling everything at 50% discount, so I got 2 of the DVD's (2 and 3). I have yet to see them though.

Now all I need is some other store that imports the EVA platinums.

What I really wanted to say though, was that the DVD's look pretty cool, and a lot better than the older versions. Unfortunately I can't yet comment on the actual content of the DVD's as I haven't yet had the time to watch them, but I'm looking forward to it Smile.

Farseer Ulthrion
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ulthrion wrote:
I never bought the original before, but platinum isn't released in Europe.

Volumes 1 and 2 are out on R2 DVD, volume 3 is out next month. If you can't get them locally why not try Amazon UK?
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Yours too, huh? Smile

I have End of Evangelion (and Death and Rebirth as well). Very Happy
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:
Cloe wrote:

Yours too, huh? Smile

As far as R1 releases go, you can't really count the End of Eva release because it fairly poor.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I have the first 2 volumes and I like them a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5