• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So does Samurai Champloo have a overarching story now?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdohg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quote
haven't watched it since episode 10, wondered if it changed any. kind of a disappointment with a lack of a major villian and plot.
No_Name

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
Samurai Champloo 101

10 if (funds == 0) goto 20
20 if (belly == 0) goto 30
30 loop until (funds && belly > 0)
40 seperate and do stuff
50 get laid if possible
60 eat dumplings or rice balls
70 fight
80 end loop
90 travel somewhere else
100 if (sunflower ==0) Goto 10
110 end

Last edited by No_Name on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
Well they do find the Samurai that smells of sunflowers, but it's a lot like Cowboy Bebop as in the central plot doesn't really pick up until the end. In this case, the last three episodes, which is excellent stuff too (especially episode 25). There aren't really any major villains though, well, sort of.

I don't want to spoil it, so I won't tell you.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
jimdohg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
^so in otherwords its a disappointment, man i dont get it the show had so much potential. Doesnt the director know that we need a good villian??? I mean Cowboy Bebop atleast had Vicious!
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
What are you talking about? Champloo is more entertainig than 90% of the shit coming out these days. Perhaps your expectation is way too high because there isn't a lot of show that match up to bebop these day.

I say it did live to what the writer wanted to do with the series and alot of people did enjoy the whole series. But if you can't enjoy a series because there isn't a main villian that appear in every episode to cause havor and die at the end, than I guess you should definitel stop watching champloo, it's not for everyone.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:30 am Reply with quote
jimdohg wrote:
^so in otherwords its a disappointment, man i don't get it the show had so much potential. Doesnt the director know that we need a good villian??? I mean Cowboy Bebop at least had Vicious!

No, I didn't say it was a disappointment. But since a lot of people like to compare both Bebop and Champloo, I was merely stating the similar formula used for the eventual ending of the series.

The ending is by no means a bad one. It's not as shocking as Bebop's, but it fits the entire mood of the series to a T. Heck, they could even continue the franchise if they want from this point, maybe a movie, OAV, or even a 2nd season.

Anyway, the series is very fun beyond episode 10, and as hard as you might find it to believe, it gets very good at the end, but the Bebop comparisons has its limits. At some point you have to realize this isn't Cowboy Bebop, it's Samurai Champloo.

Remember the caption on the first episode? It said "shut up and enjoy the show." Not that I'm telling you to shut up, but I'm merely trying to add on to what darkhunter is saying. It's a fun and entertaining series with some action in between, so enjoy it for what it's worth Wink.
red stranger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
The ending is by no means a bad one. It's not as shocking as Bebop's, but it fits the entire mood of the series to a T.

Cowboy Bebop didn't have a shocking ending. It ends the way the first episode (and Waltz For Venus, and Ganemede Elegey) does. spoiler[Guy and girl try to escape, but they don't make it.] Heck, in Fung Shui Boogie Woogie, Jet even says something like spoiler[once you get that far into a syndicate, you can't leave. They'll just come after you and your loved ones.]

The problem with Champloo is that it's repetative (as some one said earlier), ocasionally derivative, not consistant in quality, and the main characters are nothing special. It also teases you with the sunflower samurai thing, and if you take away the Hip Hop gimmic, it's not much more than an average anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
red stranger wrote:
Cowboy Bebop didn't have a shocking ending. It ends the way the first episode (and Waltz For Venus, and Ganemede Elegey) does. spoiler[Guy and girl try to escape, but they don't make it.] Heck, in Fung Shui Boogie Woogie, Jet even says something like spoiler[once you get that far into a syndicate, you can't leave. They'll just come after you and your loved ones.]

OK, maybe "shocking" isn't the right word, but it did surprise me because I haven't seen very anime where spoiler[ the hero dies]. But I do feel that's one of the elements that make Bebop special. After 25 episodes (and I guess a movie), you get a little attatched and start to develop a sort of understanding or liking for the characters spoiler[ then poof, it's gone when Spike dies].

red stranger wrote:
The problem with Champloo is that it's repetative (as some one said earlier), ocasionally derivative, not consistant in quality, and the main characters are nothing special. It also teases you with the sunflower samurai thing

A lot of anime are repetitive and ocassionally derivative. I mean, Champloo was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, and it's not like he could erase his memory of anything Bebop related and make Champloo from scratch.

You live and learn from your past experiences and I have no problem if he did incorporate any similar themes, ideas, or mannerisms he felt would work.

The show is consistent in terms of comedy, in my opinion, and the characters aren't stellar, but I find them very likeable and that they make the series fun to watch, nonetheless.

As for the Sunflower Samurai search, they do get more in depth about him around episode 19, so it's not like you never learn anything.

red stranger wrote:
if you take away the Hip Hop gimmic, it's not much more than an average anime.

But they didn't. And I'm sure Bebop wouldn't be as good either without Kanno-san's score. That's half the reason I even like it, somewhat out of place or "niche" music being used for style and substance.
jimdohg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
my favorite episodes of Bebop were the ones that tied to the main story. I mean c'mon those are the episodes that were most important and really drew you in. Would you want to watch a REALLY LONNNG movie if it had no main villian? could be entertaining, but it cant ever be great.

because man i was so blown away by the first ep, and as time went on it just went down hill. waiting and waiting for a Story that i guess would never come.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
i don't know, i just thought it was a fun show -but that's me. i mean come on! it had a dog playing baseball.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
djarch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
yeah, Champloo is definitely mostly mashed potatos (side dish) than it is the Turkey (the meat of the meal).

But I LOVE mashed potatoes.

Besides, even if there's less main dish than there is side dish, who cares if you like the side dish just as much, or even more? Season 2 will be more side, I'm sure, but like I said before:

I LOVE MASHED POTATOES.
No_Name

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
What episode is the baseball one?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
No_Name wrote:
What episode is the baseball one?

No_Name

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem with Champloo is that it's repetative

I'm not so sure, every TV show has some sort of formula (even Fooly Cooly). Look at GitS:SAC for instance. Something bad happens, then Section 9 invetigates, and it's solved and over. All the stand alone episodes fallow that exact formula, and from what I've seen (up to 22) so will the Laughing Man case. This formula might be repetative, but the contents of each episode are not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1