• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
rate an anime series: 12 kingdoms

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdohg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
discuss
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't say that this thread really has a point.

But as for the series, I've only seen 3 dvds, but I love it so far, it's amazing and underated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Um, jimdohg, this kind of thread-starting post usually results in a locked thread. It's also very vague. That being said, let's see if we can salvage it. . .

Twelve Kingdoms (aka Juuni Kokki) is a 45-episode fantasy series set in a world heavily adapted from Chinese mythology and the Chinese Zodiac. It is one of the prettiest anime series you'll see anywhere, with gorgeous character designs and fabulous costuming. The four story arcs covered during the series run either focus on, or in some way involve, Youko, a red-haired high school girl (red hair being very unusual in Japan - that's significant) who gets carried off with some friends to the world of Twelve Kingdoms, where she undergoes a subtle physical transformation. While there she must initially struggle to survive while trying to figure out why she was brought there and what her place is in the world, and once she finds out, she must struggle to accept and deal with the grand destiny laid out before her and the enormous responsibility that her destiny entails. It is, in the end, very much a story about Youko growing up and learning to be her own woman, since she had previously defined herself by doing what others expected of her so that she would be liked.

If you're looking for a light-hearted or heavily action-oriented series then you may be disappointed with 12 Kingdoms; while it does have a fair amount of action (especially in the early going), it is not an action series at heart, so there are substantial lulls, and it takes itself (mostly) seriously. The great attraction of the series is that it is the best fantasy series ever at establishing and developing its wonderfully rich setting. It is also among the best at character development; the viewer gets to see several characters grow and change over the course of the series, some in fairly dramatic ways.

I highly recommend the series. The worst overall grade I would give any of the 10 volumes is a B+, and most would be A- or A.

You can check out the numerical ratings here.

Last edited by Key on Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
IT is a great series. Slow pace, but great nevertheless. I just didn't like how it ended so abruptly at the end of DVD 10. I hope there is more to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
SuperOnizuka wrote:
IT is a great series. Slow pace, but great nevertheless. I just didn't like how it ended so abruptly at the end of DVD 10. I hope there is more to it.

I'm in a Juuni Kokki fanlisting in livejounral, and some members have been mentioning that the series was planned to be 60-something episodes long, but they cut it short at 45. :(

You can find blips of the novels translated online, and I'm really fond of Fuyumi Ono's writing and artistry, and I really want the novels to be translated!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CarmelO__O

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a few episodes and love it. Now I am just waiting patiently for a box set.. Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maclam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
This serie somehow remind of Fushigi Yugi...except the pace is kinda slow much slower than Fushigi Yugi... and it's much more of a politic serie than a romantic one...

At the start, this Serie took a few episode for you to get use to the 2 different worlds... then you'll have to be extremely attentive... since there's a lots of weird names... the kindgoms, the provinces, the chars, and so many different terms that you have to remember to fully enjoy this serie Smile

But if you take it time to watch it carefully... this is an incredible serie... although i would have like it to be much longer Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1